Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre NAMM discussion

Blog Entries

Default Pre NAMM discussion

Headed to the Winter NAMM Show tomorrow. Have a few things on my list to visit but always interested in what others than can't attend might wish to hear or see.

Visits I make every year, not in any particular order: Collings, Weber, Eastman, Kentucky (Saga), Gold Tone, Gibson if time permits since they usually don't have a lot of mandolin action.

Hunt down and photograph the elusive Fender electric tenor guitar, assuming one person on their staff can find it, unlike last year.

Visit to GHS, Calton, TKL, possibly a few other case manufacturers.

Hunting down lots of folks to visit with that will not be there with a booth but on the floor, like the Ellis crew, Straight Up Strings, Peghead Nation, Northfield, Carters, Music Emporium, Werbins (Elderly), Sylvan Music, Alex Heflin from LA who is attending as a MC guest, etc. etc.

New this year, have a young professional freelance photographer in tow who usually doesn't take photos of mandolins but grew up surrounded by them. Skye Tichenor, who graduated from an Amsterdam based arts school last Fall will be joining me from her new home in Calgary, Canada. First time tagging along for work purposes though she made a visit with me in high school. We have some ideas but no idea how they'll play out. I'm prepared to be schooled

Oh, and of course it wouldn't be a NAMM thread without the fun of tossing out some red meat. There's one announcement we're privy to that will rock the industry that's not on anyone's radar. Nope, you don't know. Brace for impact... wait... wait... Friday afternoon about 2:00 p.m. or later Pacific Time. Possibly later. We'll see.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre NAMM discussion

Actually, now that I think of it, sitting on another huge event that will rock the retail world for mandolins. Exciting stuff, don't think this new one will happen by the end of NAMM though but probably within a month.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Headed to the Winter NAMM Show tomorrow.........

Oh, and of course it wouldn't be a NAMM thread without the fun of tossing out some red meat. There's one announcement we're privy to that will rock the industry that's not on anyone's radar. Nope, you don't know. Brace for impact... wait... wait... Friday afternoon about 2:00 p.m. or later Pacific Time. Possibly later. We'll see.
    Let the rampant speculation begin......

"Tom Ellis sells the business to Collings". How's that for not on anyone's radar?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

<Oh, and of course it wouldn't be a NAMM thread without the fun of tossing out some red meat. There's one announcement we're privy to that will rock the industry that's not on anyone's radar. Nope, you don't know. Brace for impact... wait... wait... Friday afternoon about 2:00 p.m. or later Pacific Time. Possibly later. We'll see.>

Finally! Schmergel is going to release the budget Annihilator line! The Devastator has been way out of reach for the typical player for way too long. Awesome: a budget line to answer the issue of unobtanium!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Greenspoon For This Useful Post:

Well that is good news indeed, an affordable Schmergel is way overdue but it think he’s talking about this...”bluegrass icons embrace mandolin capo, says its all part of everything after all”
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I'll be attending, and really wanted to see some Northfield action, but they're not showing
    Looking forward to your posts, as I know you'll get better shots and find more booths than I will...

Is it Friday yet????
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

exciting times, looking forward to some neat pictures and information in the bleak midwinter.

d

i'm going to be first in line to buy Gibson's new Ricky Skaggs signature edition Master Model bowlback.

13. The following members say thank you to Joe Dodson for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Limited edition solid body electric mandolin alert.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jan-14-2020 at 2:24am.

Schmergal moves production to Guam, increases production three fold, tells no one.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I’ll miss seeing you. Have a good show!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I hope Skye will also take pictures of some of the more 'unconventional' hair-dos and outfits. It seems like half the fun of NAMM would be the crowd itself.

Congratulations on Skye's graduation. I am sure you are a very proud Papa. A graduation is a victory for the whole family, not just the graduate. Something to celebrate.

Watch for Todaro Music's booth. Joe Todaro of Lansdowne PA (just outsi Philly) is at the epicenter of Philly mandolin culture (strong mandolin culture in Philly) as he leads the Philadelphia Mandolin and Guitar Ensemble and is also half of the mandolin-guitar duo Sycamore Muse. He seeks out and imports ethnic stringed instruments from around the world, especially Central/South America, and is a real source of knowledge. He has a booth there every year and is a real character and great guy. I think you'd have a lot of fun speaking with him.

Happy travels, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    I’ll miss seeing you. Have a good show!
    Put some headphones on, turn up max volume and dial in Twister Sister on Spotify for 8 hours. Get a ball bat and beat the bottoms of your feet right proper. Stare at the sun long enough to get a mild migraine. Don't forget to run out and grab a convenience store sandwich with bad bread and imagine you're paying $14 for it. Have a beer at 6:30 p.m. It'll be just like old times!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

News is that Gibson are going to build a huge new mandolin factory on the West Coast?

Hey -- ain't no "c" in Shmergel.

I should know.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

I should know.
    All of my mandolins are hit or miss on whether they have a C in them on any given day.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

I should know.
    well maybe shmergel is going to introduce a mandola or mandocello branded Schmergel :D
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

Oh, I'm bracing for impact on Friday, no doubt. 8"-10" of snow is expected to arrive then. Ugh.

As for mandolin stuff, check out and report back on the Bourgeois/Eastman mandolin if it's there.

Schmergal is to Shmergal as Givson is to Gibson...

Looking forward to the news and pics!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Let the rampant speculation begin......

"Tom Ellis sells the business to Collings". How's that for not on anyone's radar?
    Bite your tongue.....

A Calton sales rep told me a little while back that they're coming out soon with a new F-model mandolin case, still tapered like the traditional A/F version, but a little larger at each end to provide better peghead scroll and lower body point clearance. Can you confirm that with them? Thanks!

Gibson Brands, Inc. to Announce New Line of Seven String Mandolins

Hoping to continue the positive momentum started at the Summer 2019 NAMM show in Nashville where the company previewed several new guitar models, Gibson Brands plans to introduce a new line of mandolins from the Nashville custom shop at the Winter 2020 NAMM show on Friday. CEO, James “JC” Curleigh said in a press release, "We got a heck of a deal on three on a plate bass-side tuners from a supplier in China. These mandos have all the treble response you could want, with 25% less bass holding them back. We think these new seven stringed instruments, to be labeled F-7s after the short-lived model built between 1934 and 1939, will be a great addition to our product line."

Gibson Brands, which emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2019 with private equity partner KKR & Company of New York, is under strong pressure to satisfy their investors. "We can increase margins by 12.5% by only using seven tuners," said CEO Curleigh. "And we have fewer nut and saddle slots to cut so that saves on production costs. It's a win-win for us."

You heard it here first!

More speculation

Gibson spins off ‘Gibson Mandolin Company’ to Dave Harvey and Bruce Weber. Production moves back to Montana. Or,

Gibson initiates lawsuit against everyone who makes ‘F’ style mandolins. ‘Those ‘cease and desist’ letters just didn’t work’, a spokesman was quoted as saying. Or,

Zeta announces Jazz Fusion mandolin. ‘I always wanted to make a better mandolin’ said Steve Carlson.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Teacher, repair person

I started to post a couple of Gibson speculations last night, then changed my mind. But since others have opened the door . . .

Zakk Wylde Explorer Limited Edition mandolin, and Green Splatter Burst Les Paul mandolin;
    or
    Leather, denim, and T-shirt themed CEO Limited Edition F-5, with list price of $30,000.

-or-

I'll keep my real Gibson speculation to myself. If I'm right, they won't be announcing it at NAMM anyway.