Thread: Who bought the broken Northfield on eBay this weekend

Default Who bought the broken Northfield on eBay this weekend

Ok which one of you bought the broken Northfield this weekend on eBay?I'm curious on what your plans are.

Link below (take 2)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Northfield-F5SE-Project-Mandolin-/352640315958?_trksid=p2349624.m43663.l10137&nordt= true&rt=nc#vi__app-cvip-panel
    Last edited by Deyoung; Apr-22-2019 at 2:40pm.

Default Re: Who bought the broken Northfield on eBay this weekend

that link is not to a Northfield.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

If you type in Northfield mandolin on eBay search, then click sold items on the left side, it will show up.

That one was sold by Gryphon Guitars, who are experts in repair. If THEY are afraid of it, I would be, also.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    If you type in Northfield mandolin on eBay search, then click sold items on the left side, it will show up.

That one was sold by Gryphon Guitars, who are experts in repair. If THEY are afraid of it, I would be, also.......
    Some clarification. Gryphon said no such thing nor implied it by offering it for sale.

What Gryphon stated in their Instagram post regarding the same instrument:

Here’s an example of something that looks horrible at first glance but on closer examination, it’s not as bad as it looks. This Northfield F5SE mandolin does have an utterly destroyed neck but its body is in very good structural condition. All the parts are there--tuners, bridge, etc.--and it can be restored in a couple of different ways. You could try and splice the headstock back on or make a whole new neck. Either way you go, you’ll wind up up with a great sounding instrument when you’re done. We currently have this listed on eBay and you can find the listing by searching for our user name gryphonguitars or by looking for Northfield F5SE Mandolin Project.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Some clarification. Gryphon said no such thing nor implied it by offering it for sale.
    OK, I see from the completed listings on eBay that Gryphon often sells projects, for whatever reasons. My comment was meant as a compliment that Frank Ford can restore anything, as evidenced by his website, which I often enjoy and have learned a lot from. Sorry to imply anything negative.

I bought a 1970 Guild D 35 from them years ago for $200. If they do a neck reset on a customer's guitar, they make around $1200. If the same repair guy fixes a 1970 Guild D 35, maybe they sell it for $1200. Sell the guitar to me as a fixer for $200, they make $1400 with the same labor cost. Simple economics. A lot of these were bought for when Gryphon's repair department had down time, witch last occurred in 1977.April 2nd to the 5th to be exact.

Frank might fix your Loar, or that prewar Martin. They only have time for Martin warrenty work on guitars sold by Griffon. Maybe that Northridge was crushed in shipping and even Northfield didn't want to touch it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

"If they do a neck reset on a customer's guitar, they make around $1200." Well that might well be the most expensive neck re-set in N America.....

Reset, refret, nut, saddle, and bridge. And they have maybe the most accomplished repair person west of the Mississippi river in one of the most exclusive towns smack in Silicon Valley.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Br1ck, Dennis Berck, Mark Tossman, Alan Perlman, & David Eichelbaum (for starters) all live west of the Mississippi & are highly regarded when it comes to working on vintage Martins. Gryphon has number of people on their repair staff. Do you really think Frank Ford (as highly regarded as he is) does every neck re-set?

Gryphon, or any other reputable repair department, won't allow anyone who isn't qualified do a neck reset. And they, like others, have a qualified and skilled team.

I suspect the OP didn't intend this thread to be a pissing match about favorite luthiers.

Suggesting I think Frank Ford does every neck reset that comes into Gryphon is a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Someone commented on cost, and I gave many reasons as they would likely be more than most places.

If you hire a lawyer from a top law firm,you will pay more, in part because of the access to the top legal minds at the firm.

Probably the only repair work Frank does these days is on only the most exceptional instruments.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Whatever.... You're the one throwing out absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Gryphon, or any other reputable repair department, won't allow anyone who isn't qualified do a neck reset. And they, like others, have a qualified and skilled team.

I suspect the OP didn't intend this thread to be a pissing match about favorite luthiers.
    Perhaps not, but when it comes to work on a vintage instrument, it's who has their hands on the instrument, not what well-respected repairman has his name on the company masthead....

Blog Entries

Doc and Br1ck, I'm extending leave of absence for both of you from this discussion. Better yet, PM each other and toss your darts because *I* am tired of it. Start a custom user group between the two of you so you can discuss further. Exchange emails and settle it.

There's a fine line knowing when to stop and move on. Clearly, neither of you know the difference. Like to test my patience? Go ahead, post one more time in this discussion.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Looks like the best solution for that would be to send it to Northfield, and have them send it back over to the factory for a new neck...

Thanks, when we say don't post further, we really mean it.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Apr-23-2019 at 9:17pm.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Question asked and answered.

20. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post: