Thread: Jerry Douglas Band at Grey Fox

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Jerry Douglas Band at Grey Fox

The main stage lineup at Grey Fox was pretty awesome this year. The music was powerful, and every act really nailed their set. I have to say that I was blown away, I mean away, by the Jerry Douglas Band. Yes, I know it ain't no part of nuthin' far as bluegrass goes. That's fine. As Jerry mentioned, this is not an Earls of Leicester show. This band simply puts it together with incredible taste. The funky-jazzy sound they made reminded me of Steely Dan meets Alan Parsons Project meets Floyd's Animals. The entire band is incredible, and man those horns were hot, but Mike Seal/guitar was a special delight.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Default Re: Jerry Douglas Band at Grey Fox

I admit I missed Saturday night as I have a blind 15yrold lab I had to get back to. The first 2 nights were amazing. Billy Strings tore it up, Grateful Ball were great, Rickey Skaggs with some former members, string dusters ripped....etc

Jerry Douglas has a great band but I get tired of listening to them for more than 15 minutes. Id rather see him in a bluegrass setting.

What was this band's repertoire?

How and why does a band like this even get booked on a "Bluegrass Festival"...Wake up folks, if this keeps up bluegrass will be a thing of the past...I do not find fault with the musicians for playing what they want and to make a living but to book this kind of band on a bluegrass setting just isn`t right, money hungry promoters call everything bluegrass or what ever the kind of music that is being played on a given day...

I KNOW, TIMES ARE CHANGING......But call the music what it is and not what will attract a crowd.....

Willie

5. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    What was this band's repertoire?
    http://www.rounder.com/2017/06/the-j...-band-what-if/ The set list was the album.

I don't get the negativity that folks feel they have to interject. Grey Fox did a great job of balancing really traditional acts and others. Jerry made it clear it wasn't a Leicester set; much as said exactly that. It was interesting that many of the younger acts were coming up from Red Wings Roots festival where Tim O'Brien was also playing.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Thanks for the info, Dave. I was unaware of his latest, looks interesting.

Time are a changin'.
    Traditional bluegrass seems to be fading from many festivals as new performers rise. Too many chords thus taking the blue out of bluegrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Time are a changin'.
    Traditional bluegrass seems to be fading from many festivals as new performers rise. Too many chords thus taking the blue out of bluegrass.
    Hi. I'm really hesitant to engage in this conversation which seems primed to ruffle feathers. I'll do my best to tread lightly.

Most of us, but by no means all of us, really like traditional bluegrass. We like the Bill Monroe quintet that plays 1-4-5 songs with traditional rural themes and lots of Bill and Flatt and Scruggs covers. It's great festival music for sure.

Three days of traditional bluegrass has limited appeal, even for a lot of diehards and it certainly doesn't won't bring in the crowds we now see. How many here on the board want to hear nothing but trad? I don't. Back in the 70s the long hairs did their thing that was destined to ruin bluegrass- you know the story. Well the festivals got bigger and trad bluegrass didn't go away. That was the story then and that's the story now.

The genre has expanded in a 100 directions- classical stuff, Tony Rice stuff, jam stuff, singer-songwriter stuff, string band stuff, etc. That's not bad, people are drawn to the instruments, want to make music, play out, put their creative stamp on it, and go forth with their dream. All the power to them. It would be mighty boring otherwise.

Next festival that you attend, head to the parking to lot to pick with the trad crowd when the that dratted major 7th chord rears it's ugly head.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mando_dan For This Useful Post: