Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to play in A Flat

Default How to play in A Flat

I have been asked to play "In the Garden" in A Flat. WItht the guitar I would just capo one and play in G. Does that work on the Madolin? Also would rather not capo a mandolin. I don't know if I can play in A Flat even if I could find the chords. I would appreciate any help.
    1989 Flatiron Performer
    2018 Martin D-18
    2014 Santa Cruz OM PW
    2008 Santa Cruz D/PW
    2009 Goodall TMHD
    2016 Martin 00042 Custom Shop

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: How to play in A Flat

Certainly the capo works on a mandolin same as guitar.

Would you be able to play this tune in any other closed position, like Bb or F?
    If so, you can just move those patterns to the Ab position. If it would help, further details can be given.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

3. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

I really have trouble working around the Capo. i suppose I could just transpose the song to the key of A flat and learn the chords. just so short on time.
    1989 Flatiron Performer
    2018 Martin D-18
    2014 Santa Cruz OM PW
    2008 Santa Cruz D/PW
    2009 Goodall TMHD
    2016 Martin 00042 Custom Shop

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Can you play in G without using open strings, both melody and chords? (Bluegrass chop chords normally avoid open strings). If so, just imagine that the fret markers are one fret higher and play it in G, or let's call it "new G", since G# and Ab are the same key.

But if you really need the open strings, hey, a capo is just a tool for making music, and there's no good reason to avoid a tool that works. "I only ever use claw hammers, 'cause we all know that ball peen hammers are for wimps." Sounds silly, doesn't it?

In case the need arises: Be aware that mandolin capos and banjo capos are the same thing.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Well, I don't know the tune but I do know that the beauty of the mandolin is it's 5ths tuning.

If you do key of G a G chop chord (1) 7523, C chord (4) 523x and D chord (5) 745x so...move up a fret to Ab which would be 8634, Db in 634x, Eb is 856x.

You can use Jethro 3 finger chords for Ab 1134, Db 134x, Eb 356x.

For melody in a pinch plant your index finger on the root of each chord - Ab, Db, Eb - and go for the "bluegrass box", your ear will tell you when you hit a bad note.

Have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Some previous posts have mentioned capo use -

Either you use a capo on the first fret and employ the basic open string key of G fingerings,

OR, and, I say with all respect, deal with this like any Classical, jazz, Italian, choro, (etc.) mandolinist would. How?

Use closed fingerings in Ab.

Frankly, my teachers said a mandolinist should be able to play in all keys on their mandolin.

Now, if the tune and/or style really wants open strings as a sonority, great, use a capo and open string fingerings with as little guilt as a flamenco guitar player.

Otherwise, A flat ( or G sharp as it may be) is not that hard. Of course the only open string in the key is the low G, but that gives you a chance to work on 4-finger patterns.

Here's your 2 octave Ab scale in first position:

G string:

(low 7, G ) Ab, fret 1, Bb, fret 3, C, fret 5, Db, fret 6

D string: Eb, fret 1, F, fret 3, G, fret 5, Ab, fret 6

note these are the same pattern, fingers 1-2-3-4 with the half step between finger 3 and 4.

A string: Bb, fret 1, C, fret 3, Db, fret 4, Eb, fret 6

E string: F, fret 1, G, fret 3, Ab, fret 4, Bb, fret 6

note these are the same pattern, fingers 1-2-3-4 with the half step between finger 2 and 3.

That's just the scale.

The basic chords in Ab are also readily learnable:

Ab, Bbm, Cm, Db, Eb, Fm, G dim

I hope this helps make Ab - and other non-folky keys - less difficult.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ricklmf View Post
    I really have trouble working around the Capo. i suppose I could just transpose the song to the key of A flat and learn the chords. just so short on time.
    I thoroughly agree with David that you want to get — eventually— to where all the keys are just as easy. BUT as time is limited, I can think of a couple of desperate measures that might work.

1. You're accompanying singers? If you're the only instrumentalist, they may not mind singing in G instead of Ab. It's just a tiny change for them. In fact, since you'll be giving them their starting notes, they don't even need to know.

2. But if other players are involved, instead of using a capo just tune your mandolin up a half-step and play in G. Not for the squeamish.

Rest assured, pro accompanists have used these and other strategies in this kind of situation.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

ajhDavidKOS 

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Retuning might work if you're about to play only that song. Otherwise you'd have to bring two mandolins. Capos can be a bit confusing when going up the neck (I also avoid them on guitar), also they tend to throw the instrument out of tune.

Several of the posters think of Ab as G#, capo or transpose up a fret and use G fingerings. To me the most natural approach is to think of Ab as A moved down one fret, assuming that you're used to using the seventh fret in first position (I often prefer 7th fret to open for pick economy). That's one reason I reject the rigid formula "one finger, two frets", which would call for different fingerings in Ab and A. To me the natural diatonic approach is "next scale note, next finger". This tune seems to be compleely diatonic apart from an occasional B note to be fretted with the same finger as the neighboring c notes.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ralph johansson For This Useful Post:

There’s a chord chart listed under the ‘listen/learn’ tab at the top of this page. If you can play a G scale starting on your pinky, you can play in Ab.

