Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Does Bruce Weber Have Planned?

Default Re: What Does Bruce Weber Have Planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    I suppose that means he sold (or lost) his wood stash as well??
    I helped Bruce acquire a huge accumulation of old tonewood about 15 years ago or so, and it was an impressive pile...
    Hope they were able to hang on to some of that stash for future builds...
    I got that wood in my mando, super nice, thanks for facilitating Spruce!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Then Fender went on to design instruments for Music Man, then found G&L with George Fullerton (the "G" of "G&L"; Fender was the "L" of course) and Dale Hyatt. Couldn't call any of 'em "Fender," of course. Fender-designed Stingray basses by Music Man were a real hot item 30 or so years ago; supposedly played rings around the Fender basses. Not being an electric bass player, I wouldn't know.

If Weber still has a warranty-servicing arrangement with Two Old Hippies, wonder how likely it is he'll go into direct competition with them? Might make things a bit uncomfortable.

We all seem to be speculating that he'll want to start offering a full line of mandolins very like Webers. If he wanted to do that, why leave Weber in the first place?
    When I was at his shop, a few months ago, he had templates for the full range of Fs.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

3. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    We all seem to be speculating that he'll want to start offering a full line of mandolins very like Webers. If he wanted to do that, why leave Weber in the first place?
    I'm sure there's an interesting story behind all this, that we may not ever hear about.

Anyway, I can't imagine the new production to be anything too far from a traditional Gibson/Weber template. Maybe a sweet pea or Sage OM, but probably traditional designs for the main lineup. Breedlove didn't get very far with a non-traditional body shape at the lower end, or Giacomel at the high end. It's a deeply conservative market, at least in the "American mandolin" segment.

5. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    Well, let's see....your company gets bought for multi millions, and then you get to go start a brand new mandolin company to improve upon what you just got millions for....and have the Mando community eagerly awaiting your next move....Sign me up for that.

But, if you're saying that if he just wanted to make Weber copies, no reason to come out of retirement for that, then I agree.
    Multi-millions? You're kidding, right? I don't think the terms "multi-millions" and "mandolins" have ever been used in the same sentence before.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Multi-millions? You're kidding, right? I don't think the terms "multi-millions" and "mandolins" have ever been used in the same sentence before.
    Yeah, probably right.....too much time in the corporate world.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Well, I went to the site to check what the countdown was....can’t find the counter anywhere. Regardless, looks like there are a few new pics. Has anyone heard more about the product line that we will (hopefully) see in 4-5 months? Total guess on the timing...,but I can’t wait!
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    Well, I went to the site to check what the countdown was....can’t find the counter anywhere. Regardless, looks like there are a few new pics. Has anyone heard more about the product line that we will (hopefully) see in 4-5 months? Total guess on the timing...,but I can’t wait!
    Still counting downhttps://www.montanalutherie.com/webe...therie-future/
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

He has my Dream Mando in the classifieds

I looked at that mando - that is a beautiful piece of work!

Less than 6 days left on the timer...
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Rangers are replacing the Sweet Peas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28001342_1394268364035526_210336616_n.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	165312
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Bruce and I will be picking out the woods for my new mandolin in a couple of weeks.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Hoping to get my repair in before he's too swept up in the new ventures!

garded

Personally I hope he writes a book of all his adventures. He probably won't because of he seems like one of those guys who would think the whole thing would be like taddlin or something. But he wouldn't be the first craftsman just doing what he loves and it all gets too big and noticeable and he loses his dream of doing what he loves. What with these contracts of non compete and non disclosure and who knows what else there are a lot of stories that never get out. From the bleachers us arm chair quarterbacks seldom make sense of it. I am surprised and glad he's back out in the wild again.

Well, his no compete clause is up and he is free to build again. Now he can get started on my two point. Can't wait until I can pick her up.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Anyone know what a B2 model is? It will be interesting to see what they come up with and how close to Weber designs they are. George, any inside info you can share?

I was at he shop a couple of weeks ago and asked Bruce what the mandolins would be called, he didn't have anything at that time. From what Mary said the B2 line will be a standard line and the 'The Bruce' will be custom line. I will be talking with him later this week and discussing my upcoming build and I will get the lowdown on the lines. Will report back.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

It would be tempting for me to have “The Bruce” on my headstock. B2 also works well since my last name also starts with the letter B.

Thanks,
    bruce

26. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

All you need to do is call him and place an order.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    All you need to do is call him and place an order.
    Just got off the phone with Bruce Weber, and as in every contact I have had with him over many years, it was uplifting! I knew it was coming sometime soon, but it has finally been officially launched. Bruce Weber is building custom instruments again!!!

I have a herd of great custom instruments he has built for me in the past, 2 Fern Mandolins (each very different woods), and Elite Mandolin, a 10 Sting F Yellowstone adirondack top Mandola, a Bandit resonator Guitar, a Bighorn Octave Mandolin, and a Soprano Mandolin. Each one is amazing on it's own, but hearing them played together when I perform in 'Cordas Ecletica' with Kent Brauninger (of the KC Symphony), is like sibling harmonies. Very special interaction!

I am SO excited to see him start building again on his own! I asked him to put me in line for one, 'cause this guy really builds great instruments!

Bruce Graybill
    www.BruceGraybill.com

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MandoChamp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Perhaps he wants to spend his time building mandolins instead of spending most of it on the details of running a business.
    A thoughtful response. Having spent a great deal of time with Bruce over the years, I can tell you that building and creating is far more rewarding for him that doing the day to day administration of running a large business! It really doesn't get talked about much, but in the last few years before Bruce sold STE to Tom Bedell (Two Old Hippies), the number of Mandolin family instruments he build and sold exceeded the numbers at Gibson! He has literally cut an instrument in half that he didn't deem the quality he was willing to sell and represent his work! Bruce has always loved the creative designing and building aspects of the musical instruments business. He did the administration and management functions very well also, as evidenced by Gibson not only gobbling up Flatiron (which he managed and designed for), but later handing him the Flat Top Guitar division to run as well as the Mandolin division he designed an ran for nearly 10 years. I remember skype-ing with him when he and Mary were at the ranch in the hills of eastern Montana. It was like his retreat from the grind of the business. He showed me his little workbench in the cabin where he built two of my Mandolins. Mary sent me a pic of him at that bench working on the custom Elite Mandolin we had hammered out the specs on together when I spent a week with them in Montana. I wanted something more non-traditional, so we selected some maple (tree cut in mid 60s) for a one piece back, Port Orford Cedar for the top (tree cut in 1952), herringbone binding, bound F holes and a Koa pick guard, armrest and headstock overlay. Tongue oil finish on the neck and lacquer on the body. Feels like playing bare wood! Can't wait to see and play the new Mandolins he will build!

Bruce Graybill
    www.BruceGraybill.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008buidling4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	165526

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoChamp For This Useful Post:

Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of some of the prices Bruce charges? I'm only curious. I'm sure they're out of my price range at this point.

I played one of his instruments at Dusty Strings and it was by far my favorite of the 10+ mandos I tried out that day.

Mary will be add posts to their website on prices and build time. Give him or Mary a call and let them tell you. He is building a two point for me, but I am not at liberty to discuss the cost.

2B or not 2B, that is the question...