Thread: Martin mandolin info

Default Martin mandolin info

So, I was gifted a beautiful Martin mandolin from my niece for Christmas. How cool is that? She's had it for years and hasn't played it for a long time. She thought it was from the 40's, but wasn't sure. It has a serial no. A- 18695 inside. Does anyone have an idea when this little beauty was born? Thanks in advance.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Martin mandolin info

Light strings and a light touch will make that thing sing Christmas carols with real soul. Merry Christmas. Its not intended for bluegrass and chop chords but it is a wonderful instrument.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

===========

Sweeeeet.

I have owned a couple of Martin Style 20 mandolins over the years, and enjoyed them thoroughly. I might never have discovered the beauty of oval hole mandolins, and would not be the type of player that I am today, without them.

Enjoy!

Congrats but posting some photos would be nice.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Teacher, repair person

The serial number indicates that your mandolin is a Martin style A made in 1948.
    May you enjoy it!

Hey, thanks for all the replies. Looks like late 40's- kind of what we thought. It's in pristine condition for an instrument of that age. I just need to put some new strings on it to make it really sing, although it doesn't sound bad now. I knew the Mandolin Cafe community would come through for me in dating the mandolin. Thanks again and Happy New Year everybody!!!!
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Jefe....ese es un maravilloso regalo de tu sobrina....felicitationes! Realmente amo a mi Martin!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Jefe....ese es un maravilloso regalo de tu sobrina....felicitationes! Realmente amo a mi Martin!

Mick
    Hey Mick- well it's a good thing I know a little Spanish. Yes, I do like fondue. Adios, El Chiefo.

10. The following members say thank you to Chief for this post: