Thread: Gibson? on eBay

Future Mandolinist

Default Gibson? on eBay

This one has me wondering:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-GIBSON...E/173757614848

The headstock looks right for a ~'70 F5, as is the case, but there's a lot that isn't '70 F5. The finish is wrong, and that 1-piece back looks too nice for anything Gibson was cranking out at that time. Also I didn't think they did block fretboard inlays in the 70's? Maybe it's a '70 F5 that had a new back and a substantial amount of rework done? No decent shot of the label, but it looks awfully 'aged'...

Default Re: Gibson? on eBay

Could have been a lump scroll someone cut out. Notice the difference in the riser block next to the "scroll"..It's nearly nonexistent. Pretty rough looking scroll ridge as well. Who knows..
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Teacher, repair person

Looks like a circa 1969 - 1970 Gibson F-5 to me.
    The head plate with script logo is typical of the '70's, while the block inlays are typical of the '60's.
    In other words, the fingerboard had been lying in the parts bin longer than the head plate when this instrument was built.
    Nothing very unusual about that.
    As a matter of fact, the instrument looks completely original except for a newer set of tuners and the pearl truss rod cover. This one probably left the factory with covered Kluson tuners. Gibson did still occasionally use nice wood into the '70's.

Were peghead scroll bindings that rough looking on Gibsons of that era?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scroll.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	174505

Teacher, repair person

A lot of things got sloppy on Gibson products in the late CMI years. They got sloppier when Norlin took them over at the end of 1969. Then they steadily got even worse.

6. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Blog Entries

That instrument has had serious good finish work, and if you look close you can see the remnants of a 20s Gibson Master Model label! So this may be an attempt at a forgery?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Norlin used a version of the Master Model label also. I had one on my work bench last year. That one had the fancy fingerboard inlay and was probably built around '72.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jan-31-2019 at 5:12pm.

Sumpin' tells me that that is not an original Gibson F-5...

11. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

Future Mandolinist

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post

They were about that bad on the '74 F12 I used to own, and the peghead wood grain was almost identical as well. Plus these were the years subject to 'binding rot' so some of that may be repair.

I'm pretty confident that this started life as a Gibson F-style mandolin of some sort, just can't tell exactly what all has been done. Has anyone ever seen a 1-piece back on a 70's Gibson?

13. The following members say thank you to JLeather for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    A lot of things got sloppy on Gibson products in the late CMI years. They got sloppier when Norlin took them over at the end of 1969. Then they steadily got even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeather View Post
    They were about that bad on the '74 F12 I used to own, and the peghead wood grain was almost identical as well. Plus these were the years subject to 'binding rot' so some of that may be repair.
    Thanks!

In my estimation it can't be a '70 Gibson. Look at Rickker's post in the Bad Gibson thread of a '69 F5. Then if you look at other 70's Gibsons they don't have the headblock riser with the ivoroid crosspiece.
    Nothing about this instrument looks like either the last of the pre-Norlin Kalamazoo mandolins or the post Norlin mandolins.

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm not certain that this is a Gibson of any era? Certainly not a '70s model? The points made in by Jim in post #11 are exactly right -- the 70s Gibson F-styles had the "straight slot" neck joint and no cross piece. See pics of a '72 F-12 I used to own attached. I think the bridge, tail piece and pick guard are wrong for a '70s model too. If anything this is could be a '60s model -- but when did the "fat head stock" which started in 1952 end? Was it mid-60s? Is this a late 60s F-5? Is the sunburst "wrong" for a '70s F-style? I'd ask for a better pic of those labels? Proceed with caution!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fullback.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	174575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullFront.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	174574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TunersBack.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	174576  

Name:	HeadStock.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	174577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackCloseBottom.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	174578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackCloseTop.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	174579  

Name:	FrontCloseTop.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	174580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontCloseMiddle.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	174581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontCloseBottom.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	174582  

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Looks like a circa 1969 - 1970 Gibson F-5 to me.
    The head plate with script logo is typical of the '70's, while the block inlays are typical of the '60's.
    In other words, the fingerboard had been lying in the parts bin longer than the head plate when this instrument was built.
    Nothing very unusual about that.
    As a matter of fact, the instrument looks completely original except for a newer set of tuners and the pearl truss rod cover. This one probably left the factory with covered Kluson tuners. Gibson did still occasionally use nice wood into the '70's.

