Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfield archtop OM

Default Northfield archtop OM

Anyone have one? They sound AMAZing in the clips:

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...archtop-octave

I haven't seen one online or in the classifieds for sale but hoping I can inquire with a Northfield dealer nearby to get one.

Default Re: Northfield archtop OM

They lost me here...

"a variety of different specs"

Usual marketing pablum.

Isn't variety " different" ?

And no, I will not apologize for being picky.

I have not been enamored of Northfield's entry into the world of mandolins.

Granted I have played but one .. and found it to be ok.
    Ok does not mean reach for wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post

Usual marketing pablum.
    Meh, seems to me more a bit of poorly edited copy, of which the whole post regarding their OM is rife. Can't necessarily fault Northfield for that directly, because good copy is tricky, expensive, and tough to spot internally when you're a very small company with a focused expertise. A pox be upon the copywriter instead, who should certainly have known better.

I'd take one if their octaves in a heartbeat as my experience with NF is obviously more positive than yours. The be-all, end-all of mandolins certainly not, but impressive nonetheless.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

They lost me here...

Usual marketing pablum.

Isn't variety " different" ?

And no, I will not apologize for being picky.

I have not been enamored of Northfield's entry into the world of mandolins.

Granted I have played but one .. and found it to be ok.
    Ok does not mean reach for wallet.
    Those clips sounds amazing to me.

What would you recommend instead in that price range?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sothoth View Post
    Those clips sounds amazing to me.

Cohen.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Mike Marshall cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Cohen.
    His web site appears broken. Is he still building?

"A pox be upon the copywriter instead, "

I disagree. It is elemental .. the owner's of companies are ultimately responsible. If they miss this detail, what else are they missing where they can reassign responsibility to someone else (which is ultimately their own).

Musical instruments are case by case... some good , some not so good, some great. The maker/brand is not necessarily an indicator of excellence in every case.

My recommendation .. try and buy.

PS.

As the owner of a small company (and when I was a corporate drone responsible for ad copy) I trust(ed) no one, particularly when it is your image, your message and your dollars.

Max and Lauri Girouard are building GBOM's in this price range, and theirs are not flat back.

I don't get a good feel for the availability of the Northfield OMs. Does anyone know how many they have made so far? It's one thing to offer these models and another to make them readily available.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I noticed in the specifications list..at the bottom.....

"mahogany from Africa"

FYI

"A pox be upon the copywriter instead, "

I disagree. It is elemental .. the owner's of companies are ultimately responsible. If they miss this detail, what else are they missing where they can reassign responsibility to someone else (which is ultimately their own).
    Then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. "A variety of different..." is one of the most common tautologies in ad copy I can think of. Is it inarticulate? Yes, but not necessarily inaccurate. To assume a company's level of manufacturing competence based on management's minor grammatical shortcomings seems a solution in search of a problem.

Musical instruments are case by case... some good , some not so good, some great. The maker/brand is not necessarily an indicator of excellence in every case.

My recommendation .. try and buy.
    Here we stand firmly on the same side.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Max and Lauri Girouard are building GBOM's in this price range, and theirs are not flat back.

I don't get a good feel for the availability of the Northfield OMs. Does anyone know how many they have made so far? It's one thing to offer these models and another to make them readily available.
    Thanks I'll check them out!

" To assume a company's level of manufacturing competence based on management's minor grammatical shortcomings seems a solution in search of a problem."

I said no such thing.
    Details matter.
    Platitudes and hackneyed phrases are the basis of considerable modern writing and are essentially meaningless .
    Less slickness, more direct fact works for me. I prefer writing that is similar to the spoken word rather than elevated, glorified
    drivel that intends to "amaze".

... "minor grammatical shortcomings".. this is not an issue of grammar but of content and word choice.

Prepositions at the end of sentences is also a criminal act : )

Just my take.

PS ... Note the number of posts I have made in 15 years. I choose to post only where and when I think it matters.

I said no such thing.
    Then I must apologize. Of the variety of different meanings possible from your statement: "If they miss this detail, what else are they missing where they can reassign responsibility to someone else...", I interpreted perhaps the most uncharitable to your intent.

