Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago July 3-5 The Dead anyone going

Default Re: Chicago July 3-5 The Dead anyone going

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Byers View Post
    That happened at Deer Creek about a week before the final shows at Soldier Field. I was at both and the fence coming down at Deer Creek was flat out nuts. They cancelled the second show at Deer Creek and the mood the next day was indeed very somber. There were no crowd issues at Soldier Field.
    The band has stated they chose Soldier Field for these shows because of its central location to allow for ease of travel for the highest numbers of fans. And I do believe this is the first and last time the Core Four will play together since Jerry's passing. In all of the other post-Dead incarnations it was usually Bill K that was absent. Rumors abound about their inability to get along these days, so putting together this run is no small feat. And the choice of Trey for the lead guitar slot is a direct result of them not wanting a Jerry clone, and Phil's deep respect of Trey as a musician. Bill has been quite outspoken about his disdain for Jerry clones, and his dislike of Dark Star Orchestra in particular.
    I really wish I could make it to Chicago for the run, but the cost of tickets, travel, and lodging are well beyond my means. I'll be watching the high-def stream from the comfort of my home. Yeah, it's not the same, but I'll take what I can get. It's going to be a helluva party and three fantastic nights of music. Those guys can still play better than anyone.
    Hey Brett, thanks for correcting me on Deer Creek. It wasn't my intention to mislead, it's just been twenty years and my brain doesn't file and sort like it used to.

I liked what you said about them not wanting to get a Jerry clone and about Bill's dislike for DSO. Trey's my favorite living guitarist and I'm sure he'll do a great job. I saw him and Mike Gordon do Phil and Phriends at the Warfield back in '99 I believe...I had to usher the first show as I didn't have a ticket.

Thanks again, fellow Deadhead! Did you see the promo video on the Dead50 site with Trixie Garcia? I totally see Jerry in her! The eyes, the sparkling personality, what a treat to see her!

Robert- you're a lucky man for havin attended those shows at the Warfield with Trey, Page and Kimock. They are widely considered to be the best shows yet of the post-Garcia era. For anyone who is skeptical of Trey as the choice for the upcoming shows I would highly recommend you check out those Phil and Friends shows from the Warfield. They are smokin!
    I have seen the promo video with Trixie, and there is no doubt who her father is! The resemblance is striking on many levels.

That happened at Deer Creek about a week before the final shows at Soldier Field.

Keller William's tribute to that show is always a crowd pleaser among a certain crowd.

(Video removed as it's pretty vulgar- forgot about that when I posted it)

I never got to see the Dead-- I was 15 when Jerry died, but I vividly remember learning about it (as a little grunge kid) on MTV's news. They played a clip of Touch of Grey, and I was confused. The name "Grateful Dead" always made me think they were a metal band like "Megadeth" or "Anthrax."

When I heard them, I was really pleasantly surprised. I guess it took me another 2 or 3 years to start to get into them, but I started trading tapes by the mid 90s and had a pretty good collection. I missed out on ever seeing them live, but I've seen each of the members' (except Kreutzman) solo projects. I've been a Phishhead since the mid-90s, so it might push me over the edge to head to Chicago that Trey'll be there.
    Last edited by KEB; Jan-23-2015 at 2:09pm. Reason: Forgot the vulgarity in the song

Blog Entries

That happened at Deer Creek about a week before the final shows at Soldier Field. I was at both and the fence coming down at Deer Creek was flat out nuts.
    I was at both as well.

During when the back wall was coming down and people were coming in, it was like a wave of fear/panic pheromones flooded across the lawn as the new people came in and we wondered what would happen. Then they yelled at us with Desolation Row.

The Fire On the Mountain in the second set took quite a dark turn [and ended up on Victim] after that long stream of 60+ squads came down the freeway headed for the lots.

Not the fun summer Fourth of July weekend I had hoped for, especially as the show on the 4th cancelled. I only ended up at the show the following weekend as my cousin got married in Chicago the night before and I had a dozen t-shirts left to sell. My brother dropped me off at the lot in the morning, sold the shirts, found ticket and ride home ... and saw the very last show. Was nice to have one last good experience as it all ended there.
    ----

As for these new shows, I'm hoping to make the first one. I was at that final Soldier Field show and am a fan of Trey/Phish so it sure would be fun. Would be nice to be `in the room' for one night and hear the beautiful cheer when they hit the stage.

