Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher Education for Mandolin

Default Higher Education for Mandolin

Hey all,

I am currently studying music at a state school near me in California. Their program is small and specifically titled "Music Industry Studies," with a lot of people who don't play instruments but hope to work in the industry. I've been playing classical mandolin for 8 years now and decided to go to this state school because there were no restrictions on audition requirements or instrument choice.

I am now trying to transfer to Chapman University, but I am running into the same issue I did back when I was in high school. I was previously considered part of the classical guitar program, and I'm going for the same thing at Chapman as mandolin fits better there than drowning in an actual orchestra. It's been a struggle to get the music department to even let me audition, as they don't really know what to do with me. I am wondering if mandolin will grow in popularity enough to ever be recognized as a mainstream instrument that can be used in education. Has anyone else been involved in college programs as a mandolinist?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Higher Education for Mandolin

This issue has been run into by quite a few classical mandolinists over the years.
    If you read about Alison Stephens you'll see she had to enter Trinity as a trumpet player with mandolin as her second instrument, then ditch trumpet as she progressed. She eventually went on to graduate and develop the mandolin tuition for Trinity. Unfortunately Alison died 10 years ago, but fortunately there are people who she helped develop who are very much with us. I would recommend reaching out to Chris Acquavella to see if he can offer advice with this as he is still very connected to the USA (both he and Travis Finch left the US to study with Alison)

The other person to ask is Caterina Lichtenberg who is Music Professor at the University of Cologne. Through her partnership with Mike Marshall she has a good insight into the situation in Europe and the USA

Due to the interconnectedness of all things now there might not be such a need for travel to study with people of this level and your university may be able to begin using their expertise to develop their offerings. With the possibility of skype offered by both Caterina and Chris, you could find that would work for instrument specific tuition, with possibilities to arrange direct tuition during their regular visits there. you may also be able to arrange academic exchanges or visits to Germany via your Uni.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Howdy,

I'm aware of several folks who've done something similar in regards to tailoring their degree towards mandolin. I believe that David Benedict of Mandolin Monday's and Mile Twelve fame did this.
    https://www.davidbenedictmusic.com/

Same goes for Lauren and LeAnna Price of The Price Sisters at Morehead State University.
    https://www.thepricesisters.com/

And Tommy Norris may have done something similar but I think he studied guitar and then just transferred the concepts to mandolin. I've been using his first book a fair bit in small doses. Good stuff!
    http://www.tommynorrismusic.com/bio
    http://www.tommynorrismusic.com/books

I'm guessing that you could try contacting any or all of these folks to see if they might have any advice or helpful tips.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

4. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

Not involved with Colleges but I do have strong feelings about the way music, rhythm, the human body, is not taught from primary school up.
    Mainly about inclusion, acceptance, and how the other Social, Political and Religious problems in our Society impair musical communication, well more but...

Good luck.
    Happy to play such a beautiful instrument!

6. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Dave Sheets

I met a contra dance caller/musician, primarily a mandola player, who had gone to East Tennessee State University, they have a Bluegrass, Old-Time and Country music degree program

https://www.etsu.edu/cas/das/bluegrass/
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Sierra Hull got her degree at Berklee School of Music studying mandolin.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Sierra Hull got her degree at Berklee School of Music studying mandolin.
    I did a summer program at Berklee. While it is one of the few schools that advertises their mandolin program, they do not cater at all to the classical player. In fact, most of the classes I took encouraged me not to read music at all. Understandable, as they are primarily a jazz-influenced school, but not what I was goin for in the long-run.

11. The following members say thank you to Emily Weerheim for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mle.w View Post
    I did a summer program at Berklee. While it is one of the few schools that advertises their mandolin program, they do not cater at all to the classical player. In fact, most of the classes I took encouraged me not to read music at all. Understandable, as they are primarily a jazz-influenced school, but not what I was goin for in the long-run.
    Was that before or after their relatively recent merger with the Boston Conservatory? My understanding at the time was that one outcome of the merger was to make them more comprehensive in their music offerings. If I were looking for a school as the OP is, Berklee would be on the top of my list.

If I remember correctly, I first encountered a Berklee student back in 1971 or '72 and have known, studied under and played with many since then. Usually not mandolin, but a variety of instruments (I am not sure how long they have offered Mandolin as a major). I have been impressed with each of them. Some really liked their time at Berklee, others not as much, but each demonstrated a high level of musicianship.

I have also been in touch with some administration and faculty from their String program. They seem really enthusiastic about what they do, and seemed like very nice, caring people. Both are qualities I value in educators.

I am old and way beyond my college years, but as I said, if I were looking for a program, I would be sure to visit Berklee.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

My son attended Berklee’s summer program this past summer. Although it is an excellent school, my son was the only mandolin player there out of about 1000+ students. Expensive, but a great learning experience! Like you said, it’s jazz oriented.

I’ve heard that Belmont University in Nashville has a good music program That might be worth looking into.

Good luck and let us know what you find out/decide.
    John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Blog Entries

What they won't tell you is that colleges are businesses and they ignore individuals in favor of market trends. Proving that there are trends towards mandolin, (and this blog is one...) is your only hope. It is far easier to move your physical self to a college that appreciates mandolins.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

15. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mle.w View Post
    Hey all,

I am currently studying music at a state school near me in California. Their program is small and specifically titled "Music Industry Studies," with a lot of people who don't play instruments but hope to work in the industry. I've been playing classical mandolin for 8 years now and decided to go to this state school because there were no restrictions on audition requirements or instrument choice.

I am now trying to transfer to Chapman University, but I am running into the same issue I did back when I was in high school. I was previously considered part of the classical guitar program, and I'm going for the same thing at Chapman as mandolin fits better there than drowning in an actual orchestra. It's been a struggle to get the music department to even let me audition, as they don't really know what to do with me. I am wondering if mandolin will grow in popularity enough to ever be recognized as a mainstream instrument that can be used in education. Has anyone else been involved in college programs as a mandolinist?
    mle,
    I am not knowledgeable in this area, but I am curious what your career aspirations are. Is it your hope to play classical mandolin professionally? To teach? Other?

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

I HAVE NOT gone through all of the information provided, but there might be something that the OP might find useful.

http://www.bridgetomusic.com/Mandoli...s-programs.php

Similarly, I haven’t examined all of the posts in the following threads, but there might be some useful information lurking about…

Classical Mandolin Studies

University of Northern Colorado also has a Folk and Bluegrass studies program where one can study on the Mandolin.

https://arts.unco.edu/music/bluegrass/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    mle,
    I am not knowledgeable in this area, but I am curious what your career aspirations are. Is it your hope to play classical mandolin professionally? To teach? Other?
    I hope to be involved in classical ensembles and orchestras in the future. I teach private lessons right now and love doing it. Classical mandolin is definitely what I'm going for which is why school that have folk/bluegrass programs were not suited towards me. In terms of my ultimate goals, just to keep playing and connecting with as many classical players as I can.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emily Weerheim For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    My son attended Berklee’s summer program this past summer. Although it is an excellent school, my son was the only mandolin player there out of about 1000+ students. Expensive, but a great learning experience! Like you said, it’s jazz oriented.

I’ve heard that Belmont University in Nashville has a good music program That might be worth looking into.

Good luck and let us know what you find out/decide.
    John
    The year I attended the 5 week summer program, there were 3 other mandolinists, all bluegrass players. They decided to put me in the lower tier classes because my improvisation was not up to speed with the others, but my theory and playing skills were much higher than the other string players in my class. In my opinion, it was a lot of wasted time, especially because I was grouped with violinists and cellists that did not know how to build a chord.

This was during their merger with Boston Conservatory, and I'm sure that if I went to the school full time I would get much more out of it that I did the summer program. However, the summer program was supposed to be a "taste" of what their school was like full time. I could not justify that expensive of a school with how disappointed I was in my education there.

It seems to me that our original OP is asking two basic questions. Where can a person study classical mandolin in higher education and will our instrument ever be recognized as a mainstream "classical" instrument?

There are several helpful answers already to question 1 and I would only add that there are a number of young virtuosi from various European countries, not only Germany, who have somehow been to college or university. These folks may or may not have been able to study mandolin at their schools, other forum threads may have more details.

I can say, however, that the question of mandolin recognition and legitimacy has been talked about at conventions of the Classical Mandolin Society of America since, probably, the very beginning (1986).

We often look to the history of the classical guitar in North America as potential model. A century ago, I believe, there were very few (if any) colleges that offered instruction in guitar and today it is more common than not for most schools to recognize guitar (primarily "classical" but sometimes other styles) and have at least a part-time faculty member on the faculty.

Jeffrey Noonan's excellent book, The Guitar in America, is partly a study of how the mandolin missed the boat as the guitar came to prominence in the first half of the 20th century. There were many brilliant mandolin soloists in the "golden era" but their popularity didn't translate into legitimacy in the Academy. Theories abound.

CMSA has managed to keep the fire burning for over thirty years but as an all-volunteer, modestly funded organization it has not raised the profile of classical mandolin as much as it would like. Progress is slow but steady and the quality of playing at the annual convention continues to improve.

It remains extremely difficult, if not impossible, in North America for a classical mandolin virtuoso to make a living. The classical guitar, on the other hand, has reached the point where many talented guitarists can piece together a career by teaching at one or more colleges, maintaining a private studio, performing, composing and recording. Maybe someday for mandolinists.

Despite not being established in the Academy the mandolin in America is in a very good place because of it's versatility in a wide variety of styles of music. The legacy of Bill Monroe (and not only Bill but I won't make a list here) has inspired thousands of musicians, from beginners to wizards, to pursue mastery of our instrument.

It may be that the mandolin will just continue to make its own way forward. There is no doubt, however, that the instrument is moving ahead and gaining followers every day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    It seems to me that our original OP is asking two basic questions. Where can a person study classical mandolin in higher education and will our instrument ever be recognized as a mainstream "classical" instrument?

There are several helpful answers already to question 1 and I would only add that there are a number of young virtuosi from various European countries, not only Germany, who have somehow been to college or university. These folks may or may not have been able to study mandolin at their schools, other forum threads may have more details.

I can say, however, that the question of mandolin recognition and legitimacy has been talked about at conventions of the Classical Mandolin Society of America since, probably, the very beginning (1986).

We often look to the history of the classical guitar in North America as potential model. A century ago, I believe, there were very few (if any) colleges that offered instruction in guitar and today it is more common than not for most schools to recognize guitar (primarily "classical" but sometimes other styles) and have at least a part-time faculty member on the faculty.

Jeffrey Noonan's excellent book, The Guitar in America, is partly a study of how the mandolin missed the boat as the guitar came to prominence in the first half of the 20th century. There were many brilliant mandolin soloists in the "golden era" but their popularity didn't translate into legitimacy in the Academy. Theories abound.

CMSA has managed to keep the fire burning for over thirty years but as an all-volunteer, modestly funded organization it has not raised the profile of classical mandolin as much as it would like. Progress is slow but steady and the quality of playing at the annual convention continues to improve.

It remains extremely difficult, if not impossible, in North America for a classical mandolin virtuoso to make a living. The classical guitar, on the other hand, has reached the point where many talented guitarists can piece together a career by teaching at one or more colleges, maintaining a private studio, performing, composing and recording. Maybe someday for mandolinists.

Despite not being established in the Academy the mandolin in America is in a very good place because of it's versatility in a wide variety of styles of music. The legacy of Bill Monroe (and not only Bill but I won't make a list here) has inspired thousands of musicians, from beginners to wizards, to pursue mastery of our instrument.

It may be that the mandolin will just continue to make its own way forward. There is no doubt, however, that the instrument is moving ahead and gaining followers every day.
    Very well said. The good news is that Chapman University's program chair is allowing me to audition for their classical guitar program. I am optimistic that this will be a good program for me as I have studied with their director before.

