Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheering during live performance

Default Cheering during live performance

Don't you wish people would refrain from cheering, whistling, yelling, whooping hollering
    during a live performance untill the last note has died, it doesn't add to the performance, the exception is when the performers engage the public or invite them to sing along.

During a classical music performance, one gets some looks if they start clapping at the wrong time.
    During a classical performences people clap when the mucisians come on stage,
    then silent untill after the performance , then clap for an extended period time and call
    bravo , depending on the quality of the performance, this I think is all together more respectfull.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleyenaar For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cheering during live performance

No, I don't wish that.
    I'm a fan of many types of music. Some that are best for quiet listening, while others evoke spontaneous expression of enjoyment. I love it when I'm playing for a crowd and they are having so much fun that they yell out. The audience is part of the performance

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peterleyenaar View Post
    Don't you wish people would refrain from cheering, whistling, yelling, whooping hollering
    during a live performance untill the last note has died, it doesn't add to the performance, the exception is when the performers engage the public or invite them to sing along.
    People are alive and awake during your performances?!

Please, tell me your secrets on how to achieve the same effect with my audiences.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teak For This Useful Post:

I tend to agree - cheering etc.,during a performance is maybe more off-putting for the other members of the audience than the band.

I remember watching a TV documentary about the Irish Riverdance troup when they visited China. During each performance,the Chinese audience sat like statues in their seats - not an eyelid flickered,no facial expressions at all !!. The dancers thought that they'd cra**ed out,but at the end,the audience absolutely erupted & applauded for ages - i'm not quite sure that i'd enjoy 'that' particular experience either !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Cheering and clapping after someone finishing their break bothers me,you can't hear the next guy starting their solo..

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

To paraphrase Ricky Skaggs from their Live in Charleston album, “If ya feel like whoopin’ And hollerin’, then whoop and holler!”

Agree, though, that it depends on the setting and type of performance...
    Chuck

11. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

We usually play small venues, usually 100 people or less. A lot of times our audience is made up of friends and neighbors. This provides a familiarity between audience and crowd where approval shown by an occasional whoop or applause in the middle of a tune is welcome and appreciated. Indifference is harder to take.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

No. Make some noise, sing along, clap, dance, stomp, drink whisky, have a good time while we play. Enjoy the show.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bad Monkey For This Useful Post:

Since we are talking about live performance pet peeves, how about when the performer stops singing so the audience can sing the song? I never like that. I came to hear the artist sing, not the audience.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I agree with not clapping until the end of classical pieces. The whole piece, not just a movement. I think it's mainly people not as familiar with the music that clap at the end of a movement, but for people who are familiar, it's a bit jarring. I must admit though that I've been to a few classical concerts where the soloist's first movement was so bravura that clapping was unavoidable.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Busman For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

you are entertaining the audience, not the other way around. I just can't imagine a jazz performance where the audience isn't moved by some improvisation. They'll let the performers know! I found bluegrass at the same time I found jazz. I saw those same interactions between the music and the audience. I wouldn't want that to end.

In classical, I'll agree it's different. They again, there's a different audience expectation. I guess I should have started by saying I, "Found" classical music first, 'cause my parents dragged us to the symphony well before I know popular music existed.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I don't mind the sing along thing at all.In fact I like it. We went to a Johnny Cash tribute band concert last night (Cash Unchained) and the lead singer had us sing along with the chorus of Ring Of Fire, and the Yippiyay part of Ghost Riders In The Sky.It was great fun.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

23. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

For me I guess it depends on the setting and musical style.

I'm a big fan of playing and attending small gigs at coffee shops, singer songwriter type music where it is quite appropriate for folks to quietly chat, play games, clank cups, sing along, clap after songs or solos, etc. The people that want to hear the artist sit close.

Only one time did a kid bring his own guitar to play play along (poorly) and was asked to put his instrument away. Instead he went outside to "street perform" his own material right by the window I was set up by. The owner ran him off. This bothered me.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I once heard in a Chris Thilie video where he said he found it odd at a classical performance that the audience doesn't cheer or whoop it up at the end of a piece that the symphony just nailed.
    I agree with his thoughts.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

===========

I learned the hard way that they get mad at the opera, when you sing along with the tenor . . . .

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterleyenaar View Post
    during a live performance untill the last note has died . . . .
    No. When people whoop and holler, I say: mission accomplished!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Having listened to many recordings of live performances, I get the impression that whooping, clapping and cheering (along with the audience talking and walking about), is largely an American phenomenan. Although I can't say that it never happens, it's certainly nowhere near as bad in the UK. People prefer to listen to what they've paid to hear and not some over-enthustic idiot in the audince who thinks the sound of his voice is more important than the act on stage.

I've a feeling that this all started when audiences developed the habit of applauding at the beginning of a piece; presumably to indicate that they are so clever that they have already recognised the tune about to be played.

Not strictly on topic but one thing that I do find particularly annoying is the curent trend to employ some numpty to play awful music all the way through some sporting fixtures.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

What about when band members whoop or holler during the performance. That happens too. Adds a lot of energy. I like it from the audience or the band if done tastefully. Clapping, not so much.

