Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin to fiddle

Default Mandolin to fiddle

At a moment of possible insanity, I figured that I could complicate my life even further by learning the fiddle at 72. I only just started the mandolin 8 months ago. My thought was I could do both because of the GDAE fingerboard. The violin , of course, is a much more complex beast but what the hey, it was a good deal to purchase (last week). There’s no fool like an old fool I guess.
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

2. The following members say thank you to Cochiti Don for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin to fiddle

Enjoy in good health. I don't think age factors in it if you fancy trying.

The mandolin is powerfully addictive. I think the fiddle would be more so. Enough that I shy away from it. That and I've heard my bowing hand and that was not good. Harry Callahan had it right. "A man's gotta know his limitations"

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

===========

I thought the same thing, many years ago - but when I lifted the violin fretboard up to my chin, I had a complete physical block on the fingering . . . somehow, the angle of my hands against the violin just completely threw me, and after a few short months the violin got sold. Hopefully you will fare much better than I did - keep us updated.

Violin/fiddle is definitely a different beast, but mandolin skill does apply and going fretless is not as difficult as it seems.

It has been awhile since I put any effort into fiddle. From what I recall, I could play very basic tunes within a few days (mary had a little lamb, twinkle twinkle little star). Taking it to a level where I could jump in and Jam with players, never happened. Having not practiced for a decade has left me with the ability to be good at evaluating setup and tone, but not really being a player.

I still say, go for it! I have seen some players in their 70's learn to play and be acceptable, which is no small feat considering how many years it takes to be good.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I have always recommended that if you wanted to learn fiddle, play a mandolin first. Within two months I was playing fiddle for square dances. Haven't touched it much since I moved up here, way too many fiddle players and few mandolins. Always killed my back anyway, but a fun instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Two thoughts from my limited experience. I play (attempt) mandolin. First instrument and did not start playing until my mid 50's so slow going. When I started I was having a hard time playing rhythm. So I thought that it maybe easier to play rhythm on guitar. So I bought a guitar messed around with it for a few weeks and quickly determined that I needed to focus on one instrument if I was going to be decent. So the guitar went to a happy owner.

My daughter plays in the orchestra and took fiddle lessons for about 2 1/2 to 3 years and I know a few fiddle players. So other than messing around on my daughters fiddle a little my experience has been watching others. I believe that you either have a natural bow hand or not, yes it can be learned but the good ones have it. I think you could have no sound and only watch someone's bow hand and tell how good they are. You have not frets so intonation can be a problem. There are some pretty good players that have a hard time being spot on. My daughter has a really good ear and her intonation is near perfect, darn kids. At least someone in the family has some musical talent.
    So on the one hand I would say that if you want to try it go for it. You might want to rent a fiddle for a few months to see how it goes. On the other hand at your station in life if you were to get to be good on one instrument I would think that would be a pretty good accomplishment.
    Good luck

11. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Don - If you want to try your hand at playing Fiddle - go for it & enjoy it. Age is no barrier to enjoyment,whether you're good ,bad or mediocre. If you want a fiddle,you might search your local area ads. Fiddles of 'not so fantastic' quality were made in their 1000s years back, & often many of then are offered for sale at very low cost.

As MikeZito mentions - the left hand placement is vastly different. The left hand really needs to come over the top of the fiddle to enable you to finger the notes correctly. There are dozens of YouTube clips demonstrating Violin playing to look at,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

JimY 

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Playing melodies on the violin will come quickly. Learning to work the bow to sound like a fiddler is, in my opinion, where the fun and challenges will be found. Go for it.

I too got the bug about three years ago, Don, and I can beat you by a year on the age front. I would say that it is a very frustrating instrument to take up, even for those of us who play mandolin. I joined a local fiddle workshop and would not have got anywhere without the great input from the young tutors we have had. it is just such a different experience - no frets, bowing techniques, left hand placement, etc, but it really makes you work to try to get a good sound out of it. An experienced local fiddler kept telling me that as a mandolin player I should find the fiddle easy to take up, till I finally handed him my mandolin and asked him to have a go, on the grounds that he was an experienced fiddler, so the mandolin should be easy. He conceded that there were huge differences he had not realised!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

There are a few recent threads on the subject. Do a search.

I picked up mandolin and fiddle at the same time almost 44 years ago. My advice is to get yourself a teacher if even only for a few lessons. Also find others at your stage to play with or else a slow jam or a group workshop. Have fun.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Don - If you want to try your hand at playing Fiddle - go for it & enjoy it. Age is no barrier to enjoyment,whether you're good ,bad or mediocre. If you want a fiddle,you might search your local area ads. Fiddles of 'not so fantastic' quality were made in their 1000s years back, & often many of then are offered for sale at very low cost.

As MikeZito mentions - the left hand placement is vastly different. The left hand really needs to come over the top of the fiddle to enable you to finger the notes correctly. There are dozens of YouTube clips demonstrating Violin playing to look at,
    Ivan
    It turns out that Eastman makes a line of fiddles that are quite good. The one I bought sells new for 500, but I got it for 185. It needed some minor repairs but it’s a sweet one.
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

20. The following members say thank you to Cochiti Don for this post:

I agree with you, a moment of insanity !!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... yeah ... Fiddle is a jealous mistress ... a bow is not a pick .... 1/16 " is a great distance on a fretless instrument ... take a few lessons from a teacher as poor habits are easy to develop and hard to break ... buy a mute ... there are soooo many things to learn from intonation to rosin build up to hydration to well to good music. be patient listen to and watch all the fiddlers you can. There are many different ways to play a fiddle well... find yours. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

23. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I think I'll go for the record for mediocrity. So far I suck at electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, uke, square neck resonator, steel, pedal steel, shaker, tambourine, and now mandolin. If I learned a little fiddle, I could expand my suck factor to viola, cello and acoustic bass too.

Only thing keeping me from going for it is there is always some hot shot who does all that and brass instruments too.

Seriously, good for you. I thought I was pushing the envelope starting mandolin at 64.

Reminds me of my favorite Grandpa story. He planted an avocado tree when he was 84. My mother asked him if he knew they took 7 years to bear fruit. He told her avocados would taste just as good when he was 91. He ate avocados off that tree for six years.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

JimYJoe BartlSleet 

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I think I'll go for the record for mediocrity. So far I suck at electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, uke, square neck resonator, steel, pedal steel, shaker, tambourine, and now mandolin. If I learned a little fiddle, I could expand my suck factor to viola, cello and acoustic bass too.

Only thing keeping me from going for it is there is always some hot shot who does all that and brass instruments too.

Seriously, good for you. I thought I was pushing the envelope starting mandolin at 64.

Reminds me of my favorite Grandpa story. He planted an avocado tree when he was 84. My mother asked him if he knew they took 7 years to bear fruit. He told her avocados would taste just as good when he was 91. He ate avocados off that tree for six years.
    Ha! Great response. Imagine if you didn’t try at all at those instruments. I’m old enough not to care about comparisons to masters.
    Thanks!
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

I started with violin as a kid and started mandolin much later. I would also recommend starting with a teacher, preferably one who plays both instruments to help you even more. I would also suggest getting a good mute for the fiddle until you get the basics down. Playing along with songs you like/know will help you get more proficient, and build your confidence to play with others. Hope you enjoy the journey!

28. The following members say thank you to Dave Bradford for this post:

If longevity assumes not-entirely-optimal dimensions, one of them would NOT be having to justify, to self and others, sitting around and fiddling about! Also, when you get older you get to reflect more, whether or not anyone else is interested..

As a kid I was lucky to be studying guitar and sax. Yet, there were other instruments and idioms I very much wanted to explore. Among those was fiddle. It (bow to string) is just one of those essential, primary experiences.

30. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Have you tried the Hurdy Gurdy? They sound wonderful!

I had a gurdy for a while - long enough to learn how to re-cotten. They're fun, and can certainly add interesting colors.

Least with a Hurdy Gurdy is that you don't need a bow hand like with a fiddle, and many different HG artists go for various types of music, some fast, like...
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

34. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

Bob A 

Chochiti Don: as someone who has played fiddle forever, I'd suggest that you try to find a good classical violin teacher who is fiddle friendly (they're not all), and take violin lessons for several months. Your left hand should come good with a bit of playing, but getting a good sound basis for the bowing arm will stop you getting held back by avoidable bow arm problems that , if that makes sense. Once you get the fiddle going, as a mandolin player you'll know accompaniment patterns and partial chords that many fiddlers struggle with. Have fun!

36. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    No, I’ll check it out thanks
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    They seem to always play in a minor key. Can you cahacge that ?
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

I learnt mandolin to help me with my fiddle. Call it an intonation model. Or "where's the Doe-Ray-Mee?"
    It's a game of paying attention. If your intonation is off, by ear, move you finger until it's on. Also a poorly played note, played quickly, is not as bad as a poorly played note held for a full beat. Embrace the fretlessness. Embrace the bow. This tune will call for a mandolin, While another will call for a fiddle. And Bob's yer Uncle, you've got it covered!

40. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cochiti Don View Post
    They seem to always play in a minor key. Can you cahacge that ?
    Sure, that's simply a matter of note choice and drone/pitch arrangement; gurdys can be diatonic or chromatic, vary as to how many drones and what pitches, etc.

42. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post: