Thread: Monroe's last concert used mandolin for sale..........well sorta

Default Monroe's last concert used mandolin for sale..........well sorta

No doubt the mystic of the Monroe power from the grave gives people who know something about him personally to tell the story and sometimes has the gooods to back the story up. This mandolin in ebay is worth of the description and actual newspaper article. A most entertaining story about the Father of Blugrass's final days on earth. So let's say there is no way this mandolin is worth $22,000. What you do you think it is worth considering Monroe did play it for a few songs with a make up band of guys that didn't seem to know a lot about bluegrass songs, especially Monroe songs. Tell me you thoughts on this and price you would try to sale it if you had it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/222649594256?ul_noapp=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222649594256?ul_noapp=true

Default Re: Monroe's last concert used mandolin for sale..........well so

We've discussed it some over in this thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...d-with-on-eBay

Complicating matters is the fact that even the seller, Jeff Pinkham, doesn't know who built the mandolin. He says it's a no-name he picked up in Corvallis, Oregon, in 1972.

But in 1972, how many luthiers were building F5s and not putting "The Gibson" in the headstock? Who'd have had the temerity to make something like this and not sign it at all? Couldn't be more than a handful of people capable of it at the time.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    But in 1972, how many luthiers were building F5s and not putting "The Gibson" in the headstock? Who'd have had the temerity to make something like this and not sign it at all? Couldn't be more than a handful of people capable of it at the time.
    I was thinking the same thing, being 1972 or possibly earlier if it was bought used in 1972. It does have a distinctive buffalo over the flower pot. Not sure who that might be. Could be a great sounding instrument.

I think a good refinishing job would really do it well...

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    I think a good refinishing job would really do it well...
    About then is when I'd find out that a young fella named Gilchrist had a prototype model called 'The Bison'.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to the value of signed instruments, in general. I did, however get a lump in my throat reading the article by Logan Neill. It could be that, a decade ago when my financial situation was different, I would have spent $22,000 just to have the memory of that night and that moment and Bill Monroe's momentary rebirth! Poignant! Thanks for posting that, Tom!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

When I think about Corvallis and mandolins I think about Dave Thormahlen, who built my octave mando:
    http://www.thorharp.com/pages/OtherGuitarMando.htm

I'm not saying Dave built this F5, but he might know who did.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'd be a bit careful about anything other than Monroe's original F5, of which no one else will ever own, minus the Nashville Country Music HoF. Kinda like, does anyone really care about Tony Rice's 3rd or 4th Santa Cruz Pro model? No, they really want his Martin D28.

Soooo... this one, naw. Don't care, to me, it's cool that Monroe played it, but it's really just another mando, dime a dozen.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    When I think about Corvallis and mandolins I think about Dave Thormahlen, who built my octave mando:
    http://www.thorharp.com/pages/OtherGuitarMando.htm

I'm not saying Dave built this F5, but he might know who did.
    I checked out Dave's website and he does have some similar animal peghead inlays on some of his instruments. I guess the first question would be since 1972 was 45 years ago and let's say he was 25 when he built it --that would make him 70 today at the very minimum -- is Dave about that age?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    I'd be a bit careful about anything other than Monroe's original F5, of which no one else will ever own, minus the Nashville Country Music HoF. Kinda like, does anyone really care about Tony Rice's 3rd or 4th Santa Cruz Pro model? No, they really want his Martin D28.

Soooo... this one, naw. Don't care, to me, it's cool that Monroe played it, but it's really just another mando, dime a dozen.
    Have to agree. If touching it would confer some of Bill Monroe's skills yes I'd pay $22K - but it won't so I won't either.

The built in 1972 part is very intriguing though.

Some members on this forum would know and could name the individuals who were making quality F-5 mandolins in 1972. Be interesting to see such a list if the cognoscenti would "put their heads together" and compose it?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I know three that were building mandolins in that time period, all three were in Pa at the time...Chris Warner, David Waltersdorf and a fellow in Red Lion whos name I cannot recall at this time, Randy Graham was playing one of his mandolins when the B.G Cardinals came to the Dc area, all build fine sounding bluegrass mandolin. my Waltersdorf was made in 1967 and it is #2....

Willie