Thread: Recommendations for Custom Tailpiece

Default Recommendations for Custom Tailpiece

I have a 1940's custom tenor guitar that had been modified and was missing the original tailpiece. Although I can find solutions that would work, they would be cosmetically incorrect to the original build. I have photos of similar guitar tailpieces by the same builder and would like to have one made in a similar style. I've made drawings for manufacture. I'm thinking nickel plated brass or similar. Can anyone recommend a luthier or metalworker that could make such a piece?

This is an example of the tailpiece on the guitars from the same period. Thanks to all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gugino-header.jpeg 
Views:	163 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	183535

Default Re: Recommendations for Custom Tailpiece

I don't know for sure but Harry Eibert might be able to craft something. He repaired a metal tailpiece on an old National mandolin for me many years ago and did an excellent job. His is in Syracuse, NY and his contact info/web presence is on Facebook here. His email is here.

I assume that your guitar is a tenor made by Carmelo Gugino of Buffalo, NY. That 6-string looks pretty cool and I love that that page has scans of a catalog from the period. Care to post some photos of your guitar?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, Thanks for the recommendation and since the guitar came from Rochester its fitting that a replacement could be made in NY. It is a Gugino which I am still in the process of bringing back to its original glory. It had been modified from a tenor to an octave mandolin but with such a narrow neck was not really suitable. I
    I've removed the banjo tuning pegs and have the materials to fill in the holes just haven't gotten there yet. A new bridge has made it very playable and it is a wonderfully resonate guitar. A temporary tailpiece is suitable for now but although I am not exactly sure what the original looked like I'm sure Carmelo would have made one similar to his guitars. Here are some photos.

Attachment 183614
    Attachment 183615
    Attachment 183616

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Jim, Thanks for the recommendation and since the guitar came from Rochester its fitting that a replacement could be made in NY. It is a Gugino which I am still in the process of bringing back to its original glory. It had been modified from a tenor to an octave mandolin but with such a narrow neck was not really suitable. I
    I've removed the banjo tuning pegs and have the materials to fill in the holes just haven't gotten there yet. A new bridge has made it very playable and it is a wonderfully resonate guitar. A temporary tailpiece is suitable for now but although I am not exactly sure what the original looked like I'm sure Carmelo would have made one similar to his guitars. Here are some photos.

Attachment 183614
    Attachment 183615
    Attachment 183616
    None of the photos showed up. Perhaps you didn't upload the files?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sorry about the misstep in uploading the photos and thank you for the reference. Harry is willing to make the tailpiece and do some other minor modifications we discussed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4434.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	924.2 KB 
ID:	183700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4435.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	707.8 KB 
ID:	183701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4436.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	529.4 KB 
ID:	183702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	652.3 KB 
ID:	183703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4432.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	556.1 KB 
ID:	183704

TLG: That is one cool guitar. I love the bulbous headstock.

Re: the Tailpiece — Do you see other screw holes for where the old tailpiece would have been? Otherwise, how do you know that the one on it right now is not original. It looks like a factory-made tailpiece but it is possible that he just used something that worked.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

FWIW, the tailpiece shown in post #5 is a generic catalog item from the time period, as used on many guitars and basses by Kay and Silvertone, probably many, many other brands. I would check eBay for a nice used one.

8. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    FWIW, the tailpiece shown in post #5 is a generic catalog item from the time period, as used on many guitars and basses by Kay and Silvertone, probably many, many other brands. I would check eBay for a nice used one.
    I agree and if there are no additional holes you can be fairly certain that it was the original tailpiece. In the meantime, does it play with that tailpiece?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Guys, sorry for the delay. The current tailpiece was one I had in my inventory that was previously on a Silvertone tenor that was beyond salvage. The instrument as purchased was modified into an octave and sported a mandolin tailpiece and 4 banjo tuners for the additional strings. As Gugino made all of the components of his instruments, and there are holes from a previous tailpiece that did not exactly line up, it is my assumption that a tailpiece of similar design to that on his guitars was on this tenor. I interpreted the design of a new tailpiece using a photo of the CG-20 Knee Grip guitar from an article I found online. Although the currently installed tailpiece works just fine, this tenor is a beautiful work of art and I would like to bring it back to its former glory.

That makes a lot of sense then. Post finished photos here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: