Thread: Zoom H2n Recorder Questions

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Zoom H2n Recorder Questions

Based on recommendations in another thread, I bought a Zoom H2n recorder - primarily to record at an upcoming music camp. Right now I'm trying to learn how to do different things with it, especially what mics to use when.

Tomorrow I'll be taking minutes at a meeting being held around a large conference table. Should I select the 2ch or 4ch setting? Also, I have no clue as to the best S level setting and can't figure it out from the manual. How do you decide how wide or narrow to go? Finally, when you've made numerous recordings, how do you keep track of the contents of each file without listening to each?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Zoom H2n Recorder Questions

For a meeting scenario with that recorder the '2-channel surround' mode would be my choice. It creates a single 'stereo' track so is easy to process later. The 4-channel surround mode creates two stereo tracks and needs more work in post-production. Fine in some applications, but somewhat overkill for a meeting. Place the recorder in the centre of the table, preferably on a soft, non-reflective mat or similar.

As to the question of keeping track - when doing broadcast/film sound you take notes. Anything from a piece of paper to logging the takes on a laptop/tablet or via the 'metadata' facility more advanced field recorders offer.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Jul-11-2018 at 11:01pm.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Sherry, I download the recordings from my Tascam on to my laptop. They're easier to manage on the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    Sherry, I download the recordings from my Tascam on to my laptop. They're easier to manage on the laptop.
    Yes, and once downloaded onto the laptop I name and date them all so I know what's what. You can also name the files on the H2 but it's easier to do it on the laptop as far as the typing of the name goes. Once you download the files onto a laptop you can then reformat the H2's SD card, which frees up room for more recordings.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

Try to put the recorder so the display is in sight and you can read the time code. This will be elapsed time from the start.
    on your minutes draw a line down the right hand side of the pages.
    As you progress through the minutes write down the timecode associated with the key-word or phrase on that line.
    Before you start write down the list of attendees and give each a unique Name code of their initials and a number if there is a match.

Don’t worry too much about writing down lots of words, use key phrases just to highlight the important points & interjections as they are raised, you will pick up the details when you re-visit the audio later. However don’t skimp on paper, get a key word or two down for anything & the name code for the speaker. Also occasionally write down the time of day so you can reference that if needed in the minutes. The main issue can be keeping your focus and not letting points drift by without jotting down some meta data. If something is raised to be un-minuted, do not just pause the recording, stop it and make a note that the recording was stopped at a given time while first saying on the machine “recording stopped at ..... “ then “recording restarted at....” , this keeps everything clear and above board & inspires confidence in those present.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

If you can at the start say a few words on what's coming next e.g. "XYZ committee meeting at 7pm on Sunday 6th" It means you just need to play the first few seconds to identify the recording.

This is great info. What can you tell me re: the S level setting?

Blog Entries

That’s the level of the side mic so you can adjust the apparent stereo width, but that won’t give good coverage of sources on the control side.
    For this application I would just leave it as 2ch surround, as you probably need an even and clear sound from all round.
    if you’re only surrounded on three sides and it could be useful to locate speakers afterwards to jog your memory, then the M-S function could possibly be useful.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Eoin, so with 2ch I don't set the stereo level?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    For this application I would just leave it as 2ch surround, as you probably need an even and clear sound from all round.
    Yes. 2 ch surround is probably your best friend for getting started, which ends up as kind of an omni setting recording sounds on all sides. The MS and XY settings are meant to record more directionally - the former pointing away from the control display, and the latter pointing toward the display (among other differences).
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Page 20 and 21 of the manual are what I go by for picking what mic configurations to use. As previous posters have said, 2 channel surround is adequate for meetings, 4 channel would be more for doing ASMR recordings or other highly nuanced applications. XY is what I use for recording instruments, typically at close range, and MS is what I use for recording soundscapes like thunder, rain, animals at night etc, more distant sounds.