But it depends on how fancy the arrangement is and the nature of the occasion. There’s a tab at mandozine for the tune in D. What key do you know the tune in?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

15. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    ... I reject the rigid formula "one finger, two frets"
    Just an aside, Ralph (but you brought it up), I am curious: Where is this taught or recommended as a "rigid formula"? I have to confess that I've not heard it taught as a rigid formula anywhere, only as a tool for indicating hand position. In practice, there is no such rigid adherence to such a formula for actually playing every note; it is a guide indicated by hand positioning.

"Next scale note, next finger" would be the correct and natural way of playing scales ... and scale notes that span a whole step interval mean the fingers that play those scale notes will span two frets. Leaving scales, when chromatic runs are played, sometimes it is most efficient to play "next note, next finger" while other phrases will require sliding a finger up covering multiple frets for multiple notes. Efficiency rules. None of this explains why you recoil at the idea of proper hand position on mandolin being indicated by two frets per finger, as opposed to guitar being one fret per finger. My own opinion is that you fight a straw man when you (often) post about this. I've read your comments on the subject for years, and I just don't see where you differ in anything other than terminology.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

17. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Just an aside, Ralph (but you brought it up), I am curious: Where is this taught or recommended as a "rigid formula"?
    It is taught by this guy on youtube at 3:58

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

19. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

1. You're accompanying singers? If you're the only instrumentalist, they may not mind singing in G instead of Ab.
    I'm sensing that you haven't played with too many singers.
    Bobby Bill

Learn this number, you'll be jamming in Ab in no time...and who can spot the error in the chords?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flickin'MyPick.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	174656  

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    I'm sensing that you haven't played with too many singers.
    Actually many many singers and choirs. I recall a very good Sinatra-style singer who wanted to do Embraceable You on a big show with guitar only (that's me) instead of the full band. His key was Eb. I talked him up to E, which made a much fuller accompaniment possible. Everyone was happy. Another singer did God Bless the Child with me in E for the same reason. But it's not a normal key for that kind of song.

I'm talking about solo guitar here. As soon as there's a bass player, I'm fine with any key.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Learn this number, you'll be jamming in Ab in no time...and who can spot the error in the chords?
    The Bbdim7 in measures 2 and 6 are not right - either the chord should be a Bbm7 (like in measure 4) or the notes should be Bb-Db-Fb-Abb. No F flat, no Abb, no Bbdim7.

25. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

You. my friend, win the internet. The chord should be a Bbm7.

The fact that Jethro penned this number at all is amazing and testifies to his greatness.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    You. my friend, win the internet. The chord should be a Bbm7.

The fact that Jethro penned this number at all is amazing and testifies to his greatness.
    Which Jethro book was that from, please?

This one, ca. 1976.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jethro_book_cover.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	174657  

30. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Blog Entries

FFCP as a practice regime is very helpful in being able to move a tune from one key to another. The harder thing is to learn the tune in closed position.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    It is taught by this guy on youtube at 3:58

Thanks Doug! Not to be contentious, but Mike does not teach that as “a rigid formula” but rather as a general rule. I teach the same, and scores of others do also. If you pay attention, you’ll find that Ralph always takes issue with this. But it is my belief that he is fighting a straw man, because it is my belief that no one teaches this as “a rigid formula”, and it is my belief that “next scale note, next finger”, when playing scales, does not change the general rule of “one finger, two frets.” Find a video, or a post on this forum, where someone teaches that this is an ironclad rule with no exceptions to which a person must rigidly adhere. If you can show me that, then maybe I’ll understand what Ralph is constantly objecting to.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Many fiddle players will tune down a half step and play out of shapes in the key of A.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Find a video, or a post on this forum, where someone teaches that this is an ironclad rule with no exceptions to which a person must rigidly adhere. If you can show me that, then maybe I’ll understand what Ralph is constantly objecting to.

I agree.
    But I guess I'm late to the party and see no reason to voice frustrations about people. I've learned quite a bit from both of you.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

35. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Actually many many singers and choirs.
    I guess I was saying something (in jest) more about the singers I have played with than the ones you have.
    Bobby Bill

37. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

A flat is quite popular for vocalists, especially as they age. Voice ranges tend to get lower. I’ve played quite a few tunes in A flat, including Orphan Girl. You learn to adapt, and sometimes tune down.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

A flat is quite popular for vocalists, especially as they age. Voice ranges tend to get lower.
    I have heard this many times and I have given up on understanding it. How is a "c" played in the key of A flat any lower than a "c" played in the key of C? How does a key say anything about the range of notes one might find in it without direct reference to a particular tune? And if the particular tune was in G and you transposed to A flat, you would be raising the range.

I guess this is a rhetorical rant and you do not really have to try to explain it to me.
    Bobby Bill