Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: The search continues...

Default Re: The search continues...

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    They just don't have wives who find the sport interesting enough to blog about.
    I'm not convinced Demetrius does either. There's an unpleasant whiff of testosterone coming off that blog.

The real Katherine Becrelis blogs here: http://thehousegodbuilt.weebly.com/

Businesses are open to make money. If he wants to pay retail for their instruments and then sell them for less money on the secondary market, I am sure they would love his repeat business.

Credibility among buyers and sellers is important, especially dealing in high end instruments. Many instruments change hands very quietly, with few people knowing their availability. If your credibility as a buyer is suspect, especially if you waffle with making decisions over transactions, you become persona non-grata. Build a reputation as some who cannot consummate a sale and doors close. You can pooh pooh this all you want, but the community is very small, and gets even smaller in the upper pricing echelon.

Blogging and threads like this are entertaining, but there is a downside too.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Businesses are open to make money. If he wants to pay retail for their instruments and then sell them for less money on the secondary market, I am sure they would love his repeat business.
    You'd be surprised. It's not worth the hassle. Most of the high end stuff is consigned, and stores are very careful about shipping out these instruments. Many, including Gryphon no longer ship consigned instruments. If you want to buy it, you go in person or send someone to buy it for you.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Maybe I'm wrong, but since this thread started he's at 50% keeping the high dollar instruments. Those are great odds when you factor in the fact the he pays shipping and the item is insured. They also already have the money and can refund accordingly if there is any funny business. Seems like a great customer to me, especially considering that if you treat him well he could be a repeat customer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but since this thread started he's at 50% keeping the high dollar instruments. Those are great odds when you factor in the fact the he pays shipping and the item is insured.
    My memory may be wrong, but a Givens was bought and returned to Elderly. A Gilchrist was bought and returned to Gryphon. The Wiens was bought and is now up for sale a week or so later......that's 0 for 3 in my book, not 50% ???

People keep mentioning the instruments are insured like there is no risk involved......ANYTIME an instrument is put in the hands of a non-player there is risk, let alone put into a box and sent coast to coast! Yes, the VALUE can be insured. The instrument cannot -- by that I mean, if the instrument gets damaged, it is still damaged, regardless of insurance.........I say that speaking to a forum of mandolin lovers!

Dude the Wiens is for sale on the secondary market because he bought it. I guarantee you the store that sold the Wiens could care less now that it is out of their inventory. I forgot about the Givens. He is clearly serious about buying high dollar items and does not have the reputation of serial returning. If he wanted something I was selling, I would gladly sell to him and I'd be polite about it.

9. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

I've never bought an instrument anywhere close to this price range, and if I did I'd want to make sure I was getting what I really wanted. I've bought several instruments online, but all for < 1600 dollars. Though I've been disappointed in at least two of them (tone on one, playability on the other), I've not returned any of them, because they all arrived in the condition advertised. I gave the one that disappointed me in tone to my brother, who needed an A/E mando for his praise band (and runs it through a preamp into a board that meets his requirements well), because I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it (and it was only $350, but he couldn't afford it at the time, so it genuinely helped out him and his ministry). The other I just fixed the set up issue. Honestly, it was cheaper to do that than it would have been to pay the shipping both ways, and it plays great now.

I have a personal rule that I won't buy anything over 2000 dollars without playing it first. I may someday break that rule for something rare or something very difficult to find, but probably not. Nashville is only a 6 hour drive away, and my wife enjoys that town as well, so...I agree with all of those suggesting the OP take a trip to Nashville or Elderly and refuse to buy unless you find one you truly can't put down.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I've never bought an instrument anywhere close to this price range, and if I did I'd want to make sure I was getting what I really wanted. I've bought several instruments online, but all for < 1600 dollars. Though I've been disappointed in at least two of them (tone on one, playability on the other), I've not returned any of them, because they all arrived in the condition advertised. I gave the one that disappointed me in tone to my brother, who needed an A/E mando for his praise band (and runs it through a preamp into a board that meets his requirements well), because I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it (and it was only $350, but he couldn't afford it at the time, so it genuinely helped out him and his ministry). The other I just fixed the set up issue. Honestly, it was cheaper to do that than it would have been to pay the shipping both ways, and it plays great now.

I have a personal rule that I won't buy anything over 2000 dollars without playing it first. I may someday break that rule for something rare or something very difficult to find, but probably not. Nashville is only a 6 hour drive away, and my wife enjoys that town as well, so...I agree with all of those suggesting the OP take a trip to Nashville or Elderly and refuse to buy unless you find one you truly can't put down.
    What happens when the instrument you are interested in is located in Texas? There are mandolins up for sale in this price range constantly in the classifieds, and they are located all over the country. I'd say it's very common for someone to buy a $10,000 mandolin without playing it first. Unless you live close to Nashville, you're going to have a hard time finding a big grouping of these mandolins for sale in one location.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Dem just needs to find the "ONE", nothing wrong with searching and trying a bunch to find one that speaks to him. When he finds it there should be no doubt no regrets just happy bliss, For some of us its an obsession, I found my ONE but hey always lookin, When I should be playing....Happy Hunting
    He just needs to find "the one" without having to buy them all to try them out.
    Last edited by Sheryl McDonald; Aug-15-2016 at 6:07pm.
    Sheryl --- Me

He is clearly serious about buying high dollar items and does not have the reputation of serial returning.
    I agree with the first part and am not sure how we should define the second part. I say this having worked retail for a vintage guitar shop. Part of it is that wealthy customers are given "extra" leeway because the store is hoping for a big sale. Sometimes it is something small like an extra day to decide or an extra adjustment or two, and it is unwritten, but the customer knows they have that power. Sometimes, the extra leeway is carried too far. Usually business is conducted in a gentlemanly manner resulting in a successful sale and it never comes up. I think this discussion has been enlightening for many of us, not only because of the value of the instruments involved, but also that Demetrius is so open about sharing his viewpoint/feelings -- whether or not we happen to agree with him.

[QUOTE=Jeff Mando;1514089]I agree with the first part and am not sure how we should define the second part. I say this having worked retail for a vintage guitar shop. Part of it is that wealthy customers are given "extra" leeway because the store is hoping for a big sale. Sometimes it is something small like an extra day to decide or an extra adjustment or two, and it is unwritten, but the customer knows they have that power. Sometimes, the extra leeway is carried too far. Usually business is conducted in a gentlemanly manner resulting in a successful sale and it never comes up. I think this discussion has been enlightening for many of us, not only because of the value of the instruments involved, but also that Demetrius is so open about sharing his viewpoint/feelings -- whether or not we happen to agree with him.[/QUOTE]

+1
    its his $ and time.
    I'm enjoying the thread.

So my thought at this point, Dem, take the Wiens, take a few days, and head to nashvegas. Carters might do a decent swap for that V8. Or, you might find another one that appeals better. Take a few days there and play them out.

d

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    So my thought at this point, Dem, take the Wiens, take a few days, and head to nashvegas.
    It is just adorable that at this point any of you think he is actually going to listen to your advice.

Just adorable.

16. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if Dem will go through this same process as he continues acquiring each of the other required 5 to 10 mandolins that are necessary to satisfy his MAS... If so, this thread is going to be about 250 pages.

My personal thought is that life is too short -- it's time to settle down and make music. But for some people the chase is more fun than the capture. To each their own, as long as The Musician's Wife is also enjoying the ride.

-- Don

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    It is just adorable that at this point any of you think he is actually going to listen to your advice.

Just adorable.
    I say, throw in a lunch at Jacks BBQ on broadstreet, an ice cream cone, and we go one step further to lovely.

just lovely.
    take in a show at the Ryman, and we go to having a grand time.
    just grand.
    I say go for grand.
    trip, mandos, Jacks BBQ, ice cream, show at the Ryman.

this Franc, is adorable:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08877.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	419.2 KB 
ID:	148943
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Aug-15-2016 at 7:57pm.

19. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I find myself repeating the observation that this is the triumph of money over common sense.

By now, the financial losses associated with turning over three high-end mandolins (Givens, Gilchrist, Wiens) in rapid succession --including shipping, insurance, loss at resale -- would easily have paid for that exploratory trip to Nashville that so many of us recommended.

21. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

[QUOTE=darylcrisp;1514092]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I agree with the first part and am not sure how we should define the second part. I say this having worked retail for a vintage guitar shop. Part of it is that wealthy customers are given "extra" leeway because the store is hoping for a big sale. Sometimes it is something small like an extra day to decide or an extra adjustment or two, and it is unwritten, but the customer knows they have that power. Sometimes, the extra leeway is carried too far. Usually business is conducted in a gentlemanly manner resulting in a successful sale and it never comes up. I think this discussion has been enlightening for many of us, not only because of the value of the instruments involved, but also that Demetrius is so open about sharing his viewpoint/feelings -- whether or not we happen to agree with him.[/QUOTE]

+1
    its his $ and time.
    I'm enjoying the thread.

So my thought at this point, Dem, take the Wiens, take a few days, and head to nashvegas. Carters might do a decent swap for that V8. Or, you might find another one that appeals better. Take a few days there and play them out.

d
    I am not sure that Demetrius has taken heed of the good advice given here on the cafe. Daryl is reiterating what I suggested a few posts ago. I go back to the mandolin tasting meet in Massachusetts some time back. Based on that video I could not find much difference in tone among the Dudenbostels, Gilchrists, etc. Basically there were pretty much all F5s with an Adi top probably graduated to the same specs with some tweaks here and there. The Wiens he has at the moment has the same genetics and tone as the ones I have mentioned. What it comes down to is look and feel of the instrument when you play it. How your left hands feels around the neck is pretty important, the type of frets used and how well the fretboard is put together, all makes a huge difference to a mandolin. Whether you like it or not Collings have pretty much nailed it when it comes to putting this altogether. Some Collings may sound a bit bright but guess what they sound great miked up and they cut through the mix.

Basically we can go on advising Demetrius about what to look for and not see much progress. Until he starts posting some decent feedback on what makes him tic as a musician and how he intends to use a mandolin and responding in detail to some of the very good posts and advice on here we will be just blowing in the wind. Like Bob Dylan wrote in his refrain ' the answer my friend is blowing in the wind'.
    Nic Gellie

I laugh when people state their opinions and assumptions of me as if they are facts. I think it's entertaining that the ones who bad mouth me the most, are also the ones who post the most. You will literally never get under my skin... Lol

Like someone on here said before, I'm not doing anything different than most of the people on here. Only difference is my wife and I chose to make it public. If you don't like it, then it's simple: don't read it..

So, lighten up lads, no need to get all worked up. Besides it's my time and money not yours..

P.S. Only thing that was out of line, and I will say this to the individual who said that there is a whiff of testosterone on my wife's blog... Really? You're gonna go there, dude? Come on man... Keep this nice, especially to the ladies. That's being a gentleman.
    Last edited by Demetrius; Aug-16-2016 at 8:23am.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

But I do live close-ish to Nashville...that's why I said it's only a 6 hour drive. And also why I threw Elderly in there; isn't Dem from Michigan?

Also, if the instrument is in Texas, I have a brother in Fort Worth, which puts Austin in striking distance.

Spending even more than 3 or 4 grand on a hobby is a big deal for me. I'm admittedly not a pro. Hence the (very personal and certainly not applicable to everyone) rule.

Fwiw (absolutely zilch), I am ambivalent regarding Dem's search. It's his time and dime, and he can do with it as he pleases, accepting whatever consequences (positive or negative) may come. I'm just enjoying watching how worked up some folks are getting over this thread
    Last edited by CES; Aug-16-2016 at 9:24am.
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I laugh when people state thier opinions and assumptions of me as if they are facts.. I think it's entertaining that the ones who bad mouth me the most are the ones who post the most. You will literally never get under my skin... Lol
    Like someone on here said before, I'm not doing anything different than most of the people on here. Only difference is my wife and I chose to make it public. if you don't like it then it's simple, don't read it..
    So Lighten up lads, no need to get all worked up. Besides it's my time and money not yours..

P.S. Only thing that was out of line, and I will say this to the individual who implied a whiff of testosterone on my wife's blog? Really? You're gonna go there dude? Come one man... Keep this nice especially to the ladies. That's being a gentle-man

Well Said. Happy Hunting,Best O' Luck on finding YOUR treasure

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    P.S. Only thing that was out of line, and I will say this to the individual who said that there is a whiff of testosterone on my wife's blog... Really? You're gonna go there, dude? Come on man... Keep this nice, especially to the ladies. That's being a gentleman.
    I think you misunderstand houseworker's point.

Anyhow... Back to mandolins!

30. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    I think you misunderstand houseworker's point.
    Yeah, I think he was saying that you (Demetrius) are the one behind your wife's blog. That it's not really her but you coordinating it somehow.

But you're right, leave that kind of thing out of this thread.

None the less that was a ridiculous statement, and accusation. And that's still not offensive to my wife how?
    No Nevermind.. Seriously back to mandolins...

33. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Indeed, back to mandolins.

In this thread

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...57#post1507157

you wrote:

"Hi, I'm interested in some feedback from some Wiens mandolin owners.
    I can't seem to find but a couple videos on YouTube, I'd also love to hear from
    some owners that have really broken them in and explain how it withstood
    the test of time. He really does do beautiful work, I really hope some owners
    chime in here."

So I am wondering, now that you are a Wiens owner (and also looking to sell a Wiens), are you going to post a full length video of yourself putting the Wiens through its paces?