Thread: Buzzing strings on my MandoCello

Default Buzzing strings on my MandoCello

I have a mandocello (made for me by Steve Wishnevsky--some of you know about him) and I now have buzzing on my strings. It's the worst on my G course, but it happens some on my C course and a little on my D course.

I sent a message to Wish, the builder, and he suggested I put a shim under the bridge. He said he uses popsicle sticks.

Does that sound like a good solution, or do you guys have better ones? I'm a little hesitant to try the popsicle stick(s), because I don't want to get the action too high.

I'm open for ideas and guidance.

Thanks!

Default Re: Buzzing strings on my MandoCello

Check to see if the neck is straight and if the frets are level. From the advice you received from the builder, I am guessing that it is not a high dollar instrument, so it likely does not have an adjustable truss rod. It may need to have the bridge shimmed, however that will raise the action, and possibly considerably if they are suggesting a shim as thick as a popsicle stick. That might get rid of your buzzing, but might also make it more difficult to play

if you are going down the shim road, try nad make it out of some hardwood, rather than pine pop sticks
    John D

Where do you live? Do you need to humidify more? Instruments may develop a buzz due to physical changes from lack of humidification.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

This is not a helpful post, but I just have to laugh at Wish's ethos.

This is not a helpful post, but I just have to laugh at Wish's ethos.
    Yeah.... he doesn't set the bar very high, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post
    Where do you live? Do you need to humidify more? Instruments may develop a buzz due to physical changes from lack of humidification.
    That's likely.

Yea, I know what you mean, thecelloronin. But I like Wish--cool guy, fun to talk with--and I do like my m'cello. It sounds really nice. I have a friend who's a really good repair guy, and I'm going to have him take care of it.

8. The following members say thank you to BluesPreacher for this post:

fox 

It is also possible that the instrument will change with the seasons. I know some folks who have "winter" and "summer" bridges.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is also possible that the instrument will change with the seasons. I know some folks who have "winter" and "summer" bridges.
    I think that's very possible. And I might just do that--have summer and winter bridges. The air inside where I live--northern Illinois--gets VERY dry. In fact (cue sad/scary music), there are two seams on its back that have split from the dryness. I'm guessing that indoors during an Illinois winter is MUCH drier than summer in North Carolina, where it was made. My Blueridge dreadnaught guitar did that too. My repair guy likes to fix those boo-boos in June or July, when it's much more humid. My guitar has a shim under the bridge saddle that I'll probably take out in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    That's likely.

Yea, I know what you mean, thecelloronin. But I like Wish--cool guy, fun to talk with--and I do like my m'cello. It sounds really nice. I have a friend who's a really good repair guy, and I'm going to have him take care of it.
    You know, Wish gets his share of derision. But at the end of the day, anyone who's ever played one of his cellos has said the same thing: they sound good. I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda want one, warts and all.

Quote Originally Posted by thecelloronin View Post
    You know, Wish gets his share of derision. But at the end of the day, anyone who's ever played one of his cellos has said the same thing: they sound good. I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda want one, warts and all.
    Last I saw, he had one for sale on FB and eBay. M'cello, teardrop body (I forget the woods he used). If memory serves, he wanted $300 for the m'cello and $50 shipping. I told him about the buzzing and the cracks, and he offered to fix it if I send it to him. It would only cost shipping. I'm tempted.