Thread: Blind Blake

Default Blind Blake

Yep, I'm very late to the game, but I just discovered the great blues and ragtime guitarist Blind Blake. So, simple question: anyone know of some good mandolin tabs for Blind Blake songs? I'm especially digging "Blind Arthur's Breakdown," and have been trying to work up a mandolin version. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blind Blake

Blind Blake is wonderful. My band does Ditty Wha Ditty, and we are working on Dry Bone Shuffle (which will change everyone's mind about lack of love for the bones player. All we could find was lyrics and chords, and we figured out something that made sense for a performance.

I am thinking you are probably going to find it easier to find guitar tabs for Blind Blake, if at all. Good luck.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Miltown View Post
    Yep, I'm very late to the game, but I just discovered the great blues and ragtime guitarist Blind Blake. So, simple question: anyone know of some good mandolin tabs for Blind Blake songs? I'm especially digging "Blind Arthur's Breakdown," and have been trying to work up a mandolin version. Any help would be appreciated.
    I think it's a great idea, Blind Arthur's Breakdown would probably sit well as a chord melody on the mandolin. Agree with JeffD, mandolin specific tabs probably won't be available, you'll be charting (kind of) new territory if you develop some tablatures for mandolin.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

love Blake's music and play a few tunes on the guitar. Hope to hear your video, 'cause my mind doesn't hear the mandolin and Blake together.

not that I'm too creative that is. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

That is virtuoso fingerpicking. Not sure how it would translate to mandolin but you can certainly try.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Fatt-Dad, but "Blind Arthur's Breakdown" has been "removed for copyright reasons" in Canada. I'm sure I can find it elsewhere.

However, here are Blind Blake interpretations on mandolin (no tabs though), so Milltown, I guess you're not the first to think that Blind Blake would sound good on mandolin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ckkOimmGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FlVpriS9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9opEL4H2zHQ

Rich DelGrosso's book, Mandolin Blues, has ragtime blues with tabs, though not Blind Blake tunes.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Ranald; Mar-01-2018 at 3:26pm. Reason: typo

9. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That is virtuoso fingerpicking. Not sure how it would translate to mandolin but you can certainly try
    So far my attempts have not been, umm, all that successful. I need to practice a whole lot more.

Maybe Aaron Weinstein with his amazing chord melody versions of old jazz songs could work up a good version, but it's beyond me.

In the meantime I'm going to get the Rich Del Grosso book Ranald mentions and work on some easier ragtime blues.

[QUOTE=Ranald;1636914]Thanks, Fatt-Dad, but "Blind Arthur's Breakdown" has been "removed for copyright reasons" in Canada. I'm sure I can find it elsewhere.

That thanks for the video should have been addresssed to Jim Garber.

I think that particular Blind Blake song would be hard to do on mandolin while keeping the feel of the original. I've had a go at another Blind Blake song, basically just copying one fill to try to get a little of the feeling. These slower bluesy songs seem a bit more doable to me. See what you think.

13. The following members say thank you to ampyjoe for this post:

Ranald