This explanation is possible also IMHO - -a very late '60s/very early'70s hybrid. If the seller will respond get some good pics of the labels if you can. If it is signed by Ed Rendal (sp?) you might be OK.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Something is odd with the peghead overlay -- not a flower pot, but not exactly a fleur-de-lis, either -- at least not like the one Gibson usually uses......?

Blog Entries

The ebay Gibson is also single bound! Not like the 5 or 12 of that era? I would say that it is a reworked older Gibson, It well could be a 40's-50's that was redone? The binding reminds me of an F-7 type? or it is a copy from one of the guys back then, Randy Wood etc...The finish is just too nice IMHO for what Gibson was doing in those years, looks totally different more like a 30's 40's F-5 type finish! and a one piece back and a very nice quilted back? They did have the quilted backs back then, for sure in the 1940's? Also the tuners are worm over gear also used in the 40's-70's. This is either a reworked Gibson or one fine copy I think? This may have a great overall sound to it as I do think some work was put into it! I'd love to have it in my hands to really look at inside and out! Check any FON if it aint sanded off if a re graduation took place! 30's and 0's didn't have a MM label just the big Gibson Guarantee label. The MM label that is very faded almost looks like a Paganoni label he was using in the 70's? Its a MYSTERY but neat but I don't feel like buying it to try and figure it out! Maybe for a lot less $
    I asked them about this when it was on Reverb and they were supposed to get back with me because I asked about the label and refinish etc...but no response at all! Well they did say someone would contact me but this was 2 weeks ago so?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Something is odd with the peghead overlay -- not a flower pot, but not exactly a fleur-de-lis, either -- at least not like the one Gibson usually uses......?
    Which mandolin are you taking about? If you are referring to the images of the 1972 F-12 I posted (#12) that is what they used from '70 to '77?

The images I posted are from a Kalamazoo plant Gibson -- not any doubt in the world.
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

I just noticed that this is being sold by Sam Ash stores. So your risk in purchasing would be small IMO. First I think Sam Ash might have the expertise to look at a mandolin in hand and assure that it is a Gibson and 2) if you were unhappy they probably would take it back? You'd be out shipping.
    Bernie
    ____

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Says 30 day money back guarantee.
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

I'm jumping between theads, but in the "Bad Gibson" thread Rickker just posted a video of his '69 and I noticed the pickguard is screwed to the body instead of being pinned. This mandolin has that feature. And they both have the block inlayed fingerboard. Is it possible someone took a 60's F and re-worked the peghead?

Blog Entries

Its possible Jim but that thing had a refinish I'm betting on, its just too nice for that era IMHO? I may be wrong?

Oh, yeah, re-fin for sure. Did the 60's F-5's have the pointy heelcap?

Mandolin Production Head dhmando's Avatar

Judging from the binding and tailpiece, I think it may be a 50s or 60s F-12 conversion.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Which mandolin are you taking about? If you are referring to the images of the 1972 F-12 I posted (#12) that is what they used from '70 to '77?

The images I posted are from a Kalamazoo plant Gibson -- not any doubt in the world.
    Yep, I got the eBay mandolin confused with the pictures you posted. My mistake.

So following the "Bad Gibson" thread, there are still some puzzling things about this one.
    The block inlays and screwed down pickguard had me thinking 60's F5 with reworked peghead. But the Gibson's had a 3 piece neck and and rounded heel cap. So replaced back and neck? The front scroll binding looks better than the back. Weird one for sure.

could this be worth even close to the asking price, even if ll original??