Thread: NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

Default NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

Hey all, just got this fella in today, and lemme just say, I finally get it. I see why you guys love mandos so dang much! (Lengthy word salad follows this, you don't need to read if you don't want.)

For the ten or so years I played guitar, I did not understand why people loved mandolin so much. I was ignorant, and mostly thought 'most of the sounds they get, I can probably get with my guitar capoed up' or 'man those look uncomfortable to play!'. I was misguided, both by myself and by simply not enough exposure to mandolin. When I first found Irish Trad music, the stirrings of 'hey, mandolins sounds awesome and I need to have one (or several)' started in my head, and so I bought a bouzouki. But that did not scratch the itch. So, after both posting on here, and doing copious amounts of research and thinking, I acquired this 1935 Martin A-style mando, and HOLYY COWW it's like something inside me has been freed! My fingers feel at home more on the mando than they do on guitar, and the tight, punchy sound of the notes is just heavenly! How could I have been so foolish and so self-decieved?! As an aside, the action is great, frets are too, no structural issues, etc etc. The pictures attached are from the Reverb sale, as I do not currently have a camera. I hope you all will forgive the super-long rambling; it really feels like a new musical chapter has begun, and I owe a good deal of it to you fellas at this forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	akwg4jbpulsitrootbdd.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	187906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsvqk4r5ff2nv1gt8pz7.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	187907  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IrishPicker10 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

That's great, that you have a new love that has been fully requited! That looks like a great mandolin and I hope you can immerse yourself in mandolin playing and mandolin driven music to further nourish this love.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Those little mahogany Martin mandolins are underrated gems, IMHO. I have a 1919 Style A and, while it's not a bluegrass "cannon," it's a sweet-sounding, easy-to-play instrument. Vintage Martin A's are usually quite affordable, and in my experience, uniformly well-made and excellent for Celtic, folk, classical and similar genres.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I have a 1950 Martin A mandolin that I purchased back in 1979. It's a peach, but you might want to do yourself (but not your wallet) a favor and check out a Collings MT mandolin. They are louder, more articulate, and easier to play than my Martin. They also hold their resale value very well, so if you purchase one used it's likely you'll be able to sell it at or near your purchase price if it doesn't work for you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billykatzz For This Useful Post:

Congrats! I think you made a great choice and there’s no need to start shopping around. I enjoyed reading about your lightbulb moment and although I don’t have a 1919, I absolutely agree with AllenH.
    Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Those little mahogany Martin mandolins are underrated gems, IMHO. I have a 1919 Style A and, while it's not a bluegrass "cannon," it's a sweet-sounding, easy-to-play instrument. Vintage Martin A's are usually quite affordable, and in my experience, uniformly well-made and excellent for Celtic, folk, classical and similar genres.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 2E For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    That's great, that you have a new love that has been fully requited! That looks like a great mandolin and I hope you can immerse yourself in mandolin playing and mandolin driven music to further nourish this love.
    Nick, I plan to! Many days of pickin' are ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Yes, Allen, all the reasons you listed are why I got mine! As I do not plan to play any BG, I think mine will suit me just fine! Condition is fantastic, now if I just could find a case for it, lol! Apparently some guys just get a regular A style case and put a microfiber rag in there to get it snug, do you know of anything I could try?

13. The following members say thank you to IrishPicker10 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by billykatzz View Post
    I have a 1950 Martin A mandolin that I purchased back in 1979. It's a peach, but you might want to do yourself (but not your wallet) a favor and check out a Collings MT mandolin. They are louder, more articulate, and easier to play than my Martin. They also hold their resale value very well, so if you purchase one used it's likely you'll be able to sell it at or near your purchase price if it doesn't work for you.
    i looked at The Collings', and while I appreciate the craftmanship of them, I do prefer the older, mellower, oval-hole tone, compared to the more.. modern voicing of the Collings and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    Congrats! I think you made a great choice and there’s no need to start shopping around. I enjoyed reading about your lightbulb moment and although I don’t have a 1919, I absolutely agree with AllenH.
    Yes, Steve, I feel the same way! I feel great about it!! And yeah, I wish I'd found Mando before guitar, it's very neat so far, and scales make much more sense to me on one than they did on guitar. Arrogance really hurt me from experiencing this sooner, and I do hate to say that.