At this point I'm really just curious if there's anyone in the U.S. attempting the same as I am right now.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emily Weerheim For This Useful Post:

My mandolin teacher graduated from Regis University with a degree in Mandolin Performance. Not sure of the details, if you are interested pm me.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Barnett For This Useful Post:

UPDATE:
    Thank you to all who replied to this thread. I was not aware of the CMSA or the legacy of Alison Stephens. I am very excited to be able to say that Chapman University's guitar program has accepted me as a classical mandolin student. I think this is very exciting news for any future mandolinists that run into the same problem that I have for years. It only takes a simple reaching out in order to have the mandolin recognized by others.
    Chapman University's college of music and performing arts program in general is impressive to say the least. Chris Thile recently visited the university's new music hall that was deemed one of the best acoustic halls in the area. This leads me to believe that master classes with successful artists and mandolinists is possible. I am excited to see if study abroad semesters are a possibility for me, especially to Germany as mentioned in order to connect with Chris Acquavella.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emily Weerheim For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Excellent news. Definitely keep networking and reaching out to as many established players, composers and their students as you can.
    You might want to check out Anna Shivazappa for further inspiration in the art of collaboration to create new possibilities http://www.annaschivazappa.com/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

30. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

DougC 

If it were me I would study ethnomusicology, start a classical mandolin club on campus and/or teach a recreation and leisure class on the subject. Then if I decided to go on to grad school I'd work toward a PhD in classical mandolin and then I would get a job teaching it and voila, there would now be a place where classical mandolin is at least a class offered at a university somewhere.

Thanks for the update and all the best going forward!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

This is great news that the folks at Chapman will allow you to study classical mandolin under the umbrella of the guitar program. Your story could inspire others to try and convince other higher ed institutions to try a similar approach. This could be a very practical way to promote classical mandolin study in the U.S.

I'm assuming that you will take the standard courses that every music major at Chapman would take and that your private lessons and ensemble requirements will be what make you different from the regular guitar students (or oboe or tuba students for that matter).

By the way the CMSA convention next fall will be in San Diego. I can't recall the exact dates but, with luck and flexibility, you might be able to attend at least part of the convention. I'm not privy to who the special guests might be but there are always numerous excellent classical players in attendance. In fact some of your soon-to-be guitar-studying classmates might be interested as well. CMSA makes a real effort to provide programming for classical guitarists as well because of their importance in the world of classical mandolin, both in chamber groups with mandolin and in mandolin orchestras. Plus there are scholarship opportunities that will be announced well before the convention.

Finally, you might consider becoming a member of CMSA after the first of the year. Student membership is only $25 and runs from Jan. 1 through the calendar year. Check the CMSA website for more complete info.

Congratulations on your persistence, and credit to Chapman for being open minded.

34. The following members say thank you to John Goodin for this post:

John-

Thank you for this information, much appreciated. I hope you are right that this will open more doors for classical mandolinists in the future. We sure need more opportunities here in the US.

Hi Emily,

Best of luck with your studies in Chapman. I was Ali's first principal study student in Trinity. I too had a bit of a struggle at first - they didn't know where to stick me either! For the first academic year I was in the Early Music (pre-Baroque) department, with viola da gamba and recorder players, trying to read Lassus and play it on a modern mandolin. :/ But from the 2nd year through to graduation I was in the strings department, which was mainly orchestral strings but some guitarists as well. Our syllabus on mandolin followed that of the violin quite closely, annoyingly so in some cases. Like the end of 2nd year exam, where you had to play a movement of a classical period concerto and write/perform your own cadenza. Lots of options for the fiddlers, for mandolin... Hummel and that's about it.

https://www.shutterstock.com/editori...egan--4006363a

Do have a look at Alison Stephens. She was an amazing lady who did an awful lot for classical mandolin, not least commissioning an array of new contemporary music for mandolin. The repertoire with Craig Ogden might be of interest to you if you're joining a department with classical guitarists.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010563