Thread: Fixing up a cheap case - is 3M spray adhesive a bad idea?

Default Fixing up a cheap case - is 3M spray adhesive a bad idea?

Hello all you people out in Mando Land!

My instrument, a used 1998 Kentucky KM200S, came with a cheap chipboard case. I don't have any $$ to replace it right now, so I am shoring it up with stuff I mostly already have. I'm making some padding out of some packing foam, a 1" thick piece around the bottom of the case, and some layers of thin white foam around the sides and on the top. I have some stretchy crushed velveteen material to line it with, and plan on making a strap out of velcro to hold the neck in place on the little wooden box type compartment. I have some 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive I was planning to use to secure the fabric to the foam and the foam to the case.

Suddenly I became worried about using that glue inside a case. The fabric is pretty thin. Any chance it could outgas and damage my mandolin? Or will it be inert enough after it dries?

I appreciate any input from you more knowledgeable folks!

Take it easy!
    Sue

Default Re: Fixing up a cheap case - is 3M spray adhesive a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Hello all you people out in Mando Land!

My instrument, a used 1998 Kentucky KM200S, came with a cheap chipboard case. I don't have any $$ to replace it right now, so I am shoring it up with stuff I mostly already have. I'm making some padding out of some packing foam, a 1" thick piece around the bottom of the case, and some layers of thin white foam around the sides and on the top. I have some stretchy crushed velveteen material to line it with, and plan on making a strap out of velcro to hold the neck in place on the little wooden box type compartment. I have some 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive I was planning to use to secure the fabric to the foam and the foam to the case.

Suddenly I became worried about using that glue inside a case. The fabric is pretty thin. Any chance it could outgas and damage my mandolin? Or will it be inert enough after it dries?

I appreciate any input from you more knowledgeable folks!

Take it easy!
    Sue
    The gas would be the least of your worries. Leave it open in the air a few days in your garage and it will air itself out. The bigger problem is if there is any contact between anything vinyl and a lacquer finish. I don't know if those older Kentucky mandolins were lacquer or poly. Vinyl eats lacquer.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nyl/vinyl.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I looked at the link. Wow that looks bad. I guess I will hold off until and unless I can find out more about the finish. The cloth is 100% polyester, and I guess I don't really know what the foam is made of. Thank you for mentioning that! I'm a little bummed because I wanted to give the mandolin a little more protection.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Mar-30-2020 at 6:27pm.

I respect your industrious intentions, but have you thought about just using some cotton cloth to fill the voids in the case? A chipboard case is what it is, and probably can’t be made into a roadworthy case. Just a thought.

I have foam, simply wrapped with a blue paper shop towel, in a case to take up some slack. No glue, not as convenient as you need to adjust once in a while, but it keeps the foam separated from the mandolin. Been there years now with no problem. Could glue the towel to the back of the foam and not the front. I would prefer cotton, a tee shirt, or an old cotton flannel shirt for the material instead of polyester. Some folks stuff old socks into a sock to fill the gap. I am sure you will figure something out.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Some folks stuff old socks into a sock to fill the gap. I am sure you will figure something out.
    I just threw out all my old socks about a month ago. Had about 2 bags of them, darn it.

I like the idea of an old flannel shirt. Also have plenty of ratty old towels. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Chip board is cardboard... why not just buy a different case? wooden ones not that costly..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3M Super 77 or Super 90 doesn't offgas significantly once sprayed. Spray it on both sides, let it sit for 3-5 minutes before assembling, and it's pretty much inert. Leave it for an hour if you're worried. It may smell "rubbery" for a couple weeks, but it's not going to damage anything.
    Source: I'm an industrial designer who has sprayed Super 77 on anything and everything cause that's what we do

Oh yeah.. I glue in my labels with Super 77. It's fine for instruments. If you get some on the mandolin, it won't even do much. It'll just be sticky for a bit. Wipe it down with some mineral spirits and move on with your life, if that happens.

So I emailed Saga and asked about the finish on my mandolin, and here is the reply I got from David there: "In 1998, your mandolin was manufactured with a polyurethane finish. A few years later when we shifted production to China, we changed the finish to Nitro Cellulose. I think you should be safe." So thanks so much to them, so quick and friendly.

And thank you, Marty, for the definitive answer to my original question about the adhesive.

I get that chipboard is cardboard and all that, but I really don't want to spend any money right now. Also, I have a little time on my hands right now. I'll save up and get a better case at some point, and then if and when MAS strikes, I will be ready.

In the mean time, I could just roll up some towels, but I want my mandolin to have a nicer place to sleep when I'm not practicing (probably won't be taking her anywhere). I think I will save the polyester velveteen for a dress or skirt, though, and use pieces of old flannel shirt like pops1 suggested. I've got some scraps of quilt batting that I might use as well.

Best to all,
    Sue

Honestly Sue, you can't really "improve" a chipboard case into something worth while. If you spend ANY money on fabric, foam or adhesive, you would be much better off buying a cheap hard shell case. Here's one for $49 with free shipping, and another for $39 + $4 shipping.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...RoCYNgQAvD_BwE
    https://www.wish.com/product/5a4371a..._BwE&share=web

11. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

Smile Re: home for your mandolin @ home

Wall hanging forks , notably, Hercules , has gate levers that hold the neck in security
    closing with the weight of the instrument..

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Hercule...7-1f036534069b

You would tend grab it in a moment's practice whim, more often, if its not stowed away in a case..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture