Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless Steel Strings

Somewhere south of Denver and north of Pueblo

Default Re: Stainless Steel Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Splitting sets? What is that advantage? Find the set that you like, and PLAY MUSIC! Quit whining about a set that ONly lasts three months! Sheesh.
    Strings are cheap, c’mon. Really!?
    Let’s assess this together, putting two split sets every course. One metal gives one set of frequency responses, the next gives another set. For instance, the frequency response of a monel and PB string on the same course will give an overall wider frequency response, embodying the best of each metals. Now the volume of the “notched” response for each course is reduced by half for each individual string, but the resulting overtones from two different metals ends up a synergistic effect, the overtones produced by the “clashing” notches multiplying the sonic factor of each course. On the other hand, if it does no harm, why worry either way?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Romansky View Post
    On the other hand, if it does no harm, why worry either way?
    What?? Me worry? Not a chance.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I understood it in the first place but it was presented as some type of advantage.
    It’s only an advantage to those who play enough to change strings frequently, or to those who are willing to invest an extra $15 to explore a wider sonic response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Romansky View Post
    It’s only an advantage to those who play enough to change strings frequently, or to those who are willing to invest an extra $15 to explore a wider sonic response.
    Combining (actually splitting) two sets to make one set still results in two, and two sets of strings doesn't require any extra outlay. What's the "extra $15.00" investment, Bill? Did I miss something?

6. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

sblock 

Just an observation to calm the nerves of a nervous musician.

Mapes using a Stainless steel for the core wire and plain strings , or just wound with stainless round wire?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Based on the coloration, they appear to be all stainless but that speculation on my part.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I emailed Mapes and the reply only said that the plain strings are tin coated. They gave me no other info. I wouldn't think that they would need to tin coat stainless steel plain strings, but I don't know.

Addendum: I just sent another message requesting clarification. Will report.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I emailed Mapes and the reply only said that the plain strings are tin coated. They gave me no other info. I wouldn't think that they would need to tin coat stainless steel plain strings, but I don't know.

Addendum: I just sent another message requesting clarification. Will report.
    Like I said earlier, there are varying qualities of stainless steel. The Mapes strings are darker in color than most other strings and this might have something to do with the alloy. I'm not a metallurgist but I did play one on TV. Or not.
    David Hopkins

12. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I read on a guitar centered web site discussion that Mapes is by far the largest maker of music wire in the country, and that most string manufacturers buy their wire from Mapes. Thus, in a way, most of us use Mapes strings no matter what brand they are. Anyone know if that’s true? In other words, does, for example, D’Addario manufacture their own wire, or do they just buy Mapes wire to make their strings?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

I understand D'Addario winds their own, but may buy plain wire stock from Mapes. I'll say I measured a significant difference in core wire size between DaD and Mapes, specifically the .047 phosphor-bronze string which had a thicker core for the Mapes, by a few thousandths. I think it was .016 for Dad and .021 for Mapes.

All metal strings use plain steel for the core and the unwound strings, with some variation in plating, such as gold or silver plating on some violin E strings, brass on some core wire, tin per Mapes (corrosion resistance I presume).

That's my understanding of the situation.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

15. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Question Re: Stainless Steel Strings

I would have thought that *mild steel would be used for core and plain strings, which do corrode/oxidize. I imagine that drawing stainless steel wire would be rather tough to do, too.

*Awaiting the inevitable correction posts to come from some mfr. spokespoysen who actually knows this stuff!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Okay. Just heard from Sonja at Mapes.

The important part of her message is "....the core wire, or unwound string, is tin coated. That core wire is then wrapped with the alloy of choice. " (e.g. stainless steel, Phosphor Bronze, etc.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

18. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Okay. Just heard from Sonja at Mapes.

The important part of her message is "....the core wire, or unwound string, is tin coated. That core wire is then wrapped with the alloy of choice. " (e.g. stainless steel, Phosphor Bronze, etc.)

OK. Thanks, Philphool and Sonja!

That means that the unwound strings are tin coated. And under that plating, the strings are very likely to be mild steel, not stainless steel -- the same for all types of sets. And it really doesn't matter what the core is from a corrosion perspective, given that it's tin-plated. It might matter from a sonic perspective. The slightly duller and darker color reported by others for the A and E strings of the Mapes "stainless" sets reflects their tin coating. "Stainless steel" strings, therefore, applies only to the windings found around the D and G strings, and says nothing at all about the A and E strings. It is good to get some ground truth on this point from an authority on the subject, once and for all!
    Last edited by sblock; Sep-28-2018 at 12:08pm.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Interesting!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett