Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Don't Perform In Public....

Default Re: If You Don't Perform In Public....

Well, if you're buying an instrument for any other reason than you like the sound or the fit or any other personal advantage, why are you buying at all? Isn't it about the music? You play what you love, can afford or what you have available. Most of the rest is moot. I bought one instrument out of my price range because it was a spectacular instrument. Nobody I know (except the few who are fellow mandolinists) even knows the name of the instrument that I play, but that doesn't stop me from playing it and the fact that, even when I'm gigging out, nobody knows what a snakehead is also has nothing to do with why I bought the instrument. To tell the truth, I stopped caring what other people were imagining about me when I was about 25, so a question like this just makes no sense to me. I mean, why not? who cares?
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    If you don't perform in public...
    Public performance has got nothing to do with it. Audiences are not staffed with instrument experts, so you can take your laminated cheapo to Carnegie Hall and raise everybody out of their seats with applause if you can play it well enough.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

If you don't perform in public, why would you want a Gibson Lloyd Loar, Gilchrist, Red Diamond, or any other high-end/high-cost mandolin?
    Why do people want anything they desire? Even if you aren't a performer, why not have a high quality mandolin if you can afford it? I think we should allow people to do that.

6. The following members say thank you to Joel Glassman for this post:

As the OP (original poster) of this thread I agree 101% with the comments. Now I just have to convince my wife....
    John A. Karsemeyer

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAK For This Useful Post:

Aside from the personal joy the person probably derives from playing (and probably bragging about) the instrument, there's also the very real investment side of instruments.

Consider that most owners of Stradivarius violins often loan them out to an artist they admire / can play the instrument better. These people aren't buying it for the person they loan it to - they are buying it because it's an investment that benefits them in multiple ways (the instrument appreciates in value, the loan can be a donation reducing taxes, the prestige associated with owning and loaning the instrument - including special access to the artist they loan it to, and etc)

Just like really fancy cars that live in the garage and never get driven - but sell for $100k+, some folks park their cash in high end instruments.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

As the OP (original poster) of this thread I agree 101% with the comments. Now I just have to convince my wife....
    You may have better luck with us than her !

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Personally I feel that any and every instrument no matter the quality should be played, I've heard this often "this is my beater mandolin/ or guitar, I take to festivals, camping etc...I leave my best one at home!" To me that's nuts, they were made to be played! I play my high end stuff out all the time, be it gigs, camping, at home on the back porch etc. Yeah sure I'm a little on edge if I'm playing somewhere sketchy but why would I or anyone want to play say a Kentucky if you own a 24 Loar F-5? I play my Loar and Ferns out all the time, that's what their for, enjoy them! And they will enjoy you as how else can a fine instrument talk and express itself if its at home shut in the case? I don't play my stuff out to be braggart or shove it in others faces that can't afford something fine like a Loar or Fern, I do it for me as I love history and fine old mandolins!
    Some people do just collect for the investment side and don't play them. Or play them very little as not to inflict any finish wear, fret wear etc....If that's what your into so be it. But as long as I have some mighty fine instruments you can bet I'll be playing them whenever and wherever I please! I know someone real well that has some of the best vintage Gibson mandolins, pre-war Martin's-mid 30's "Bone", pre-war Gibson flat heads/Florentine converts etc... and he goes around playing a higher end Kentucky F-5, plays a newer Recording King banjo, and I don't even know what lower level "to him" D-28 copy? I don't get it! Life's short-Pick hard.

13. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Personally I feel that any and every instrument no matter the quality should be played, I've heard this often "this is my beater mandolin/ or guitar, I take to festivals, camping etc...I leave my best one at home!" To me that's nuts, they were made to be played! I play my high end stuff out all the time, be it gigs, camping, at home on the back porch etc. Yeah sure I'm a little on edge if I'm playing somewhere sketchy but why would I or anyone want to play say a Kentucky if you own a 24 Loar F-5? I play my Loar and Ferns out all the time, that's what their for, enjoy them! And they will enjoy you as how else can a fine instrument talk and express itself if its at home shut in the case? I don't play my stuff out to be braggart or shove it in others faces that can't afford something fine like a Loar or Fern, I do it for me as I love history and fine old mandolins!
    Some people do just collect for the investment side and don't play them. Or play them very little as not to inflict any finish wear, fret wear etc....If that's what your into so be it. But as long as I have some mighty fine instruments you can bet I'll be playing them whenever and wherever I please! I know someone real well that has some of the best vintage Gibson mandolins, pre-war Martin's-mid 30's "Bone", pre-war Gibson flat heads/Florentine converts etc... and he goes around playing a higher end Kentucky F-5, plays a newer Recording King banjo, and I don't even know what lower level "to him" D-28 copy? I don't get it! Life's short-Pick hard.
    I play my so called "high end" mandolins all the time ! No, I don't take these out around the campfire ! They are played at home with special exceptions at special gigs, etc ! I have four mandolins and all get equal playing time. I enjoy them all just selective as to the playing location ! Sorry, I see no reason for ME to do otherwise ! Your same argument (opinion) can be read over at the Corvetteforum !! It seems most corvette owners would rather wash, polish and admire them than drive them ! I fall into this group !

Better tools make any job (or hobby) easier and more enjoyable.

16. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I play my so called "high end" mandolins all the time ! No, I don't take these out around the campfire ! They are played at home with special exceptions at special gigs, etc ! I have four mandolins and all get equal playing time. I enjoy them all just selective as to the playing location ! Sorry, I see no reason for ME to do otherwise ! Your same argument (opinion) can be read over at the Corvetteforum !! It seems most corvette owners would rather wash, polish and admire them than drive them ! I fall into this group !
    To each is own my friend but yeah man if I have them I'll play them but like I said that's me, I enjoy all that I have and will play them wherever I want and do, it don't bother me as that's what their for but I can see some peoples choice if they want to keep the goods at home and rub down with a baby cloth, no biggie, for me though I enjoy playing what I do, what was that old saying that relates to cars "Porsche accept no substitute" maybe I have the type of ride confused but to each is own "Loar accept no substitutes"-I may think twice the next time I play a bar gig with the stage wrapped in chicken wire-LoL I don't believe me or Lloyd would like that gig!

Really, it simply comes down to “How much do you want one?” And don’t let anyone (aside form one’s significant other) tell you otherwise!
    Not having an extra hidden sack of doubloons anywhere to purchase the mandolin I’ve wanted for a very long time I can honestly say that playing a truly excellently built instrument is a joy!
    I was truly privileged to have been offered the opportunity to play Bill Halsey’s prototype for an extended period of time. To be sure, I was flattered and maybe a little intimidated but, having known Bill for as long as I have and the trust he obviously had in me, I played the socks off that thing for six or seven months! I put it in any pickers hands who expressed an interest, professional and “hobbyist” as well. That may have been some of the most pleasant picking I’ve ever had. I love my personal mandolin just fine but, playing that was an experience I shall never forget!
    That was wonderful Bill!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

<Removed by Moderator. This is a family forum. Please keep that in mind>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-12-2019 at 7:12pm.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Dave Sheets

Good instruments are actually pretty inexpensive compared to fancy cars, trips or boats.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

I don't see how my neighbor can justify his $30,000 McIntosh stereo system since he only plays it in his home.

Here's a little secret from someone that's performed at a multitude of venues on drums, guitar, bass and mandolin perhaps a thousand times. That last little 2% of sound quality that I spent untold extra thousands of dollars to get is something that only I can hear, sometimes a band mate or two and sometimes none of us can hear the difference due to bad venue acoustics. The audience virtually never hears it.
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Greg. We notice these things, but not many others. That still makes it worth it to have the best instrument you can afford to enjoy. I am the most important member of my (very small) audience because I play to entertain myself first and foremost.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

===========

I think you might have a better chance of finding a cheap Gibson Loar than convincing your wife . . .

If you don't perform in public, why would you want a Gibson Lloyd Loar, Gilchrist, Red Diamond, or any other high-end/high-cost mandolin?
    Maybe they have crippling stage fright
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Convincing points for wife:

Dear, I just saw a Harley down the street I'm going to buy, but I understand your concern, so in deference to you, I'll buy the Ellis instead.

Dear, Joe is selling his bass boat......

Dear, I think I need to take up golf........

Dear, I need to sail across the Pacific solo in a 28 ft. Sailboat......

Dear, dirt track midget racing is my destiny, but.....
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Perpetually Confused

I so fit this thread... I just bought a used Collings F5 last week, and I dont play mando! Yet.

And while I used to play guitar professionally back in the 90s, I havnt gigged in 2 years. Not playing outside of my little home studio at the moment.

With that said, most of my 20+ instruments are high end: PRS guitars, 3 of the 4 Ks in Ukes, European solid wood upright bass, etc...I like the ease of play-ability, the beauty of a fine crafted instrument, the tone you tend to get from the higher end instruments... I have become a instrument snob, it's true. My bank account may hate it... but, when I play them, it puts a smile on my face.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aldwyn For This Useful Post:

I much prefer the company of a fine mandolin over the public.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Hart For This Useful Post:

In addition to playing mandolin, I collect antique Venitian glass beads. I never wear them and rarely do I show them to anyone. They serve absolutely no practical purpose. But, they bring me great joy as examples of outstanding artistic craftmanship with a fascinating history. I am sure many of the present keepers of Loar instruments feel a similar affinity to their instruments.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

32. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

Life is short. Eat off the good china.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Adams For This Useful Post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Quote Originally Posted by 2TonCommon View Post
    <Removed by Moderator. This is a family forum. Please keep that in mind>
    I will indeed. My apologies for kind of a rough bit of humor. Not being married and having no children I sometimes forget myself. It will NOT happen again. Sorry. Thanks for the reminder.

Joe
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Blog Entries

LOL. Well if it is a home budget debate I suggest that you agree to set aside each month what she pays for shoes and the hair dresser into a mandolin fund? Men and women often have different priorities but that does not mean they are not of equal importance?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

One of the pieces of advice that people give when buying a first mandolin is "get the best instrument you can afford". Having a higher end mandolin increases the experience in my experience. Even for those of us who may never "play out".

My current mandolin is way more than I need but everytime i open the case I fall in love again!!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandowino For This Useful Post: