Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: One mando kind of picker...

Default Re: One mando kind of picker...

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    These other things do exist, but they are second best to what I have. I don't put up with second best.

P.S. to explain what may sound a bit harsh: as an ITM player, I have TAS (tune aquisition syndrome), and once I can play all of the some 4000 Irish tunes out there waiting to be explored, THEN I'll... no, wait, first I'll go into the plethora of Scottish tunes, but THEN... no, wait, I'm sure there's a lot of Manx tunes I haven't even heard yet, but AFTER THAT, I may look into.. no, wait...
    Right. Even with trad from the Northern Isles I cant resist playing different instruments - fiddle tunes on fiddle; harp tunes on harp; pipe tunes on free reeds (I don't play pipes)...so many tunes..

I just wanted to hear Y tune on X instrument. I had no idea how transcendental it was to make one's own music. (It's not like eating one's own cooking.) While I have more than one of most of the instruments I play, I still tend to have a respective favorite of each. If I won the lottery, I really don't think I'd go shopping for any particular instrument. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Good to see your post OS!

David, in my case variation is limitation. I know I'd be better on an instrument if I picked one to learn exclusively, forsaking all others for one absolutely focused pursuit, but at this stage of the game I really don't want to do that. Mandolin is my favorite by far, but there are applications where guitar just works better (at least in my non-Thile hands). Also, I'm the utility guy in our praise band. I play what the band needs for any particular song. Last weekend I played my Mandobird, my MT, and my bass in the same service, because that's what the songs needed.

If money were no issue, I'd probably have a higher end F style and a high end oval hole, but would probably keep my guitars, banjo, and bass as they currently stand.
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    It's not like eating one's own cooking.
    It is for me. Nothing wrong with my cooking - I survived every breakfast so far. And I have learned to survive my own music videos.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    ... I know I'd be better on an instrument if I picked one to learn exclusively, forsaking all others for one absolutely focused pursuit, but at this stage of the game I really don't want to do that...
    In my case - I never particularly aspired to range so far, stylistically, and in fact tried often to resist it - ultimately failing (giving rise to my question/lack of understanding of - how DO folks resist it?). My desire WAS always to concentrate; I admire those who have that capacity to focus on one thing - for it's something fundamentally antithetical for me. I used to play harp tunes on guitar, then on hammered dulcimer - which only made me want to play the harp moreso. Same with fiddle tunes - many sound fine on mandolin, banjo, guitar...but the actual article animates these tunes like no other.

I think I've found that I'm mostly interested in sound - rather than repertoire, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I agree with the idea of course. But I start with the idea that we really don't need a musical instrument, in any real sense of the word "need". So the idea of indulging in a second mandolin, to backup the indulgence of the first mandolin... Well I like it. I agree. But can you really argue against the third one? I mean which total indulgence is more essential?
    Fair enough, I figure that as someone who has regular musical commitments, which make up a small but much appreciated part of my income, I like to be able to show up no matter what. But it's not a life-or-death kind of thing, for sure!

9. The following members say thank you to Matt DeBlass for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I'm late joining this thread but I've been meaning to post.

I am currently a 1 mando kind of guy, (I do still have the $50 CL Rover that I started on but it is hidden away in the closet and never comes out)... I scrimped and saved and sold stuff from my other hobby to afford my Eastman MD305... some call it cheap but it was not easy for me to afford... I've been making and selling armrest because I'd like to have an oval hole too, but I had to spend that money on home improvements so I'm back to the starting point there.... if I weren't busy making kitchen cabinets, I'd be cranking out armrests to make up for what's gone.

For some of us it's not easy to go out and drop $2k on an instrument or even $1200 on a vintage Gibson, and sometimes it's even difficult to raise $500 for what some call "cheap" ... it's not cheap to me and I do treasure it. So with that in mind I would love it if we could change our description of what you may consider less expensive or a "beater."
    Last edited by soliver; Nov-21-2016 at 8:05pm.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    For some of us it's not easy to go out and drop $2k on an instrument or even $1200 on a vintage Gibson, and sometimes it's even difficult to raise $500 for what some call "cheap" ... it's not cheap to me and I do treasure it. So with that in mind I would love it if we could change our description of what you may consider less expensive or a "beater."
    Spencer, I've suffered some reversals in fortune and spent the better part of the past decade in pretty dire straits; my Eastman and Washburn were both "extravagant" purchases when I made them. So, I identify with you there. The fact is, though, that many and possibly most guys here feel that a finer quality F-style mandolin generally runs $1,500 and up, A-styles a bit less. In general they're probably correct; at this point I have no way of truly knowing, since there are none around here to try and the two I own had to be bought sight unseen. Basically, I'm in a similar boat as you here, but I don't mind admitting that I play some cheaper mandolins. I still love them (when I'm not hating them for one reason or another ) I've heard you making some real nice music on your Eastman over in the newbies group. Keep on keepin' on, brother!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I have one, an Eastman MD315. I'm aware many consider it subpar. Whenever I ask opinions about upgrades, those folks are quick to point out I'm wasting my money and should sell the Eastman and drop another $1000 on something better.

The thing is, I have zero desire to own any more. I play more expensive mandos frequently, and I'm totally satisfied with this one. I decided when I got it I was going to spend my time playing, not being dissatisfied it wasn't the same model my favorite players used. Same thing when I traded one of my electric guitars for a banjo. I'm playing that one, and that's it.

Now, electric guitars are a totally different story. I've had a ton of them, and I'm always jonesing for another.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    Now, electric guitars are a totally different story. I've had a ton of them, and I'm always jonesing for another.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt DeBlass View Post
    Fair enough, I figure that as someone who has regular musical commitments, which make up a small but much appreciated part of my income, I like to be able to show up no matter what.!
    That is an entirely different thing.

Most of us don't make a nickel, and those of us who do make an occasional nickel it is entirely discretionary money that goes into the MAS budget. Or perhaps I am over generalizing. Maybe a percentage do make some scratch. That would be a different thread.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    .... Same thing when I traded one of my electric guitars for a banjo. I'm playing that one, and that's it.
    Eh, give it time - banjers are as good as most any instrument to gas for. BETTER than most actually - tinkerer's dream they are. In my experience - you get rid of your bevy of axes and electric gear - and replace them with a bevy of others...

But if you dont wanna play banjos, fiddle...
    Laurindo Almeida - had roomsfull of guitars: got rid of them all and played a Takemine E90.