Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra on Fretboard Journal

Default Sierra on Fretboard Journal

She really is good, you know.

Well, we all know that of course, but honestly, just watch how she covers the whole of the fretboard, watch how effortlessly she uses her pinky - indeed her whole hand, see those runs at about 2.50, that lovely droney effect at the beginning and from about 3.57, and how musical the whole thing sounds. Fantastic.

Fretboard Journal has some wonderful stuff, by the way. I really enjoy the podcasts.

David A. Gordon

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Sierra on Fretboard Journal

Sierra is perhaps the most musical creature in the know universe.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimKo For This Useful Post:

She's amazing
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I just recently did a Video Exchange with Sierra on this tune on her Artistworks course if anybody else is interested in learning it.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

7. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Her fingers (pinky included!) never seem to leave the fretboard! Minimum exertion maximum effect. Amazing.

Sierra’s right hand belongs to the angels. Her attack is so smooth, each note is a diamond.

Her delicate style and picking way up into the upper register are good proponents for the narrow gauge fretwire. I'm also amazed by her smoothness and how even her volume is across all strings.

I see a large ring on her right hand and wonder if that's for mechanics. I was at a bluegrass festival lately and saw a guitar player who had two huge rings on his right hand. I wonder if the extra mass makes for more momentum and less effort to push the pick through the strings (kind of like using a heavier pick).

Thanks for posting this Dagger!

Natural talent is an amazing thing to see! Thanks for the post, Dagger.

An amazing player IMHO

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Rock solid rhythm and a sensitive approach to dynamics makes for great interpretation and musicality. There is so much to admire of her playing!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

...and in the key of E, my favorite on the mandolin.
    too many strings

Her technique is flawless and her left hand precision is just phenomenal. When I watch her, I feel like the mandolin MUST be super easy to play because she makes it look so smooth and fluid. It’s really inspiring. If only it was as easy as she makes it look.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sothoth For This Useful Post:

Lovely, always a pleasure to see and hear her playing.
    Many people have said that she makes it look easy, well I wonder with this tune, maybe it is easy?
    -It’s just the years of dedicated hard work that was a bit hard!

I remember her doing a fiddle tune thing with Billy Strings at Grey Fox a few years back, nothing planned just calling out tunes and audience requests.

The music out of that little girl was enough to move a mountain.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

If she keeps practicing she will probably get it eventually.

For the full effect of this piece, here’s Sierra playing it with Cory Wong and the Wongnotes:

Just a great, joyful piece of music played by a band full of top players!

Pete

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando Mafia For This Useful Post:

Is it just me or do any of you hear a lot of Sam Bush influence in Sierra's playing? She is marvelous at everything she plays...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Fretboard Journal has some wonderful stuff, by the way. I really enjoy the podcasts.
    I listened to the podcast with her the other day. Excellent. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...1-sierra-hull/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Mafia View Post
    For the full effect of this piece, here’s Sierra playing it with Cory Wong and the Wongnotes:

Just a great, joyful piece of music played by a band full of top players!

Pete
    Very atmospheric piece! It reminded me, very vaguely, of early '90s Pat Metheny. The mandolin sounded a bit drowned in the mix during the solo, which is a pity. Regardless, I hadn't had so much fun watching a music video in a while.

Phenomenal! I like the band arrangement too. In the podcast Sierra said she did the arrangement and asked Bela for feedback. Beautifully done. I had no problem hearing her solo part.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by kdlrd View Post
    Very atmospheric piece! It reminded me, very vaguely, of early '90s Pat Metheny. The mandolin sounded a bit drowned in the mix during the solo, which is a pity. Regardless, I hadn't had so much fun watching a music video in a while.
    I've noticed this on a few different live recordings of hers. She doesn't seem to have an extra volume gear when soloing, she's playing brilliant stuff but it can get missed when the whole band starts digging it as much as the audience. I just saw her with Bela Fleck's current tour and the same thing was happening all night. I love her playing and want to hear all of it, but it does get lost sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I've noticed this on a few different live recordings of hers. She doesn't seem to have an extra volume gear when soloing, she's playing brilliant stuff but it can get missed when the whole band starts digging it as much as the audience. I just saw her with Bela Fleck's current tour and the same thing was happening all night. I love her playing and want to hear all of it, but it does get lost sometimes.
    I would guess that comes from her prioritizing consistent tone and clarity over volume - something that I believe she is among the very best at. Each note rings out so crisply and it's beautiful to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    I would guess that comes from her prioritizing consistent tone and clarity over volume - something that I believe she is among the very best at. Each note rings out so crisply and it's beautiful to listen to.
    To be clear, this was not meant as a criticism of her skills, which are amazingly good. I think it speaks more to the difficulty of making an acoustic instrument cut through a mix (particularly during a solo).

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by kdlrd View Post
    To be clear, this was not meant as a criticism of her skills, which are amazingly good. I think it speaks more to the difficulty of making an acoustic instrument cut through a mix (particularly during a solo).
    This is two things. First, Sierra has a variety of mics and mic placements. Go over her live videos and you can see she is switching up pickups in different situations. The other, however, is the thing you argue against. Sierra is superb with a soft touch. To really get good tone at both low volumes and loud ones, you set your volume to what would be a boost volume for any other player. Then, while not soloing, you play softly. That way, you get the best tone at both volumes. She's a master of dynamics. You can see and hear it in all small room performance videos. In order to pull this off, you have to really listen to yourself.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    This is two things. First, Sierra has a variety of mics and mic placements. Go over her live videos and you can see she is switching up pickups in different situations. The other, however, is the thing you argue against. Sierra is superb with a soft touch. To really get good tone at both low volumes and loud ones, you set your volume to what would be a boost volume for any other player. Then, while not soloing, you play softly. That way, you get the best tone at both volumes. She's a master of dynamics. You can see and hear it in all small room performance videos. In order to pull this off, you have to really listen to yourself.
    Understood, and I guess it is a matter of artist preference and culture.

I spent my youthful years playing in a scruffy rock cover band. Tubescreamers, gain to 11, guitar players arguing about volume - that sort of thing. My views on this may be biased :-D