Thread: L&H Jupiter bowlback (I think). Need help identifying year/model?

Question L&H Jupiter bowlback (I think). Need help identifying year/model?

Hey all,
    I was gifted this wonderful old bowlback by my fiancée for Christmas. It may not be the most well-preserved or top-of-the-line model, but I just appreciate the history this piece must have had, and it sounds great. I have a soft spot for instruments like this.

My question is this - what model, and what year, do you all suppose it may be?
    It has a cloth interior with a faded square label that says 'Jupiter Trademark', etc., and no information on the headstock. It also does not have the metal plate on the back of the headstock to cover the tuners. The only thing I've discovered in researching is that Lyon & Healy apparently made it? I could be wrong.

I really do not know much about these, but any information that could be sent my way, I appreciate it! Thanks, all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jue610.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	142310

Name:	2j6adtj.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	142311

Name:	21owp08.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	142312

Name:	2z9jnlv.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	142313

Name:	2mz0b9g.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	142314

Default Re: L&H Jupiter bowlback (I think). Need help identifying year/mo

The tuners aren't original, probably built by Lyon and Healy in Chicago before 1930. Jupiter was an L&H Trademark.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Mike's right on the L+H provenance and it's likely to be pre 1910, I think. The tuners may be replacement or original, but they do seem upside down--at least relative to the era. My L+H Washburns from this time period are worm gear under. These might simply have been put back on upside down or else are altogether replacements as suggested. Don't know when tuners changed over as a whole--though I should, it's been discussed here enough. Do they turn the "right" way?

In Bob Carlin's book on Regal mandolins he has reprints from his 1901 Regal catalog which look quite similar to Red Hand's mandolin. In Bob's book he says that after L+H purchased Regal they sold off their existing stock under their label. I can't recall whether this wound up being the "Lakeside" or "Jupiter" brand mandolins, or maybe both.

So my working theory is that this is an Indianapolis Regal-made (or partially made), L+H finished and / or branded mandolin. With muy sketchioso mounted tuners. Our scanner has fallen one or two driver updates behind Mac OS so I can only reference the pages (45-49) that I'm looking at in Bob's book.

As always, looking forward to being wrong….

Anyhow, yeah, you're right it is a budget line model, but it looks in quite playable condition. With a set of Extra Light (09-32) strings and a proper pick, it should play quite nicely. Your fiancé is to be applauded (and treasured.) Fair play to her….

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I'd agree with these gentlemen.

It's not a high-end fancy inlaid bowlback - but in good playing condition these simply decorated mandolins from L & H can sound quite good. I have a very similar mandolin, and it's aged quite nicely, with a sweet tone, and the action is still easy to play.

BTW, I have come across mandolin with reverse gear machines. They are uncommon, but I've seen a few.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    In Bob Carlin's book on Regal mandolins he has reprints from his 1901 Regal catalog which look quite similar to Red Hand's mandolin. In Bob's book he says that after L+H purchased Regal they sold off their existing stock under their label. I can't recall whether this wound up being the "Lakeside" or "Jupiter" brand mandolins, or maybe both.

So my working theory is that this is an Indianapolis Regal-made (or partially made), L+H finished and / or branded mandolin.
    ..... and a proper pick,
    Your theory may be worth looking into - these instrument were likely sold from maker to maker as need be, and jobbed around a lot, not to mention labels that identify the seller, not the maker.

8. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

And it came with a case! Very unusual in that age instrument! Your fiancé is a keeper for such a great (and thoughtful) gift.

Those tuners may be correct in their orientation as far as the tuners go, they were probably worm over tuners that were available after the mid-twenties. I'm sure the mandolin came with worm under tuners originally. That's why they look odd. Whoever did the repair just used what they had laying around.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Mike, I think you are right. Just checked on my Martin and the slant / cut of these gears is in the proper orientation for the worm-over style. Flipped a Washburn over and the gear threads are still slanted to the left. Duh. I could have done that easily before my first post.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

13. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post: