Thread: Joe Val recommendations?

Default Joe Val recommendations?

Hi all,
    I've heard a lot about Joe Val but haven't really heard any of his stuff and am wondering what some of you familiar with his music would recommend. I've started off just downloading "Sparkling Brown Eyes" from this site. Anybody else have any recommendations on these or maybe others that aren't found at that site or maybe still in print? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Joe Val recommendations?

Some years ago Rounder issued a CD anthology of 25 of the songs Joe had recorded for that label, called "Diamond Joe" Rounder CD 11537 (1995). It's a nice overview of his career with the label, which spanned nearly 15 years. He could really sing, and he had a nice bluesy style on the mandolin. Lots of good band members in the New England Bluegrass Boys too.

Thanks for the recommendation, Andy B!

Don't forget the famous recording that Joe Val & his band made of songs by the Beatles - "Beatle Country" by The Charles River Valley Boys. It's worth it just to hear the feudin' & gun shots in "Yeller Submarine",
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beatle Country.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	84810
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks, Ivan! Is that album still in print?

Joe is an acquired taste, imo. Sort of like Monroe.

Beatle Country (long o.o.p.) surely deserves a listen, as it was a very seminal record back then, sounds a bit dated now.

His One Morning In May on Rounder has stellar band work, very clear mandolinisms and a great version of I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    ...Rounder issued a CD anthology ...called "Diamond Joe" Rounder CD 11537 (1995). ...
    Check it out on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Joe-Val/dp/B0000003MO

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Don't forget the famous recording that Joe Val & his band made of songs by the Beatles - "Beatle Country" by The Charles River Valley Boys. It's worth it just to hear the feudin' & gun shots in "Yeller Submarine",

Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beatle Country.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	84810
    While it is a great album itīs not in print as far as I know. I also wouldnīt say itīs typical for Joe Val.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Joe is an acquired taste, imo. Sort of like Monroe.

Beatle Country (long o.o.p.) surely deserves a listen, as it was a very seminal record back then, sounds a bit dated now.

His One Morning In May on Rounder has stellar band work, very clear mandolinisms and a great version of I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby.
    One Morning In May is quite good. The "Live In Holland" album is also very nice: http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-in-holland-r305716

I wouldnīt generalize that Joe Val is "acquired taste" other than everything is "acquired". The singing is not what most people might be used to. His mandolin playing is traditional bluegrass mandolin. Monroe as "acquired taste"... makes me think... Could you elaborate more please.
    Olaf

What I meant was that Joe had a very distinctive singing style. Joe, Bill, Goins, early Red Allen, other first gen (or close) artists are from the era of 'that' sound: sort of primal, strident, high, lonesome (at least vocally) that many find tough to swallow, at first: the keening, at-the-upper-range vocal sound. Not too smooth, or easy on the ears, to many. Bands like J&J, the Osbornes, (even F&S, to a point), JD Crowe and others strove to 'smooth it out' (hence the 'New South' sobriquet).

Mandolinistically, Joe was the man. I liken his playing to Monroe, Dorsey Harvey and Frank: hard-core, virtuousic and tough. He was a great cross-picker, too.

I personally dig the primal thing (in small doses, like everything else).

From AlanN - "Joe had a very distinctive singing style...". He could remove the wax from your ears at 100 yards,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks all for the recommendations. So far I've downloaded "Bound To Ride," "Cold Wind," and "Sparkling Brown Eyes" from the site that I noted in my first post and have been enjoying them immensely. I've listened to a lot of Bill so it didn't take much to "aquire a taste" for his singing style. He really has an amazing tenor: very clear and strident and you can tell that he would "remove the wax from your ears at 100 yards" like Ivan so descriptively described. He's obviously got that classic bluegrass mandolin tone and style, also. Glad I finally took the time to listen to him. Thanks all!!!

My Val recordings (vinyl) are both of his "early" years with the Charles River Valley Boys: Bluegrass Get-Together on Prestige and Beatle Country on Elektra. He was also a band member on Bill Keith & Jim Rooney's Livin' On the Mountain, also Prestige. The CRVB did some really nice stuff for a "city-billy" band, and Val also did quite a bit of gigging with Rooney and Herb Applin as a quasi-bluegrass Louvin-style trio. Don't know if they ever recorded.

Most of these recordings are find-able, especially Beatle Country, which was on a major label and reissued as a CD. There are a couple of "Boston bluegrass" Prestige/Folklore reissues that have CRVB cuts on them.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    My Val recordings (vinyl) are both of his "early" years with the Charles River Valley Boys: Bluegrass Get-Together on Prestige and Beatle Country on Elektra. He was also a band member on Bill Keith & Jim Rooney's Livin' On the Mountain, also Prestige. The CRVB did some really nice stuff for a "city-billy" band, and Val also did quite a bit of gigging with Rooney and Herb Applin as a quasi-bluegrass Louvin-style trio. Don't know if they ever recorded.

Most of these recordings are find-able, especially Beatle Country, which was on a major label and reissued as a CD. There are a couple of "Boston bluegrass" Prestige/Folklore reissues that have CRVB cuts on them.
    Allen, thanks for the further info. I'll have to look or the Charles River Valley Boys and Livin' On the Mountain. Ivan is being very kind and sending me a copy of Beatle Country which is just so nice. Thank you again, Ivan!