That said, I'm quite certain there will be a live stream of the shows and I plan to watch the final two nights from home on the HDTV listening over the stereo. I've done that for Phish and combined with a lovely dinner with friends and a great bottle of wine it's one heck of a way to spend the evening.

I won't be actual Grateful Dead music [requires Jerry], but I have no doubt this combination of talent can play some great shows. I'm going to do my best to enjoy the music and have fun with it, why not?
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Robert- you're a lucky man for havin attended those shows at the Warfield with Trey, Page and Kimock. They are widely considered to be the best shows yet of the post-Garcia era. For anyone who is skeptical of Trey as the choice for the upcoming shows I would highly recommend you check out those Phil and Friends shows from the Warfield. They are smokin!
    I have seen the promo video with Trixie, and there is no doubt who her father is! The resemblance is striking on many levels.
    Jesus, my memory sucks...Gordon didn't play after all but I did run into him on the balcony and remember thinking how short he was (no offense!)...definitely remember the killer Viola Lee Blues.

I got shut out of the other two shows because another "friend" caught onto my usher gig and snuck in with all of us ushers as if to work but then he hid in the bathroom until showtime. My usher boss friend got pissed and it cost me the next two nights....took me ten years to forgive that guy.

I will be there. It will be quite the weekend.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

I'll be watching the high-def stream from the comfort of my home. Yeah, it's not the same, but I'll take what I can get.
    Have they announced a stream? There is a chance I may go, but as you say it will be costly. Staying at home and having a party is sounding better and better.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

I havent heard anything about a stream but I would say it's likely. Theyll pry announce it after tix sell out in 30 seconds and it will hopefully ease some of the butthurt. My old man has an apartment on Lake Shore Drive that I will happily occupy for that weekend.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

And I do believe this is the first and last time the Core Four will play together since Jerry's passing. In all of the other post-Dead incarnations it was usually Bill K that was absent.
    I fully believe this is the last time the core four will play together, but the core 4 (including Billy) have done 4 tours together since Jerry's passing.

2002 as The Other Ones with Jimmy Herring, Rob Barraco, Jeff Chimenti
    2003 as The Dead with Herring, Barraco, Chimenti
    2004 as The Dead with Warren Haynes, Herring, Chimenti
    2009 as The Dead with Haynes, Chimenti (plus 1 show in 2008)

See: http://otherones.net/too/band

I stand corrected! And I should have known better, considering I saw quite a few shows on those tours over the years. Yikes! For some reason my mind had blocked out Billy's participation. I always preferred Jimmy Herring in the post-Jerry guitar slot. There were some really good shows on those tours. I suspect the final run in Chicago will be stellar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    I fully believe this is the last time the core four will play together, but the core 4 (including Billy) have done 4 tours together since Jerry's passing.

2002 as The Other Ones with Jimmy Herring, Rob Barraco, Jeff Chimenti
    2003 as The Dead with Herring, Barraco, Chimenti
    2004 as The Dead with Warren Haynes, Herring, Chimenti
    2009 as The Dead with Haynes, Chimenti (plus 1 show in 2008)

See: http://otherones.net/too/band
    I would like to see Warren and Jimmy sit in for a song or two. Its hard to believe that they wouldn't be there as just fans. Even bring in Branford Marsalis of a few songs.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...erson+starship

Don't want to compare the two bands, but this account of Grisman playing with Jefferson Starship in a loud rock context not so long ago is quite interesting.
    David A. Gordon

13. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to let people know, Bob Weir is going to be on The Late Late Show tonight (CBS after Letterman), with John Mayer hosting.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Searching for the Sound

I was at the last two shows in Chicago in '95 ... so I'm really hoping to make July 4 and 5 to round out the karma thing. I was somewhat surprised by Trey being included, but since I've become a big Phish fan, I'm good. Not sure two keyboards are needed, as the sound got too dense (IMHO) when Vince and Hornsby were there together. But, I quibble....

I have a few friends here who got 'rejection letters' on Friday (Feb 6), and I've not gotten none yet, so there's hope.

I saw DarkStar Orchestra for the first time this past Saturday night and cover band or not, they can really play. I did find that they brought their own style to the jams and while true to to Dead, the playing was still fresh and different, and they held my interest from start to finish. A lot of energy to their playing. I was exhausted the next day ... getting too old I think. Notably, it was a mature crowd and I wasn't close to being the oldest (I don't think?) !!!!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    Looks like i won't be going either. But i did get to see them a lot with Jerry. Would have loved to see Jerry with Grisman. I have seen David a lot of times.
    Have you ever seen this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dawg
    If not, lemme know and I'll send you my VHS copy. Well worth the watch!

