Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build A Tenor Guitar

Default Re: Build A Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by sheets View Post
    I'm not sure when the Fender Tenor Telecaster is due out, it looks like it will sell for around $500. The fender name might make it easier to resell, and get your money back out of it somewhere down the line. A bit more up front, but more chance of recovering it later. The MIM telecasters are pretty decent instruments at the price.
    Fender tenor is supposed to be available by September 2019.

To the OP, I don't mean to come off so negatively. Apologies.

Thanks guys its not a good thing to have limited funds I know but I still like playing music. So Ill trudge on and buy the kit. Maybe not a smart thing to do but at least a learn something along the way.Like maybe Im not the smartest person or the sharpest knife in the drawer but you cant loose for trying . Should look some what close to that 500. Dollar Tenorcastor . Dave

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    And that is a good thing in my books, I don’t think they are made from cheap ply wood but, three equal laminates of hardwood?
    It has been discussed before but I have not read about anyone taking one apart to see for sure.
    For perspective - NK Forster instruments have laminate back and sides... So yes indeed.

@Herman, I went down this precise road. I found a 22.5" scale "girl power" electric for less than €100.00, and did the rest with spare parts (except the tuners & carpenter costs). I'd recommend the shorter scale.

As Mike says, if you've got the time, who needs money?

"Pinky" electric tenor conversion

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbcee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    @Herman, I went down this precise road. I found a 22.5" scale "girl power" electric for less than €100.00, and did the rest with spare parts (except the tuners & carpenter costs). I'd recommend the shorter scale.

Well thats too cool . You did a nice job. Did you have to redo the fretboard or did you just replace the frets with new ones. I wasn't planing on narrowing the neck all the way to the body I don't play anything past the 12th fret anyways. I do see by your pictures though you do have narrow the neck as the string spacing opposed to the width of fretboard would make it difficult for fingering. How did the spacing work out for fingering that one once you were done does it play ok. Thank you for the post .Dave

i have built 7 tenors (acoustic, not electric) and 10 or so other stringed instruments. I have also slimmed the neck and modified the headstock on a 23" scale guitar to convert to a tenor. I like to do this kind of work but have come to some conclusions about it. 3 of my tenors sound pretty darn good. The rest literally ended up in the wood stove. I can buy a nice sounding tenor for less than it costs me to build one! Go figure. Slimming down a neck is difficult to do and make it come out with a decent neck profile, it is almost easier to make one from scratch. In my humble opinion, save up and buy one, you'll likely be happier. Try to play it first!

For what it's worth.
    Tom

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Granger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    i have built 7 tenors (acoustic, not electric) and 10 or so other stringed instruments. I have also slimmed the neck and modified the headstock on a 23" scale guitar to convert to a tenor. I like to do this kind of work but have come to some conclusions about it. 3 of my tenors sound pretty darn good. The rest literally ended up in the wood stove. I can buy a nice sounding tenor for less than it costs me to build one! Go figure. Slimming down a neck is difficult to do and make it come out with a decent neck profile, it is almost easier to make one from scratch. In my humble opinion, save up and buy one, you'll likely be happier. Try to play it first!

For what it's worth.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom I might just do that Im still on the fence . Dave

Hey Herman, I just pulled the frets & put in new ones after having the neck slimmed. I know Fox just takes an angle grinder to the neck & cuts it down frets & all, but I'm not that brave.

I have a Harmony acoustic tenor whose neck I really like, so I modeled the width of the electric on it. It feels better than if it was a six string width neck. I was lucky the carpenter did careful work, and I enjoy reshaping necks besides.

I did think about leaving it full width at the body, but I never came up with a way to do it that didn't look clumsy. YMMV!

11. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Yes I have used a 4” grinder with a 1.5mm cutting blade to cut down necks in the past.
    You do need to make a mdf template to use as a guide but it works and the job is done in a few minutes!
    For an electric with a removable neck the options increase, a new 21” neck would be an option.
    Personally I think DIY is great if you are good at it and have the tools but if not... far better to buy one.

13. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Yes I have used a 4” grinder with a 1.5mm cutting blade to cut down necks in the past.
    You do need to make a mdf template to use as a guide but it works and the job is done in a few minutes!
    For an electric with a removable neck the options increase, a new 21” neck would be an option.
    Personally I think DIY is great if you are good at it and have the tools but if not... far better to buy one.
    Howdy Mr. fox I was thinking about using a kit that I posted in this thread. As far as slimming down the neck my Lutheir would be doing that for me he has a lot of wood working tools and teaches guitar building. @bbcee Ya my friend I know it would look strange if I leave the neck full width from the 12th fret on or I could leave the neck only full width at the neck pocket only might be a little better looking (its a bolt on neck so shouldn't be too hard) Im not going to gig with it as I only play mostly for my own pleasure. If I wait to save up enough money to get a factory one Ill loose interest long before I get enough money.So buying the kit will commit me to doing the project and its an interesting thing to do. Other than slimming the neck down would be fitting a new nut which would be done at the same time as the neck . I could see how using a grinder could get away from you very quickly (bye Bye neck) its not the easiest thing to do. Dave

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

No the grinder trick is not really a recommended way, more of a red neck alternative and quick fix on a cheap acoustic conversion.

16. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

No the grinder trick is not really a recommended way, more of a red neck alternative and quick fix on a cheap acoustic conversion.
    Im going to try the red neck way on this little electric. But like I said Ill get my Lutheir to do the shaping. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
    Im going to try the red neck way on this little electric. But like I said Ill get my Lutheir to do the shaping. Dave
    On my abandoned conversion I used a hacksaw and cut through the fret wires. It went really well, except when I rushed.

I'm starting to feel like getting back to it.... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    On my abandoned conversion I used a hacksaw and cut through the fret wires. It went really well, except when I rushed.

I'm starting to feel like getting back to it.... Thanks
    Cool Andy ya at least that will one less thing on your mind . Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post

That headstock conversion is exceptional.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That is crazy cheap......!
    Yep, I had to buy it. It has hazing of the finish on the bottom side. Still plays great.

Easiest way into an electric tenor I found is to get a Les Paul knock-off, string as a tenor and capo at the second fret. That gives you a 21" which I prefer over 23".

My electric tenor of choice is a Les Paul PeeWee. 19" scale strung Eb Bb F C G D. Capoed at the 2nd fret gives me F C G D A E but I've come to really like the Eb tuning.

I'm in Vancouver and there isn't much by way of tenors around. I was in L&M yesterday asking about the Fender Tenor Tele and was told it wasn't available yet.

The world of tenors is all about making stuff up and I prefer to do it on the cheap. Many of the really expensive vintage stuff is more for collectors than players.

Eastwood has some nice tenors but you're looking at around $1000 CDN by the time shipping and currency conversion are factored in.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

23. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

I started looking at tenor guitar because of this thread, https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ctric-ukuleles. I had bought a Vorson to convert it to an electric mandolin. That didn't work due to the scale length being too long. The CGDA tune does seem to work well on the Vorson.

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Easiest way into an electric tenor I found is to get a Les Paul knock-off, string as a tenor and capo at the second fret. That gives you a 21" which I prefer over 23".

My electric tenor of choice is a Les Paul PeeWee. 19" scale strung Eb Bb F C G D. Capoed at the 2nd fret gives me F C G D A E but I've come to really like the Eb tuning.

I'm in Vancouver and there isn't much by way of tenors around. I was in L&M yesterday asking about the Fender Tenor Tele and was told it wasn't available yet.

The world of tenors is all about making stuff up and I prefer to do it on the cheap. Many of the really expensive vintage stuff is more for collectors than players.

Eastwood has some nice tenors but you're looking at around $1000 CDN by the time shipping and currency conversion are factored in.
    Thank-You for your post Ive never heard of a pee wee les paul sounds more like a uke . Anyway good stuff Ill check into those . Herman

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
    Hi Andy I live in Langley. Dave Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TFW001M-1_360x.png 
Views:	317 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	175061
    Hi Dave,

Maybe you've already started, but my unfinished project was a Hanna Montana electric. They had one this aft at the Maple ridge Value Village for $60 and another short scale elec for $8. The later has been spray painted and the brand name removed.

Well a lot of good replies. I haven't started into the tenor as of yet but I have talked to my Luthier and he told me he could do the work.