Depends on what the management of the place wants, at The Birchmere in Va. they don`t allow any talking above a whisper when a song is being played, and then there at places where an "applause" sign is held up so that people will clap and holler, mostly at live performances that are being recorded for sales...I have a III Tyme Out CD where the yelling is louder than the band...

Myself, it doesn`t bother me except sometimes I forget what I am suppose to be singing or saying...To me it means that the listeners are enjoying themselves and that's what matters...

Willie

35. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

I love it when an audience erupts at the end of a song, even when it overlaps with the ringing of the final notes. Many of my favorite albums are live albums, and when the audience reacts that immediately and that strongly I often feel that it is a testament to the energy and the room and the performance that the artist just put on. Generally speaking, I would much prefer to list to a live show where an amped up audience can be heard than I would a studio recording that doesn't feel as "alive" (to me).

Here's a recent on that I have been loving. This great example of the feel that I love in live music - there are people cheering throughout, clapping, whooping, particularly at the end, and I think it really only adds to the feel of the performance.

As far as the classical vs other genres discussion regarding audience reaction, this is an interesting interview with Thile about the difference between reserved, classical audiences and audiences in other genres, as well as the expectations that accompany different types of shows. I think he makes some very good points (his playing is, of course, a wonderful and helpful demonstration).
    If anything, this video is worth watching for the way he juxtaposes Bach with Radiohead.
    EDIT: I see Pittsburgh Bill mentioned this video as well.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreThanQuinn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I once heard in a Chris Thilie video where he said he found it odd at a classical performance that the audience doesn't cheer or whoop it up at the end of a piece that the symphony just nailed.
    I agree with his thoughts.
    when classical was all the rage they did... Even in the middle of a piece. It wasn't until the late 19th/ early 20th centuries that audiences started to be "hushed" and it really wasn't until after WW1 that it was nearly universal.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bad Monkey For This Useful Post:

In all my performances, I try to maximize audience involvement and participation. I do lots of songs with sing-able choruses, and even teach them to get audience members singing along. If audience members are moved to express their appreciation of any part of the performance, I surely won't try to stifle that feeling.

I've been to so many shows where the audience will applaud a particularly proficient instrumental "break," even if it partially obscures the next few measures of a song or tune. If I get applause for one of my solos (doesn't happen often, so it's even more appreciated!), I leave a little hiatus in the song, and acknowledge it -- maybe tip my hat, which is one reason i almost always wear one. Of course, it usually remains un-tipped, but that's show biz.

I have heard rhythmic audience clapping along with fast instrumentals, that actually disrupted their performance; non-musician audience "clappers" have a tendency to speed up the rhythm, which isn't a good thing. But I think asking for "respect" from audiences, rather than involvement and participation, may be the wrong emphasis. If an audience of mine sits in "respectful" silence, I may feel I'm just not reaching them.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I just wish they'd stop throwing articles of clothing at me while I play. It's distracting plus I'm happy with my wardrobe as it is, lol!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

Actually, I love it when the audience gets excited about our music!

Next, you're gonna tell me you don't like it when fat drunk guys take off their shirts in front of the stage and do the "funky chicken!" You know, falling down and knocking stuff over, bumping into people, especially on hot, sweaty days....

NOW THE ONE THING I CANNOT TOLERATE, and as a musician you have no control over it, is when I'm onstage performing and a small child walks up to the front of the stage and starts dancing and looking cute and the crowd goes crazy applauding and cheering (the child, not me!) anyway, I'm not onstage to provide background music for somebody's home video. It is a futile and hopeless situation, because you can't be mad at the kid and you certainly can't say anything or you will be publicly crucified, so you just have to smile and take it, like it doesn't bother me. And, unfortunately, this has happened more than once over the years. Nobody can compete with a cute kid. Well, maybe two dogs being romantic at the front of the stage -- but fortunately that hasn't ever happened to me......................yet!

For the record, I love kids, just not when they upstage my performance. Okay, you can start the hate mail now!

45. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Audience behavior is determined by the genre of music, the performer expectations, and venue conventions. Any and all of these are subject to varied mixes and, thusly, different audience behavior. An annual attendee at Grey Fox, I've seen audiences whoop it up and I've seen them quiet (though involved and attentive) as the grave. What is the music asking the audience to do? Lots of music (both classical and popular) used to ask audiences to dance but that is generally not possible anymore, so, what do people do with all that energy pouring out at them? Well, they gotta' bounce, they gotta' wiggle, they gotta' whoop. Lots of music (both classical and popular) asks an audience to listen up! to either the cleverness of the music itself or the pyrotechnics of the performer ... and then people, well, listen up! and wait until the end to get back to the people on stage. People will be people and a live event is a LIVE event, so, God bless 'em all! (An aside: Regarding classical performances, operas are constantly interrupted by whooping and vigorous applause during the course of a performance.

-- mandogio

47. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post: