Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Default Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Let’s say, totally hypothetically, I inherited money I didn’t expect and have no other pressing needs to spend it on. And I was already in the process of saving for a mandolin.
    $10k inherited and almost $6k saved up.

I have 2 Collings MT2 (one F one oval) and a weber bighorn I play regularly. Have a nice northfield octave and Collings guitar too.

I need a wide neck, 1 3/16ths is what I have accepted as necessary for me, had to move on from a couple of nice mandolins that had narrower necks, they simply hurt my left hand.

I do not have an F style, don’t particularly care if I have one, tone and playability are all I care about.

I would be willing to sell the collings guitar and perhaps even my oval hole MT2 if it meant I could get the right instrument... but I don’t know what that is. The only instrument in that price range I have ever wanted was a Nugget.

Given what I have stated above, what would you be looking at?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Default Re: Hypothetical high dollar mando purchase question...

Personally I'd be looking at making my retirement account grow.

Buying for the sake of buying is nice but it doesn't sound like you're looking for a specific instrument. Spend some of that money on a trip to Nashville and stop at Carters or go up to Elderly in Lansing and see if there's anything that you just can't live without. Then again if you want a Nugget now might be the time to go see Mike Kemnitzer.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I agree with Mike. As I said in another thread moments ago, the instrument that gets the most play-time from my small collection is actually my least expensive instrument. That doesn't mean I don't value or play my 'better' instruments, it just means that simple one is the one I have the most fun with.

What I am trying to say is expense doesn't necessarily equal value to you. And what the instrument does for you is all that really matters (within reason).

So, don't think you have to spend that (hypothetical) money; it's not burning a hole in your pocket. If it ever comes to you, take a trip or two to check out lots of instruments. Look for the one you can't live without. You may find that it's one you already have, or it's less expensive than you might have imagined.

Good luck!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

5. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

dang 

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

It’s admirable that folks offer sensible guidance. That said, if I was looking for an upper tier mandolin, I personally would enjoy playing a Randy Wood. Such a wonderful voice and so eminently playable. There was only one other boutique builder mandolin that truly interested me; but if the two were side by side and I HAD to make a choice, the Randy Wood would win out. Just personal preference, I guess.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Personally I'd be looking at making my retirement account grow.

Buying for the sake of buying is nice but it doesn't sound like you're looking for a specific instrument. Spend some of that money on a trip to Nashville and stop at Carters or go up to Elderly in Lansing and see if there's anything that you just can't live without. Then again if you want a Nugget now might be the time to go see Mike Kemnitzer.
    Retirement account is good, plenty going into it! A trip or custom order sounds reasonable...

Well, like ya say.......hypothetical......

It's a nice thing to own, to hold, to play......no argument there....

What the heck, it's STILL cheaper than a sports car!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

"Given what I have stated above, what would you be looking at?" I'd get a hold of Mike Kemnitzer. Nuggets are fine mandolins & given that you want a wider neck, you're unlikely to find what you're after on the used market. Why not pay him a visit and order one?

12. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Well, like ya say.......hypothetical......

It's a nice thing to own, to hold, to play......no argument there....

What the heck, it's STILL cheaper than a sports car!!!
    I guess the real hypothetical part is do I want to spend that much on an instrument! Lol

And I guess the real story is when my grandma died, she left each grandkid money and I saved most of it, but spent a little on my first good guitar.

My aunt has now passed and it kinda seems appropriate to spend it on my “last” mandolin.

Before this happened I was saving up for an A-style Ellis or Apitius I was thinking I would custom order with a wide neck. Perhaps the only difference is now a nugget is in the runnings too?

Ideas welcome

Well, now I’d have to look at the secondary market for one of Bill Halsey’s F-5’s. But, the grow the retirement account thought makes lots, more sense.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

15. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

dang 

I'm of the opinion that you only live once. Do it without any regrets. If your budget allows it, go for it. If you buy right, then when it comes time, you should be able to get your money back out of it - maybe more. Even if you lose a little money on it, you had the opportunity to enjoy a fine instrument for a while and that part is priceless.
    ManjoMan

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManjoMan For This Useful Post:

So this is not a hypothetical question at all?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    So this is not a hypothetical question at all?
    I’m still talking myself into it, but yeah, it’s not hypothetical at all, I just wasn’t sure how much detail I wanted to supply

20. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

My friend Brick, whenever I think I have enough mandolins, I go to a place like Carter Vintage, especially the high end room. That said, that room is loaded with F5s and mostly if not all are +10k. I can imagine with a desire for a 10k A model, I would make a call to Steve Gilchrist or Paul Duff and see what they would make for me. Two other builders that I have personally used and recommend are Gail Hester and Andrew Mowry.

22. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

dang 

Another I would call is Tom Ellis. He would make you a monster A. Great guy to deal with.

24. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Let’s say, totally hypothetically, I inherited money I didn’t expect and have no other pressing needs to spend it on. And I was already in the process of saving for a mandolin.
    $10k inherited and almost $6k saved up.

The only instrument in that price range I have ever wanted was a Nugget.
    If you’ve been wanting a Nugget, you probably won’t be satisfied with anything else. I say go for it.

26. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Having religiously avoided the high dollar market, I'm not qualified to give an opinion, so my opinion is if there was something out there that you've played that rocked your world, and you can now make it possible without detriment to the rest of your life plans, go for it.

I should never have played that Ellis. I guess that is the threshold to the good stuff. But heck, I've saved a bunch of money driving my last four cars to 250,000 miles.....
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The part of your post that caught my attention was the little part where you said you don't know what the right instrument is. I'd say step one has to be finding the answer to that question by playing through the possibilities.

I think it's a nice gesture to apply inherited money to an instrument you'll love and likely play every day.

29. The following members say thank you to archerscreek for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Another I would call is Tom Ellis. He would make you a monster A. Great guy to deal with.
    Dang, Tom Ellis is a great guy...& that's what I did, but I'm primarily a guitar player....& if i had a hankering for a Nugget.... i'd make it happen. Joe K Walsh loves his.

Blog Entries

Hey, man!

It seems you have quite the situation on your hands. If I read your post right, you inherited $10k, saved $16k, and are willing to sell or trade about another $5k in current instruments. So, with about $20k to work with, the mandolin world is practically your oyster, or your mother of pearl, haha.

I also think for that amount of money you owe it to yourself to really see and hear what's out there. For a small portion of the money, you could travel to Nashville, Elderly, The Mandolin Store, even independent builders to see what they have. I also don't think you need to spend all $20k on an instrument. You already have a few good instruments, so you have a good idea of what $5k will get you. Do you get quadruple more if you spend quadruple more. Maybe. But, Ellis, Kimble, and tons of other high-end, independent builders don't cost $20k for even their most elaborate models. Nugget's, Dude's, Moneteleone's, Gilchrist's, and the like are awesome, but they're not the only awesome game in town, and one reason they are so pricey is they are so established, due to the fact that they are so awesome. The brand is strong so they can charge more.

I'm convinced you could buy that incredible instrument you want, keep everything you have, and still walk away with some of the money.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

32. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

In your shoes? I'd go find a Sam Bush model Gibson!

Yeah, that's my one f-model dream. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Since you don't need an F-style...(awesome!)
    You can look at the best A-styles around. Dudenbostel, Nugget, and Gilchrist A-models would all be well within your means. You wouldn't even need to sell anything and may have money left over.
    Take your time - and maybe a trip to Nashville.

Kirk

having found myself in this position, I can tell you eighteen months on, I still haven't found anything that I'd be willing to buy at the $16k+ level.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    The only instrument in that price range I have ever wanted was a Nugget.
    This statement stuck out above all others. You have the (hypothetical) cash and the desire... so what is your question? As others have stated, call Mr. K. Right now. Hypothetically, of course.

You really should have posted this as "A friend of mine inherited money he didn't expect..."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

37. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Being that you don't NEED an F style, the world is genuinely your oyster on this one. If Nugget is your dream, fulfill the dream. If you're open to shopping, make that Nashville trip. Do yourself a favor and include a Heiden and a in your shopping. Also, don't settle for the first of any you find. Play a bunch even from the same maker. They each have their sound periods and two instruments built 10 years apart will be different. You may also find that $5k on a used Ellis A steals the show, then you've got the funds left to go play it anywhere in the country.

Blog Entries

Get what ya want, life is short and very unexpected! I pulled the trigger on some old 5's and don't look back as far as retirement account well a high end mandolin is it-I sure wouldn't bet on anything in a bank nowadays! Yeah a conundrum but play your $ instead of looking at how much ya have in a statement?

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post: