Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are People Buying Less Mandolins Now?

Default Re: Are People Buying Less Mandolins Now?

I have been limiting myself to buying one at a time these days.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    If I can do it, you can too. There’s also old time two finger and three finger style. I bought an OME Flora, walnut. Beautiful. Missed the Eclipse they had while I was dithering. Lukas Pool has a great online resource of lessons. He’s a heck of a player.......
    I missed the Chanterelle that Elderly had. Had a lot more inlay than a typical banjo in that price range. Looked like a lot of instrument for $1,100. Oh well, there's a tenor coming that will keep me plenty busy. I've been watching Lukas' videos on YouTube. Discovered he was the banjo player on E-And' A with Darol Anger and Joe Walsh. That recording is about half clawhammer and half bluegrass 5 string. And not to turn this into a banjo thread but he posted this recently and it is such a beautiful example of his playing:

3. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I missed the Chanterelle that Elderly had. Had a lot more inlay than a typical banjo in that price range. Looked like a lot of instrument for $1,100. Oh well, there's a tenor coming that will keep me plenty busy. I've been watching Lukas' videos on YouTube. Discovered he was the banjo player on E-And' A with Darol Anger and Joe Walsh. That recording is about half clawhammer and half bluegrass 5 string. And not to turn this into a banjo thread but he posted this recently and it is such a beautiful example of his playing:

Lukas worked at TME for a while. He makes a great banjo, and he has a great Cd out on Bandcamp. Banjo has a lot of different cultures, and the styles kind of mesh together depending on the region of country you are from, how you learned, etc. Another great is Riley Baugus (who recorded some of the Cold Mountain soundtrack) and makes great banjos out of NC. This is all great music and all these guys play mandolin too, so there's your mandolin content.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I'm into the re fretting some I already owned, by now.. should sell a couple..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    I have been limiting myself to buying one at a time these days.
    Good restraint, Bill
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I figure several people likely bought instruments with the stimulus money they recv'd, but when times are "uncertain" (though there have never truly been "certain" times) people do sometimes hold back on buying more toys.

Recently I have wondered about many of the artists who simply make a living by going out and playing (like most of the people discussed on this forum). I really hope no one has had to sell instruments off to make their bills. That would be awful.

I read a letter from the host of Woodsongs a couple weeks ago. He stated that if things don't pick up, he might have to sell his place with his cabin in the woods sometime in the summer. That is just so sad to me. Hopefully before things come to that, he (or anyone in his shoes) would seek a regular job with a steady paycheck to hold things together till he can get back to making music. God help us all.

Good restraint, Bill
    Just like anything else, I've matured and mellowed with age. Heck, I'll be 70 next February. Everybody slows down eventually.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Speaking of two finger style banjo playing, Nick Hornbuckle with John Reischman and The Jaybirds plays an amazing two finger style bluegrass banjo. Others probably do too, but I've never heard about them playing at his level. If you didn't know about it, you'd think Hornbuckle was playing three finger bluegrass style. Fast too when he needs to!
    John A. Karsemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Speaking of two finger style banjo playing, Nick Hornbuckle with John Reischman and The Jaybirds plays an amazing two finger style bluegrass banjo. Others probably do too, but I've never heard about them playing at his level. If you didn't know about it, you'd think Hornbuckle was playing three finger bluegrass style. Fast too when he needs to!
    John, there seem to be a lot of two finger players, from what I have been finding. Aaron Keim, who makes ukuleles and banjos (mighty fine ones too) under thebeansprout.com mon, has a book out dedicated to this style. There's a great Mike Seeger documentary, Just Around the Bend, put out by Smithsonian Folkways, just after Mike passed away. It goes through all the different styles with some of the great players in all the styles.

https://folkways.si.edu/justaroundthebend

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

JAK 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    Just like anything else, I've matured and mellowed with age. Heck, I'll be 70 next February. Everybody slows down eventually.
    I feel that way after I've spent a few hours restringing. But I have kept my fiddle buying down to a minimum. The mandolins just seem to jump out and stick to me, kind of like they are on velcro.

15. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98349477_3220480771336009_7866609567608602624_n (1).jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	185954

Incoming!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Incoming!
    Wow! Good for you!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Incoming!
    Me too! Well, in progress.

Name:	black mandolin.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	185955

21. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm certainly buying less mandolins.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Out of Work low income at best Professional musicians are selling gear now.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

That's the beauty of playing an instrument, while jamming with others is a plus, it usually isn't the primary reason to purchase an instrument. If you're gong to be stuck at home and you always wanted to learn an instrument or are just ready because you feel you will be able to commit at least some time to it, that's ussualy good enough justification to take the plunge.
    Not a bad thing to "clear inventories" of lower end mandos, as we all know purchasing a low end mandolin often leads to purchasing higher value instruments and in some cases to excess. So I understand the concern for "supply chain" but I am a firm believer in the the invisible hand of the free market forging the economic path.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Incoming!

Congratulations on that one - more beautiful work from Max & Lauri!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I bought one of those Ute banjos direct from the Ogsburys during isolation. So I'm doing my part to keep the economy going.
    Last edited by Scott Rucker; May-20-2020 at 12:07pm. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    I bought one of those Ute banjos direct from the Ogsburys during isolation. So I'm doing my part to keep the economy going.
    How are you liking it? They look really nice!

I like it. It plays well and is very light. I'm a fan of woody banjos so the lack of a metal tone ring was no big deal to me. I think it's very similar to the early Enoch Tradesman banjos I tried out back then in terms of sound and feel as well as over all vibe. I like the chamfered fingerboard edge solution to the scoop dilemma. I would have liked a little more fine sanding and another coat or 2 of oil on the neck but I'd say it will wear/play in over time. Now if I ever do get the chance to play it with people....

29. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    I like it. It plays well and is very light. I'm a fan of woody banjos so the lack of a metal tone ring was no big deal to me. I think it's very similar to the early Enoch Tradesman banjos I tried out back then in terms of sound and feel as well as over all vibe. I like the chamfered fingerboard edge solution to the scoop dilemma. I would have liked a little more fine sanding and another coat or 2 of oil on the neck but I'd say it will wear/play in over time. Now if I ever do get the chance to play it with people....
    Congratulations on the purchase! I've been dedicated fan of Ome Banjos for quite a while. I'm thinking that you probably became immediate friends with Chuck and Tanya Ogsbury if you dealt with one or both of them. They truly are super nice folks. The Ute line truly offers some very nice instruments at some terrific prices. I had heard a couple of stories about how the Ute line came into being but I don't know how valid those stories are. But that's for another discussion; I've derailed this thread enough.

31. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

I commissioned a custom Davey Stuart build a year ago, no way I'm giving up my spot in line to a virus. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase! I've been dedicated fan of Ome Banjos for quite a while. I'm thinking that you probably became immediate friends with Chuck and Tanya Ogsbury if you dealt with one or both of them. They truly are super nice folks. The Ute line truly offers some very nice instruments at some terrific prices. I had heard a couple of stories about how the Ute line came into being but I don't know how valid those stories are. But that's for another discussion; I've derailed this thread enough.
    i probably heard a few of the same stories, i did hear there will probably only be around 200 of the Utes made due to the supply of material already available for such-not sure if that is true but it came from a trusted source about a year ago.
    i love OMEs , Chuck and Tanya have always been super nice to speak with in regards to their banjos. the Utes are really nice banjos for the $, and if you want to have a slightly different tone, buy a Dobson tonering from Rickard and they usually slide right on-instant Dobson tone. You can do the same with the Enoch Tradesman and have a different tone with little investment.

34. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Incoming!
    Mary, thats beautiful!
    please post some pictures of it when it arrives-i bet the back and neck are eye popping.
    d

not meaning to derail the thread, but hope this adds. the entry level Deering Goodtime can be a swell platform to start on, they are made out of good solid woods and setup quite nice. you can go far with one. this young lady has been all over the place with hers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBkhAg8S_Gs

and she took up mandolin some time last year if i remember correct
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxQ_xl7Ls0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H6IUQqG_U4