Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: science behind a mandolin "opening up"

Default science behind a mandolin "opening up"

Lately I’ve been wondering what is actually happening when an instrument “opens up.”

I have now seen a few posts that refer to mandolins (or other acoustic instruments) “opening up” after they have been played for a while. I imagine this has something to do with the science of tone wood maturing over time, developing a new or different sound.

Does anyone know the science behind this? Why does wood sound different over time? What I am even more interested in, is how an instrument can not only change sound over time, but that this feature may be increased or sped up through playing. For example, if we take two identical mandolins, and play one incessantly and not play the other at all – will they sound different after a given length of time? I’m guessing some will say yes – but is there a reason for this?

I have a Vega 201 from 1920 that I have had for about six months and a Kentucky KM-805 from 2007 that I have had for about five years. It would be hard for me to definitively say if either of these mandolins sounds any different from the day I bought them.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Charlie

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Default Re: science behind a mandolin "opening up"

There have been quite a few threads on this in the past, and no definitive answer has been reached. Some have put their instruments in front of speakers and played loud music to vibrate the top, others have used devices that rest on the top and vibrate. some believe it works, some don't. Check some of the other threads using the search feature, and prepare for a wide variety of opinions.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Yeah, I don't know of anyone has actually been able to put a true scientific formula or method to what happens, but most seem to think that an instrument absolutely changes in volume and tone after it's been played for a while. Not just new instruments, but those that are older and have just been sitting unplayed for a period of months.

There is no science to back it up, that I know of, only anecdotes and speculation on what might be causing something that may or may not exist.
    I hope I'm wrong and there is some science that I don't know about and some evidence one way or the other...

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Blog Entries

I haven't seen any science (peer reviewed articles) on this. I've read many threads where an instrument is played a lot and then the tone or volume changes, always for the better. I have read threads where people have presented ideas on why this happens. Folks have also expressed that this phenomenon is transient, i.e., an instrument can fall back to sleep if you take the bridge off or change strings or leave it be for a while. I remain skeptical to the phenomenon but am not invested enough in it one way or the other to say it does or doesn't happen and people don't hear a difference. But as far as I know, there has been no large study to quantify how or if it happens.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Ah yes, a subject that people feel so strongly about they managed to get themselves locked out of the forum over it. Don't look for scientific proof, there isn't any but there are a whole lot of people that "know" it happens. I'm most impressed by the guy that will leave his instrument on the stand in front of his speakers and blast Black Sabbath at it for 3 weeks and then swears there is a difference. There might be but why put your family and neighbors through that? Buy the Tonerite. That might not do anything either (and then again it might) but it will only annoy your wallet if you can't hear a difference when it's done.

Here you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Formula.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	94434
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm most impressed by the guy that will leave his instrument on the stand in front of his speakers and blast Black Sabbath at it for 3 weeks and then swears there is a difference.
    Deffinately. The mandolin becomes evil.

Every mandolin is different. Some are naturally very open; others will open up gradually after forming trusted friendships; others require individual counseling and group therapy; and still others are incorrigibly introverted and never really express their true feelings.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Re: Coupling - in layman's terms.

This is from a previous post about coupling, and effect of the top and back working in harmony. I think this post also applies to this topic, and if not, it's just funny.

"As I am juvenile in my attitudes, I'm having a really tough time not commenting on COUPLING and LAYMAN.

There are many books on coupling and quite a few videos. Coupling works best when the top and back love and care for each other, and use the space between them to best advantage.

Phew. I feel better, and more relaxed. "

How this applies is that a mandolin is one glued together unit, and it MAY take some time for the woods of different density and stiffness to start working together and in harmony. It may also be that the player has to warm up!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Science would mean there is a Thesis paper written by someone who set up a reproducible test apparatus
    that any one else can perform , and compare results, and there has been a Peer review of their findings.

IDK about even any universities doing that sort of acoustic/ mechanical, analysis .. so back to Opinions.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

To me, my mandolin opening up is something to be enjoyed like a starry sky. I accept it for what it is. But, if I sit around and analyze it, it ruins the experience.

The Breedlove Quartz OF that I own now is the only mandolin that I have ever owned that I can say without a doubt that the sound changed greatly since I first bought it. It is a 2006 model and I bought it new. When I first played it I was impressed by the volume and remember thinking that it was a little on the bright side compared to what I normally like. Well, the brightness has tamed quite a bit and the instrument has developed a wonderful, warm tone and much deeper and fuller tone than when I first played it. I have some recordings that were made shortly after I bought it and it sounds totally different now. I had a Kentucky KM-850 that went through a similar change, only not as dramatic, and over a much longer period of time - nearly 20 years.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

this is the loudest mandolin I own.

Name:	216846_1022072955937_753_n.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	94444

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

11?

19. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I've had my new mandolin for ten months now, have played it every single day for an hour or more, and am delighted with the way it is opening up. Who'd have thought that the 'science' could apply equally to the molecules of carbon fiber and resin on my Mix A4?

Or is 'opening up' something to do with me becoming a better player?

ron

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    this is the loudest mandolin I own.

Name:	216846_1022072955937_753_n.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	94444

f-d
    Duuuuuude!

Don't fool yourself that a consensus of the scientific community on this matter will end the debate.

Just sayin'.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonZ For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueron View Post
    I've had my new mandolin for ten months now, have played it every single day for an hour or more, and am delighted with the way it is opening up. Who'd have thought that the 'science' could apply equally to the molecules of carbon fiber and resin on my Mix A4?

Or is 'opening up' something to do with me becoming a better player? ron
    Good point! I think most opening up is happening in the players ears not the mandolin. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    Don't fool yourself that a consensus of the scientific community on this matter will end the debate.
    Also, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

How about "shutting down" as a consequence of being played? Yo Yo Ma's cello, which is called the Davidof and is a Strad, can only be played for about 15 minutes before closing up and actually sounds worse after being played rather than better. You could look it up!

Heck, he oughta get him one of them big old amps and open the thing up for good.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think (no facts) that it takes time for a player's ear to get accustom to a new instrument. I think instruments may actually need to "wake up" after not being played for a spell. I think aged wood may harden or some other such effect may take place slowly over time.

I don't think much about the, "Played the snot out of it for 2 weeks and Bam" idea.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by chuckhorton View Post
    Does anyone know the science behind this?
    Yes.

I just use Adolf's Meat Tenderizer. Applied liberally, it opens them right up without all the waiting. And it brings out the natural flavors of the toughest mandolin. Works on violins too. I heard Itzhak Perlman uses it before each performance. Makes him a little hungry though. Doesnt work on banjo's. Use gasoline on those. Wait 30 seconds and then add a match.

31. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post: