Thread: What's your favorite mandolin resources?

Default What's your favorite mandolin resources?

Hey mandolin geniuses,

So, I finally bought my mandolin, an Eastman md605. It's a beaut!

I think it's lucky that I found mandolin cafe. What mandolin help site, youtube performs and lesson teachers, mandolin tab sites, and learning centers are your favorites? I know I'm going to need a lot of help.
    Thanks,
    devin
    Eastman MD605

2. The following members say thank you to DevinG for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: What's your favorite mandolin resources?

1. Check the articles, links & studies under the Learn/Listen tab here at the cafe. Mandolin Cafe is my favorite hangout for all things mandolin. You can also join a social group for projects to learn and help and encouragement. The Newbies social group would be a good place, also the Song A Week social group.

2. My favorite learning site when starting out was www.mandolessons.com - in addition, I learned a lot from www.bradleylaird.com and www.banjobenclark.com and from Pete Martin at www.petimarpress.com - check out the "Advice For Mandolin Newbies" at my website, link in signature.

3. Best for me long term has been to purchase courses from www.homespun.com - they have many sets of video series, and offer deep discounts weekly through their email list. Over the past few years, I've racked up a large volume of mandolin lesson series through them, and I use them all the time in my studies.

The Mike Marshall Homespun series titled "Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players" - a 2 DVD set from www.homespun.com - should be included with every first-time mandolin purchase, IMO.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Sep-10-2020 at 5:35pm.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Hi Mark,

This is an incredible bunch of resources. I look for the Listen/Learn tab.
    Much appreciated!
    Eastman MD605

MandoLessons.com
    Any of Sharon Gilchrist's lesson series' on Peghead Nation
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

I really like Wayne's World Of Mandolin. I took a few lessons from him when I lived in SC and love his teaching and playing; he's such a mensch!

Clark Beavans

9. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

DevinG 

www.thesession.org is one library of tunes
    http://www.rudemex.co.uk/library/ABC/01tunelib_abc.php is more English trad with some European tunes
    http://abcnotation.com/ is huge.

Most of these libraries are too big though, I think it’s better to go through small books of tunes that other mandolinists have chosen to play and record or:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...856&do=discuss
    A list if nearly 2000 tunes often with notation right here on MandolinCafe.

Get into this, Song-a-Week https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67 and you’ll hear lots of different versions of the same tune played by different people. Invaluable.

Enjoy!

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

DevinG 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    1. Check the articles, links & studies under the Learn/Listen tab here at the cafe. Mandolin Cafe is my favorite hangout for all things mandolin. You can also join a social group for projects to learn and help and encouragement. The Newbies social group would be a good place, also the Song A Week social group.

2. My favorite learning site when starting out was www.mandolessons.com - in addition, I learned a lot from www.bradleylaird.com and www.banjobenclark.com and from Pete Martin at www.petimarpress.com - check out the "Advice For Mandolin Newbies" at my website, link in signature.

3. Best for me long term has been to purchase courses from www.homespun.com - they have many sets of video series, and offer deep discounts weekly through their email list. Over the past few years, I've racked up a large volume of mandolin lesson series through them, and I use them all the time in my studies.

The Mike Marshall Homespun series titled "Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players" - a 2 DVD set from www.homespun.com - should be included with every first-time mandolin purchase, IMO.
    Its amazing,... like dejas vous ... I feel like I just read this in another thread. Mark, I think you must have this on a word doc that you can just copy and paste

Love it!!!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

13. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

DevinG 

Well, there have been some great resources sighted here, and a lot depends upon finding the method and teaching style which works best for you. I will put my hat in the ring also, as if it is free you are looking for, I have started doing a few free mandolin and guitar lessons per week on YouTube. These cover both tunes and techniques, and I allow people to put in requests regarding songs or techniques they want to explore/ get help on, and I’ll put up a video demonstrating them if at all possible. I have some technique videos coming out over the next few days, but here is my last mando lesson, which is on the Monroe classic Wheel Hoss. This may be a little advanced depending upon where you are on the instrument right now, but I’m certain that it is broken down enough that you could start learning it. Also, I am uploading a video on the basics of chopping/ good rhythm habits as I write this, and that may offer you something. As long as I receive subscribers who stay actively involved, I will continue the videos on into the future. They may be worth checking out anyhow… https://youtu.be/tuM4A28GsgQ
    Shawn Brock
    Free Mandolin and Guitar Lessons
    https://www.youtube.com/shawnbrockmusic
    www.shawnbrock.com

15. The following members say thank you to shawnbrock for this post:

DevinG 

Thanks, tree. This channel looks fun!
    Eastman MD605

Thanks, shawnbrock! I'll subscribe now.
    Eastman MD605

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Its amazing,... like dejas vous ... I feel like I just read this in another thread. Mark, I think you must have this on a word doc that you can just copy and paste

Love it!!!
    No Spencer, actually I wrote all that in response to this query - then, a short time later, another query was made in the same vein, so I jumped back over here to copy what I had written.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

On this forum, it's the Ballo Liscio thread!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ghlight=liscio

Thanks to Mandophile!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all! A rich thread.

22. The following members say thank you to DCHammers for this post:

DevinG 

Really so much great mandolin! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Eastman MD605

Quote Originally Posted by DevinG View Post
    Hey mandolin geniuses,

I think it's lucky that I found mandolin cafe. What mandolin help site, youtube performs and lesson teachers, mandolin tab sites, and learning centers are your favorites? I know I'm going to need a lot of help.
    Thanks,
    devin
    A great online FREE site is mandolessons.com although you can and should donate if you find the site useful. Another very good learning tool is Band in the Box site. But to begin your journey i would attempt to locate a good teacher that you could take lessons from. You want to begin your journey by learning and practicing the CORRECT way so you don't have to relearn as a result of practicing incorrectly.

25. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

DevinG 

Hi Yankees1,
    Great advice. I haven't found a local mandolin teacher yet but I'm working on it.
    Eastman MD605

Hey Devin! If you're planning to play bluegrass I've found it's a good idea to listen to as much classic material as you can lay your hands on, in addition to taking lessons and gathering books and instruction DVDs.
    Listening to Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Louvin Brothers, etc will provide inspiration and help develop your musical ear.
    Check out these two YouTube channels... they are free treasure troves of classics.
    Take's has many albums that have long been out of print: https://www.youtube.com/c/TakehikoSa...sAlbums/videos
    Dave's channel has live recordings that are mind-blowing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6..._CcmJbQ/videos

As you are seeing, this site leads everywhere.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

My favorite mandolin resource is this whole site. Everything you need to know is known by someone here, and likely there are two or three threads about it and a home made chart or two.

Really, this is my favorite mandolin resource.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I have returned to learning mandolin after having given up years ago due to an injury. I had never got past the early beginner stage. This website is probably my most visited one . Since I came back to the mandolin coinciding with pandemic seclusion I am primarily interested in Irish music. For lessons I use the online Academy of Irish Music (OAiME.ie) taught by Paddy Cummins.
    I’ve been using it since about March. What I really like is the ability to play a bar or two or a tune over and over and over and over . It’s been especially helpful with playing along and working on timing which has always been a challenge for me. The other resource that is a favorite is member Aidan Crossey’s The Irish Mandolin web site, which in turn sent me to The Session web site. Just now learning my first jig, The Lilting Banshee (which I expect will take me another month as I’m a slow learner and am trying to be pretty exacting) and I like that I can listen to Paddy’s and then Aidan’s version between taking a breath and composing myself when I need to step back a moment

32. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post:

Hey mandolin geniuses,

Thanks,
    devin

I just got my Eastman 605 Elec. last night. I'm with you, what a beautiful instrument. I hope I can do it justice.

Tim

Hey mandolin geniuses,

Thanks,
    devin
    Devin, I know you were primarily looking for online resources, but two things you should consider if you don't have them is a metronome (plenty of free apps to pick from) and an app that can slow down music without changing pitch. This will help you learn songs at a pace you can deal with. The most popular is The Amazing Slow Downer but Music Speed Changer is also good and is free. For online resources I have used Peghead Nation, online lessons through Lessonface and currently ArtistWorks. I feel that AW is the best value, and the video submittals reviews have been helpful