Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I find public domain photos of jams?

Default Where can I find public domain photos of jams?

I want to find some public domain photos of Old Time jam sessions to put on my website. I tried the Library of Congress, but what I could find there were only 5 photos, non of which appeal to me.

Any other places on line where I could find p.d. photos?

Another possibility would be to take photos of the jam/s I go to,but that presents problems of getting every player's permission in writing, to post on the web. In fact, I already have a couple of photos of local jammers. I don't even know how to get in touch with some of the folks.

Default Re: Where can I find public domain photos of jams?

What is the purpose of this image? If I were you, I would go to your local jam and ask players if they would give you permission to use their image. If you want to protect yourself you can have them fill out a simple release form. Otherwise, you can buy images from a stock photo site. Third possibility, do a Google (or other) image search and if you find an image, contact the site to find out the photographer and see what you need to get permission to use it. If your site is a commercial site (you make money off it) most photographers would ask for some fee to use their image. If it is a non-profit or persona site, you may not need to pay but probably will be asked to credit the photographer.

I run an old time jam but use my own images.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I don't know if anyone ever asked this before but I found this. Jim's answer of just taking your own is probably good.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Words of truth from Mr Garber. You can contact Getty Images, Stock House or Video Blocks, expect to pay

Name:  sketch.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  11.5 KB

Or you might be able to find a friend who sketches and ask him to do some random drawings during a jam or session. We acquired a box player who also is an artist and when he doesn't know a tune, he picks up his sketchbook.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Hmmmm Good ideas, all. It definitely would behoove me to take my own photos. I like the idea of having a basic permission form. I have one around here someplace.....

On many search engines, you can do an image search and specify the license type, for instance, public domain, creative commons, etc.

Flickr has a commons area. Enormous amount of photos there.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

+1 flickr
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Hi StuartE and Travlin'mando, I did find a lot of great photos on flickr. But I couldn't download, save, or copy one at a time. I checked wikiHOW and it looks very complicated. Any suggestions?

TM, can you explain +1 flickr?

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Stringalong , just a short hand version of saying that I agree with or support flickr. +1 = 1 yes vote. Oops , the election was yesterday.
    Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Thank you, Trav'linmando. And FYI everyone -- I found some cool images. One of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers, and one an old drawing. Hope Gid Tanner et al is not copyrighted....but I'll wait for the copyright police to come after me if it is. Did I already post here what my attorney dad said? "Live free -- or you'll lose the freedoms that we already have."

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Name:  sketch.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  11.5 KB

Or you might be able to find a friend who sketches and ask him to do some random drawings during a jam or session. We acquired a box player who also is an artist and when he doesn't know a tune, he picks up his sketchbook.
    Or that friend could be just a graphical filter, such as an edge finder. This is a photo I just "sketched" of myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161110_081103.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	151098
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Name:	220px-Raspberry-vanilla_beer_jam.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	151099
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Bertrram, so would such a filter fit my Nikon camera? How about my android? Mr. Mando, that's pretty funny. Matter of fact, several of the searches I did got lots of pics of "jam".

I know people suggested Flickr, but you can do a simple image search on Google and click on the search tools box. One of the criteria you can select in there is "Usage Rights" and you can filter for those images which are labelled for re-use. It's very easy to copy images one at a time from there.

19. The following members say thank you to bribhoy for this post:

bribhoy, that is so cool!! I will try it right away!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    Bertrram, so would such a filter fit my Nikon camera? How about my android
    Its a filter to to be applied in a grapic program on your computer after taking the pics. I use xnview, but I think plain old Photoshop might have some of those as well.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post

Name:	220px-Raspberry-vanilla_beer_jam.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	151099
    Technically Martin, that's one jam. At least my link was to multiple jams
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

On your phone you could use the fancy Prisma App, or Oil Effect to modify images.

I would recommend using your own photos. I have a friend who got a significant charge for using an image she pinched off the web on a business web page. You would be amazed how easy it is to get caught. Most cameras have a set of image adjustments built into them but not generally ones that do like the above.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I have a friend who got a significant charge for using an image she pinched off the web on a business web page. You would be amazed how easy it is to get caught.
    I made the mistake of using some images on an early business website several years ago, images that turned out to belong to Getty. I received an education at that time. Chose to pay quite a fee and continue usage of one of those images. I've purchased image rights cheaply from some of the popular sites that offer them (some of which have been mentioned), and I still pilfer an image or two from time to time and take my own quite often as well.

Did I already post here what my attorney dad said? "Live free -- or you'll lose the freedoms that we already have."
    stringalong, your dad is a wise man. I live my life that way in large part, just remember that if you take risks you should also count the cost and pay the consequences when they arise.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks for the compliment for my dad, Mark. And JEStanek, between your and Mark's messages, I'm shaking in my shoes...Really! I have some photos on my site I grabbed from google images.I hope I don't have to face any dire consequences while I decide what to do about them. One thing I CAN do, is some forms of art. I might just trace the images and repost them as my own. I'll change them up, too. Good deal! I'll do that - something to draw in the winter that inspires me! I usually do nature scenes, but I can only do them in the summer when the weather is good outdoors.

Offer jam host to buy pizza for a photo session...invite local Getty/IStock photog to shoot and bring model releases. You get content, jammers get pizza and maybe a portrait, photog gets access, everyone leaves happy.

27. The following members say thank you to anntorrence for this post:

Excellent and creative idea, anntorrance! A definite possibility I will seriously consider doing.

Sorry to be the bearer of confuzzlement but it's my understanding that, in addition to anntorrence's mention of model release, there can also be issues with derivative works.

Such as, I think, (?) tracing and digital alterations etc.

I managed to further confuse myself by reading a copyright lawyer's blog page on "Photographs and Derivative Works".

And that's not all, there's this too:

If I take a picture with my own camera... why do I have to worry about other copyright holders?

Huh. So, I'm thinking, pictures with no people, no trademarked product logos in view anywhere even if hand-drawn from memory, ... or else really extra super old pictures of people who had no heirs nor other copyright-enforcers...

Something to be said for oldfashioned painting, I guess. A painting can be made to barely resemble reality so no one recognizes anyone/anything in the painting... I would *think* (probably wrong) one would not need model release if the models turn out looking like paint blobs instead of unique faces...

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    If it wasn't for that, I'd have recommended playing a jam with yourself and a camera, of course after obtaining a permit from yourself so you won't sue yourself.
    But now I am sure Nike's legal department will be after me

P.S. thinking again, Sean Connery and George Clooney will be after me, too, for using their faces in a derivative style...
    Last edited by Bertram Henze; Nov-11-2016 at 5:45am.

31. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post: