Thread: question for repair/ID instument

Default question for repair/ID instument

Hello, First post ever here!

I purchased a Mandolin for $30.00. It has a string missing and I know nothing about musical instruments.

The top has the name Amigo and the tag inside reads: Lotus AMM 320 made in Romania.

From what I have searched it is a low end made in mass product in the 70s?

If I want to refurbish just to learn /beginner level lessons and would like to know if it is worth the repair cost for a missing string or new set of strings.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Default Re: question for repair/ID instument

Hi Kathryn - welcome to the forum.

There were many mandolins coming out of Romania back in the 1970s and, no matter what name was on them, they all looked more or less the same and many people started with one of those back in the day.

It's impossible to say whether your particular mandolin is likely to be playable or worthwhile making playable but don't get hung up on missing/broken strings. Strings are disposable items and most players change them on a regular basis - several times a year.

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Kathryn, welcome. You may find a good set up is more than the cost of your mandolin, but necessary. I would rather have a beginner have a good setup than good sound and poor setup. Better sound can be found for more money as you progress and want to upgrade, until then I would get it set up and get light strings for it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Here's is what I might do...

I would go over to http://m.juststrings.com (nfi) and I would buy a pack of Martin strings. They are light gauge (easier on your fingers) and inexpensive but a fine string and a good place to start.

Next I would go to you guitar or banjo (yes. I know, I know.) Playing friend (if you have one) and ask them to help you do a string change and bridge intonation adjustment. This could require some work but may also be fairly easy. YouTube is helpful for these things (I learn well by watching the video).

Then I would bake that friend some cookies and thank them.

After that I would start play the "you know what" out of that mando 😄

Good luck on your mandolin journey!

7. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

If you have a good stringed instrument shop, one that does repairs and adjustments, I'd take it there and have a qualified person take a look at it.

Almost any mandolin is worth at least one set of new strings. The other issues, of course, are whether there are any other problems with it, and whether it needs to be properly set up to be easily playable. Probably it does.

Amigo instruments, Romanian made, are still found here and there -- Amazon's selling an Amigo student guitar for $117.

You have minimal money invested in the mandolin, and if you can get it restrung and adjusted for $75 or so, you'll (hopefully) have a playable student instrument for around $100. The question is whether there's anything else wrong with it, and to determine that, I'd have an experienced instrument tech check it out.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Someone suggested to enlist a banjo or guitar player help if you know one. Do you know a mandolin player? If so he or she could probably tell you if the mandolin is worth making playable. If you don’t know a mandolin player, is there a jam or open mic in your area that might have a mandolin player? If so ask them, all mandolin players I know are great people and just love to help a beginner. I know that sounds sarcastic but there is a lot of truth there and it won’t hurt to ask.

11. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Someone suggested to enlist a banjo or guitar player help if you know one. Do you know a mandolin player? If so he or she could probably tell you if the mandolin is worth making playable. If you don’t know a mandolin player, is there a jam or open mic in your area that might have a mandolin player? If so ask them, all mandolin players I know are great people and just love to help a beginner. I know that sounds sarcastic but there is a lot of truth there and it won’t hurt to ask.
    Good ppint. This is very true.

13. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Wow! you are all so nice to respond to my question so soon! My family are all in Maine and several family members play the guitar, banjo and mandolin, so, I bought this one and want to give it as a gift. I bought a beginners music book and a pic so far for my sister. yah, I know pushing /giving a gift to someone to play an instrument is sort of strange but the "tradition" of playing is in her blood line /her side of the family. We are half sisters, and her Dad's family all play. I figure maybe she is a natural as they all seem to be musically inclined and so this is sort of me being a crazy older sister .. annoying but well-intended at heart. I am hoping she can play me a few tunes when we are old and sitting in our porch chairs sipping our wine. Maybe I should mail the mandolin and a set of Martin strings to a family member and ask them to fix it /tune it for me? I did contact a music store here in Augusta, GA and will see what they think. You all are great. I just love acoustic guitar and banjo and mandolin music but never get out to hear people play. I grew up hearing it at most all family gatherings and sometimes at my former church we had very talented people visit and I miss it so. I am so glad I signed up on this forum!

And we're glad you're here.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by KathyS62 View Post
    I grew up hearing it at most all family gatherings and sometimes at my former church we had very talented people visit and I miss it so. I am so glad I signed up on this forum!
    My story to learning Mandolin/Guitar is very much highlighted here. I liked the non electric hymns played at church when a was a tot. I miss hearing those songs at service.

Glad your here and welcome!