And I also apologize to OP for my continued input of NMC to this thread. To atone, I wish you the best of luck in your octave search. To date, my only personal exposure to OM is a few minutes playing the Weber Gallatin Octave at Bailey Acoustic Shop in Black Mountain, NC. You can see it here: http://www.baileyacousticshop.com/in...nts/mandolins/. A really nice instrument in the same price range as the NF.

C.

15. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Website shows list is $3800. I'm not sure of their current prices but I know you absolutely will not be disappointed by an OM by Austin Clark or Andrew Mowry. I've played their GOM's and found them to be meticulously finished and awesome sounding.

If your budget is lower and you are open to an A or F style OM my highest recommendation goes to Tom "TJ" Jessen. I have no financial interest but I am a huge fan of his instruments (currently have 4 with another on the way). I don't think you can get a better archtop OM for your money anywhere else. An equivalent Weber, for example, will cost you 3x more.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

His web site appears broken. Is he still building?
    Yes, David's a buddy and he has current builds. I checked his web link on the builder's database and it's not working, as you said. I'll let him know. I googled, "David J Cohen Retailer richmond virginia" and google returned his correct address and phone number.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Website shows list is $3800. I'm not sure of their current prices but I know you absolutely will not be disappointed by an OM by Austin Clark or Andrew Mowry. I've played their GOM's and found them to be meticulously finished and awesome sounding.

If your budget is lower and you are open to an A or F style OM my highest recommendation goes to Tom "TJ" Jessen. I have no financial interest but I am a huge fan of his instruments (currently have 4 with another on the way). I don't think you can get a better archtop OM for your money anywhere else. An equivalent Weber, for example, will cost you 3x more.
    Thanks! Checking those out now...

A Mowry is going to be about 2k more. I believe the base price on his GBOM is 6k now.

I have a maple one, one of the first or second batches made and I love it! I sure don't play it as much as I should but when I do it's loads of fun. The one thing I would consider is the scale length, this one is 22 or maybe 23" and it's challenging to play melodies like on a regular mandolin. I use it for strumming along or I'll slap a capo on and play up the neck like a guitar...it sure has helped me learn the neck I'll tell ya. All in all I think it's a good instrument and a good price if you want a very nice instrument for less than $5k. Clark, Smart, Heiden, and loads of others make GBOM's but they are at least twice as much.

If I was looking for an OM I'd actually get one of those new Eastman's...they are less than $1k and they look and sound great for something you won't use as a main instrument.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Bayard Blain flies a bit under the radar when it comes to GBOM but I think his work is first rate. I'm the owner of this flat top GBOM (that's Bayard playing in the video). He also custom makes arch top GBOMS for around $5500. I think he has some almost done. IMO a luthier to watch! NFI
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

I'd be interested in the Austin Clark OM if I had $5000 to spend. I visited him and his shop a few months ago and I was blown away by the amazing quality of his work!
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/113910#113910
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	113910.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	160088

My impression is that F style OMs have a little less sustain and a bit more "chip" relative to the guitar bodied OMs. Is that generally true or am I off base?

Bill Bussmann at Old Wave Mandolins makes a great GBOM too. I have one of his oval A body octaves that I got before the GBOM craze started. Love it. 21.5" scale is perfect.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Watch the Music Emporium website this coming week. They have gotten their first Girouard GBOM.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My impression is that F style OMs have a little less sustain and a bit more "chip" relative to the guitar bodied OMs. Is that generally true or am I off base?
    I haven't played any guitar body OMs, but I think an F -style archtop OM made by someone who knows what they're doing, should have plenty of sustain. My Weber Yellowstone F-style OM has sustain for days.

The timbre will be different between a guitar body and a mandolin-on-steroids body, with possibly more bass in the GBOM and possibly more midrange punch in the mandolin body. That's a wide generalization though. I already have enough guitar-shaped instruments in my house. So when I decided to get an OM, I went for the mandolin-on-steroids body, and I've been very happy with it.

YMMV... I know some peoplel like GBOMs, but that body style just doesn't do it for me as an "octave mandolin."