Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harder to sell, easier to find mandolins

Default Re: Harder to sell, easier to find mandolins

I don't see why they would be separate. When I'm looking to buy an instrument, I don't care who the seller is necessarily - I care about the instrument first, price second. Having them all in one spot makes it easier for me as a potential buyer to find the instruments that I want. Plus, the retailers that post help me find new retail spots I can visit during my travels (always a plus!)

Keep 'em together!
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

2. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

I think that the Cafe Classifieds has become the best site on the internet to buy and sell mandolins, and family related instruments. I think they are doing a great job and trust their judgement 100%. You can buy a starter mandolin or go all the way up a Loar, with everything in between. A lot of great mandolins have passed through the classifieds over the years.

To me, it doesn't matter if it's from a retailer, or private seller. I've bought and traded a few mandolins in the classifieds that have happened to be from private sellers. It was because it was the mandolin I was looking for at the right time and the right price.

Without throwing a blanket statement, I've always felt safe when buying here. Of course cautionary judgement should always be exercised in each case, I've only found sellers that have been accommodating and helpful. If I didn't feel right about it, I moved on. Trust is a big issue when buying something online and I'm happy to say that I have only had positive experiences here.

Keep on doing a great job and thank you!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Blog Entries

I like them all being together. If you are having issues finding a particular mandolin do what I do - look at all of them.

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

Our classifieds are the best. No other location (not even e-bay) will have the breadth of mandolins as this place does. I also feel the playing field in incredibly even. Especially since Scott added things to the classifieds like previous selling history. Couple that with it being free (suggest you make a donation to the site if you make a sale) it can't be beat. Every one of my mandolin sales (and purchases ) via the classifieds has been great. There's also a lot going on behind the scenes (not by us moderators but the site owner) to keep them legit.

Make no mistake, there are PLENTY of ads that show up with unreasonable prices because the owner doesn't really want to sell but is making the effort for appearances sake "hey, I tried but it wouldn't sell for what it's worth "

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Although I don't get to play them, I get to see lots of mandolins that I normally wouldn't see. Sometimes it's nice to just look, read and learn about them. I also think the retailer listings help set the pricing market.

9. The following members say thank you to Jimmy Kittle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Make no mistake, there are PLENTY of ads that show up with unreasonable prices because the owner doesn't really want to sell but is making the effort for appearances sake "hey, I tried but it wouldn't sell for what it's worth "

Jamie
    I always wonder if an obviously overpriced instrument is this or just that the seller really thinks they have something special. When I go through a private seller, it's because the deal I'm getting is worth the increase in risk vs. a reputable dealer.

Along that line, one difference I've noticed between private and dealers recently is the number of private sellers who will (maybe) include shipping in the price but then want the buyer to pay for the PP fees on top of the price of the mandolin or use the no fee 'friends' option.

Shipping makes sense as it can vary so much depending on where it's headed, but I'm not going to expose myself to the loss of potentially hundreds or thousands of dollars just because someone doesn't want pay a few bucks to get their cash. A $3k transaction is only going to cost you $90 buddy, and you'll probably give away more than that in the negotiation.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I haven't noticed an outsized ratio of dealer adverts to private adverts on this site.

The dynamic that I suspect is working here is that it is harder to sell a $20k mandolin than a $2k one.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

12. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Yes, the pool of buyers over $4k actually gets smaller and diminishes even further as the prices rise.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

14. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Personally, If in market for a mando, I would look at retailers and private sellers. For a retailer to advertise a select few mandos here would not do much help. Id go to their website to see more....which is the only reason they would advertise in classifieds. Exposure.

Do retailers automatically donate upon making a posting to the classifieds or upon sale? Do they donate monthly? Just curious as, on their listings, I tend to click the link to their websites, and, as a consumer, I would like to better reflect where I am finding their listings: the mando cafe. Are those clicks being tracked?

I love how the Café is setup. I enjoy the classifieds all together(private and dealer sales). I think every mandolin I have purchased has come about due to these classifieds(new and used). It gives me one place, to browse, to click, to expand(as in a dealer, the other available instruments), rather than hunting on my own.

There's also this vibe going on here. There is a feeling of safety in buying from these classifieds-for the most part I do believe, most items listed for sale are as presented and tend to be sold from individuals with honest intentions.

I was a moderator for years on another instrument forum. The classifieds were broken up there into private and dealer subforums. For me, it wasn't as good.

i love this place, it rocks in all areas!
    d