I'm not really interested in the Reunion though. I know it'd be a super fun time to do it all again with all my friends, but if I'm not into the show then what's the point? But since it's supposed to be all about the music, then I don't think I'm missing anything anyway because I've been less than impressed with just about everything post-Jerry. [soulless ginger comments withheld] I did see a really nice Furthur show 2 summers ago at Meadowbrook, and am happy going out on a good note.

I do hope everybody that goes has an awesome time and that it's a fantastic experience for the band, fans and the people of Chicago.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Interesting article about the Dead's mail order ticket service for the concerts in the WSJ. bb

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-grat...p_EditorsPicks

Blog Entries

not the same since Jerry.

Searching for the Sound

Not the same since Jerry... sure ... but there's still the feeling.

My wife had her order returned yesterday .... so it all comes down to my order being filled...

Anyone got notification that they are IN? I've heard quite of few instances of not getting orders filled...
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Blog Entries

I believe all the tickets will be sent at the same time or very close to it, mtm.

Given they have to be back by a week from Friday [to beat Ticketmaster] and they started giving interviews last week about ticketing [the sort of thing you only do when you see the light at the end of the tunnel], I expect to start hearing a lot online later this week or at very least over the weekend.

The only returns I have heard of were a week ago, maybe the beginning of the flood has started. As you're in Milwaukee, we should hear around the same time.

Good luck to everyone in for tickets!
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Picker & Grinner Peachy Fingers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    I was a serious Head for quite some time. I saw 200+ shows from 1985-1993, JGB and related. The memories and non-memories are cherished beyond measure.

However, I do not like stadiums, Chicago Summers can be Hot and humid, hot and wet, and 60K+ people plus the hassles just doesn't sound like fun. I can see Phil Lesh at TXR very easily in an intimate setting. If I go, I'd be for Hornsby oddy enough.

For me? No. For others? Have a blast!
    Correctamundo! I think the Phil & Friends shows tend to be more intimate and have more of a "family" vibe with awesome solid performances. One of the greatest shows I saw was Phil and Friends on NYE at the Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland, CA in 2000. The lineup was Phil, Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring, Rob Barraco & John Molo (Plus Mike Gordon made a special appearance for a bass jam with Phil. Magical night! You can get the recording here: https://archive.org/details/2000-12-...15.sbeok.flacf
    "I don't know half of you as half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Not the same since Jerry...
    Not the same since Pig...

I sure hope Chicago has thought this one out...
    These mega-thousand religious stampedes can get a little dicey... :-O

Searching for the Sound

Well, for those of you keeping score.... my wife's order was returned on Feb 15 so ....

... I was encouraged that I've yet to have my order returned ... but, the odds are still not great, based on the following communication for GDTSToo that came a short while ago....

And I quote:

"We’ve been submerged in a sea of mail and are coming up for a breath of air to give you an update on where we stand right now. We are 75% of the way processing all of the orders, working 24/7 to get your money orders back to you. There were many, many times more order requests than anyone imagined, thousands and thousands with beautiful art. We are trying to let as many folks as possible know their status before the onsale date. Emails will go out to the winners starting in the next two days. Your chances of receiving tickets from us are 1 in 10, so if you have not received a winner’s email from us by the on-sale date, you may want to consider on line ticket sales to increase your chances.

Tickets will be mailed out in June."
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

24. The following members say thank you to mtm for this post:

I just received my return letter tonight on the 24th.
    Apparently, there were only 22000 tickets that were available for available 350000 mail order ticket requests.

Good Luck to you mtm! I hope your order makes it!

Thought it might be relevant to share this in this here thread since there is a relationship. Last summer/fall Colby Rex-O'Niel from Denman Island BC got on the Furthur bus for 2.5 months to film the 50th Anniversary tour. He's been editing since he got back and recently released the "Going Furthur Official Trailer" here.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Denman John; Feb-24-2015 at 10:08pm. Reason: video posting problems ... fixed!?
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Apparently, there were only 22000 tickets that were available for available 350000 mail order ticket requests.
    Any idea where that 22,000 number came from? Total for the 3 shows or 22,000 for each show?