Thread: Obscure Tony Rice tabs. No mando content.

Default Obscure Tony Rice tabs. No mando content.

I'm posting this here because many of us play guitar in addition to mando. And the fact that Tony's work reaches beyond just guitar, influencing other musicians no matter what instrument they play. And finally, because I feel that the work and hours I put into this shouldn't be lost with time. Tony is timeless, and so was his music.

Many years ago, I played TR style guitar and devoted every hour of my free time precisely deciphering Tony's playing. I began to gather such a sense of his style that I knew exactly where his fingers were on the fingerboard just by listening to the timbre of his instrument. Eventually I began to put my many hours of work into digital format and write a short summary of Tony's solos, how it fit into the song, and perhaps, why Tony was doing what he was doing.

I focused on music that I couldn't find anywhere else in tablature format. At some point, the tabs garnered the attention of someone close to Tony. My tab page was then linked by TonyRice.com. And at some point, Pamela Rice used the resource to teach her grandkids some of Tony's music. Tony even supposedly stated that the tabs seemed pretty accurate.

So, I say all that to say this. I don't want my work to be lost. It is still hosted on the original website. At some point it had gone down and most of the work was gone. I don't recall how or why it has returned, but alas most of it is there, although the midis no longer work.

I still have all the original tabs and then some if anyone would like them. I'm not a website designer so I don't recall how to update it any more. I don't even have the original login details.

Again this is nearly all my work, representing hours and hours of obsession.

Enjoy.

http://www.flatpick-l.org/tonytab/

ps. After perusing the tunes I realize some of the midi's do work, and some of the tabs are gone. I have all of these, and then some. If anyone is willing to update the site or make new one, I'd gladly send the entire lot your way.
    Last edited by fscotte; Dec-02-2019 at 3:37pm.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Obscure Tony Rice tabs. No mando content.

Wow, thanks! What a great resource. It's been a long while since I've posted on Flatpick-L. I wonder if I've still got my hat. I still get the digest.

Edit: Cool to see "Streets of London" on there. I've been fooling with learning to sing that. Delighted to have that tab.

I wanna thank you very kindly! Just great! Will keep me busy for a while.

Years ago I too embarked upon a similar path as you, studying Tony for countless hours and arriving at a place where I began to unlock the pieces of his vocabulary and could begin to identify by ear the specific strings and regions of the fretboard that he was utilizing in a given passage. I'm certain that I referenced your work from time to time as the site looks familiar to me. Many thanks for archiving and sharing a fantastic resource!
    *¯`•.☽☆☾¸.•´¯*

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    Wow, thanks! What a great resource. It's been a long while since I've posted on Flatpick-L. I wonder if I've still got my hat. I still get the digest.

Edit: Cool to see "Streets of London" on there. I've been fooling with learning to sing that. Delighted to have that tab.
    Thanks! I had to check that tab, and it appears for some reason there are rests that are missing in the tab. And that seems to be something the tab builder did at that time, left out rests and just created empty spaces, but the notes align properly. If you listen to the tune and look at the tab, you should be able to figure out where those rests are. One of my favorite Tony solos.
    Last edited by fscotte; Dec-02-2019 at 4:50pm.

7. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

This is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Agree with all of the above. Thanks so much, life changing player for many of us.

Thanks for sharing the work on T's solos . . . I'd love to find a resource like this on his rhythm playing, especially the open voiced chords he seemed to favor.
    Clark Beavans

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Thanks …… R /
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Again this is nearly all my work, representing hours and hours of obsession.

Enjoy.

http://www.flatpick-l.org/tonytab/

ps. After perusing the tunes I realize some of the midi's do work, and some of the tabs are gone. I have all of these, and then some. If anyone is willing to update the site or make new one, I'd gladly send the entire lot your way.

Thanks I have used your TABS in the past. Tony is the best.

Tipper and Slipstream, two of the finest flatpicking solos.

fscotte, i just sent you a PMessage.

The link destination appears to have disappeared into the ether. Does anyone know of an alternative location for the tabs?