Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pava Mandolins: Are they as good as people say they are?

Default Re: Pava Mandolins: Are they as good as people say they are?

The earlier Pavas had one piece backs, and came in one "flavor", lacquer finish. These were much more like Collings MT2s, with adirondack tops. To my eyes and ears, they were more similar to an Ellis than the few I have played recently.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

2. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The earlier Pavas had one piece backs, and came in one "flavor", lacquer finish. These were much more like Collings MT2s, with adirondack tops. To my eyes and ears, they were more similar to an Ellis than the few I have played recently.
    I agree with your assessment. Mine has a one piece back. Where did yours sit? I think it was on consignment with the Music Emporium not long back.
    Nic Gellie

Yes, mine is on consignment at TME, along with some other instruments. I had the chance to acquire a once in a lifetime instrument recently, and these instruments are now just sitting in their cases. While they are all great instruments, someone should be enjoying them. As I am playing four or five times a week now, playing has taken a precedence over buying these days.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

"Pava Mandolins: Are they as good as people say they are?"

Yes.

I have only played one, at a festival, and it wasn't an A/B comparison with anything else, and I have not played an Ellis. But I was really really impressed.

I think maybe they have a public relations disadvantage in a way, being perceived by some as an "almost Ellis". No matter how good you are, you don't want to be an "almost" something else. It is unfortunate because they really are just really good mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I've had two. A one piece back 2014 satin that is darker/sweeter in tone than the 2 piece back 2015 model. The 2 piece back sounded more like a Collins MT imo. Bright and lively. Fit and finish on both were perfect. Both were set up with lo action so they play remarkably easy for those that prefer lo action.

I kept #69 2014 and judge all mandolins I play by it.

The Elis A5's I've played are close to the Pava in tone but with a little something extra. Maybe its the varnish finish? There is a significant price difference(double) between Ellis and Pava, so to say the Pava is close to the Ellis is no slight to the Pava. imo

I'll try to find some time to record sound clips of the Ellis and Pava and we can see if there is any discernible difference on my puny iphone recording device.

I will do a recording with my Collings MT and Pava. The two are not dissimilar in tone. I would also add that the Pava is not that dissimilar to a Collings MT2. I think that the Pava just has more clarity. Volume wise I would say the MT2 might be slightly ahead.

If the Pavas had a varnish finish they would have that extra Mojo. But still I am happy with the way mine is. I concur either above descriptions of their tonal characteristics.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

One important difference is that the Pava's are built using red maple (Acer rubrum), while most of the Ellis's (at least mine, and the others I have seen) employ sugar maple (Acer saccharum) these are different species, and the latter typically has a slightly higher density also. This alone would account for some consistent tonal differences (in addition to the fact that they are graduated by different people).
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Oct-08-2016 at 5:31pm.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Ok folks. These were recorded on my iphone, so grain of salt... You judge which you like more or if there are any major differences.

A.mp3
    B.mp3

Both have EXP75s that are about a week old and both were played with a TAD50. Pava has a tone guard on, Ellis does not, but I tried to hold it so that it wasn't touching my chest. I noticed a dead giveaway, but I'm not going to say what it is.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I had the chance to acquire a once in a lifetime instrument recently, and these instruments are now just sitting in their cases.
    I don't recall a NMD thread from you recently, Mary. Spill!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    One important difference is that the Pava's are built using red maple (Acer rubrum), while most of the Ellis's (at least mine, and the others I have seen) employ sugar maple (Acer saccharum) these are different species, and the latter typically has a slightly higher density also. This alone would account for some consistent tonal differences (in addition to the fact that they are graduated by different people).

According to Cathy at Ellis mandolins the early ones were sometimes made with Sugar Maple. Mine might be on of those.
    Nic Gellie

Nick, my Ellis is broad leaf which from what I think Tom said is less dense than the sugar maple. He offered me either, but not playing much grass, anymore, I opted for the broad leaf. I really like the sustain that my F5 provides. I have had no problems in any grass jam that I have been in, but then I play with a heavy right hand.
    Now to Pava. I was in Carter's the other day and played two Pava A models that he had. The Pavas I played were no doubt in the same family tree as all the Ellises that I have played. There just seems to be a common thread with all of them. Personally, I did not hear the Collins lineage that I am also familiar with. Again, that was only two Pavas and both were new. I have no knowledge of the earlier models. Tone and playability are just outstanding at that price point. So yes, there are as good as people say they are.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Tony, your insights into the different species of Ellis mandolins are spot on. I am pretty that Sugar Maple gives more projection and Broad Leafed Maple gives more depth and sustain. I am now pretty sure mine was made with a Sugar Leaf Maple and hence the brighter tone. There is a difference between my Collings MT and Pava - the Collings MT with its Englemann Spruce top had more depth and perhaps more overtones and is a tad darker in tone than my Pava. As mine is an early model it cannot be said that it is typical of the newer instruments being made. A mandolin maker has every right to tweak or change things after getting feedback to improve the tonal quality or response of of his or her instruments.
    Nic Gellie