Thread: David Surette - The Green Mandolin

Unhappy David Surette - The Green Mandolin

"As part of the project all the tunes will be transcribed, in music and mandolin tab. They will be posted for free download on the web (www.BurkeSurette.com), as both an aid to learning and as an incentive for pickers to buy the album"

I recently purchased this album the BurkeSurette website via CDBaby as directed. the Album is really good and I looked forward to learning to play a few of the arrangements on the CD. I tried, as indicated in Mandolin Cafe (see above) and CDBaby website, to download the music and tabs but I was unable to find them on the website. I have contacted both Davids and CDbaby by email but neither have responded.

Has any member been able to get the transcriptions and if so can they advise where they are located on the website?

regards

Alcluith

Blog Entries

Default Re: David Surette - The Green Mandolin

That news release was publish ten years ago. Doesn't appear David's new web site has that information at the moment.

Irrespective of when it was published the cdbaby website is still selling the album and advertises the ability to download the tabs, as part of the sales blurb, as an incentive to buy the album. It certainly does not excuse them nor David from not answering my emails and addressing my queries.

Alcluith

Smile Re: David Surette - The Green Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Alcluith View Post
    Irrespective of when it was published the cdbaby website is still selling the album and advertises the ability to download the tabs, as part of the sales blurb, as an incentive to buy the album. It certainly does not excuse them nor David from not answering my emails and addressing my queries.

Alcluith
    I have had a response from both cdbaby and David Surette and we are working getting the tabs for the Green Mandolin album. David has indeed lost the Tabs for the album, but has them hand written. As both David and myself use MuseScore to create tabs, I was able to assist in putting in his hand written tabs into that programme. Hopefully he will then be able to create PDFs and put them up in his new website.

Alcluith

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Alcluith View Post
    I have had a response from both cdbaby and David Surette and we are working getting the tabs for the Green Mandolin album. David has indeed lost the Tabs for the album, but has them hand written. As both David and myself use MuseScore to create tabs, I was able to assist in putting in his hand written tabs into that programme. Hopefully he will then be able to create PDFs and put them up in his new website.

Alcluith
    Good news, thanks for the follow-up.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

As I really enjoy this CD, I decided to do a quick search, as transcriptions for these would be awesome. Perhaps the "discovery" I made below can assist you or David in recreating these.

Sit back as our dog Peabody with his boy Sherman set the dial back to September 3, 2011 to bring you the Green Mandolin in Tabledit TEF format, from David's website, courtesy of the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Follow this link, then click on the left-hand menu "Green Mandolin". Perhaps there are some later versions of the transcriptions locked away in the archive that are not in this archaic TEF format!

http://web.archive.org/web/201109030...urette.com:80/
    Last edited by Gary Leonard; Jun-25-2018 at 7:49pm.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Smile Re: David Surette - The Green Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    As I really enjoy this CD, I decided to do a quick search, as transcriptions for these would be awesome. Perhaps the "discovery" I made below can assist you or David in recreating these.

Sit back as our dog Peabody with his boy Sherman set the dial back to September 3, 2011 to bring you the Green Mandolin in Tabledit TEF format, from David's website, courtesy of the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Follow this link, then click on the left-hand menu "Green Mandolin". Perhaps there are some later versions of the transcriptions locked away in the archive that are not in this archaic TEF format!

http://web.archive.org/web/201109030...urette.com:80/
    Hi Gary

thank you for the link, it works really well and I am able to get the tunes in the TEF format. You can with a bit of effort get them into MuseScore and therefore should be available in PDF format soon. David is looking at getting them all done and onto his new website, so they will once again be available for all to use.

Alcluith

Good to hear Alcuith! I took a class with David last year at Swannanoa, and have a couple of the hand written scores. It will be great to have PDFs of these songs.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Attachment 168916
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Good to hear Alcuith! I took a class with David last year at Swannanoa, and have a couple of the hand written scores. It will be great to have PDFs of these songs.
    Gary,

Here is the first draft of the set from the Green Mandolin Album track 3, I've called Robertson's Farewell to Aberdeen.

Alcluith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Robertson's Farewell to Aberdeen  Set.pdf  
    Last edited by Alcluith; Jun-27-2018 at 4:30am. Reason: correct the attachment

David,

The attachment (Green Mandolin Album track 3) doesn’t work. Is there another place where we can see it?

It works on my computer.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Dave’s away teaching at camp this week.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."