Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monel mandolin strings

Default Re: Monel mandolin strings

I just bought another three sets of Sam Bush strings so I figure the six I will have will last me until one of these companies decides to make similar ones. I love the sound of them on my snakehead.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Good news for Monel lovers! Curt Mangan Strings now has Monel mandolin strings available, and I just got my first set yesterday. Medium gauge is 11-15-26-40, which is just perfect in my book. I put them on my Pava A and it sounds so sweet to my ears with these strings, very well balanced, clear, dry, and woody. I am still using Gibson Sam Bush's on my Northfield Big Mon and my old F2, and can't wait to try the Curt Mangans on those instruments to see how they compare.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geno For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Geno. Just for convenience, here's the link to Mangan Monel strings. They also make a light set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-40_Monel_Mandolin_Medium__92178.1478623853.500.659.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	151387
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I've switched to Curt Mangan's phosphor bronze strings from the big brands. I think I'll give these a try.

On the slider on the Curt Mangan homepage is picture of GE Smith with a Gilchrist A5 Artist. Cool.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Let us know how you like the Curt Mangan Monel strings vs the Bush Monel sets.

I hope they sound the same :-)
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

9. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

I'm playing my second set of Curt Mangan medium guage strings on my Weber Absaroka. I really like them. It's been too many years since I've played any Sam Bush strings but I think the CM A strings are heavier than the SB. I've tested the D'darrio medium nickel bronze and although played well and sounded good, the CM G-strings are heavier.

11. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Measured, the G is a .041" D is a .025" on the Gibson Monel, for actual measurements , to compare,
    for those who measure things.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just put a set of the Curt Mangan monels on my F5 (thanks for the link above!). I like the gauges slightly better than the Gibson monels, esp the 14 A on the Gibson, which I always swapped for GHS 16s. The Mangan monel mediums have the J74 gauges (11-15-26-40). So far the sound and feel are very like the Gibson monels (old school bluegrass mandolin), and I am very pleased. I'll see how they settle in but preliminary indications are promising.

14. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Measured, the G is a .041" D is a .025" on the Gibson Monel, for actual measurements , to compare,
    for those who measure things.
    I quit measuring things not too long after puberty hit but I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit here or there for strings that sound really good or that hold up and/or resist corrosion.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I put a set of the Mangan Monels on an MT2 today today. I really like these. Made the mandolin much livelier. I could not put the mandolin down. I bought 5 more sets today.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

The CM strings last a very long time also ! I got one year from the first set as compared with changing every month or so ! Great strings !

19. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post: