Thread: Handy tool heads up!

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Default Handy tool heads up!

After a long backorder, these are back in stock. Great for smoothing out that tricky scroll!!

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...95&cat=1,42524
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bluetickhound For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Handy tool heads up!

I added some Japanese looking ebony handles to mine. They give a bit better control than the plastic rings that they come with.

www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oliver A. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetickhound View Post
    After a long backorder, these are back in stock. Great for smoothing out that tricky scroll!!

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...95&cat=1,42524
    I have absolutely no need for these, but that doesn't stop me wanting a set

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

I've been using those file's cousin as a mando fret leveler. It comes in a couple of shapes, but this one for me is the handiest for what I'm doing (i.e., no scroll work!):

Dick Tools Precision hand Grinder

Nice!!
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins

I bought a set when they were first offered. Very nice to have when needed. They would be nicer if the file worked on both sides.

I would imagine some stick it sandpaper would be useful on the smooth side.... Mine are "on the truck for delivery" (five of my most favorite words!!) today. Looking forward to getting my hands on 'em!

Rayburn Mandolins

I had a vegetable peeler in the kitchen drawer that happened to just be the right curve for a mandolin scroll. It seemed like it would make a good thin substrate for attaching sandpaper for getting into the scroll area. Rather than suffering the consequences of absconding with the household peeler, I ordered one from Amazon: Victorinox 2-1/4-Inch Double Edge Peeler, Black Polypropylene Handle $5.92 including prime shipping.
    Before sticking sandpaper to it, you'll need to flatten the veggies cutters. I found a socket that matched the curve and lightly hammered them to fit the curve. I may have also had to file them a bit if they were stubborn in taking on the new shape. It's been awhile. It works for me, but the Lee Valley smoothers look nice. I may have to get some. The peeler has one advantage; you can change the sandpaper grit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victorinox 2-1:4-Inch Double Edge Peeler, Black Polypropylene Handle.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	156324

12. The following members say thank you to bpatrick for this post:

fox 

The Lee Valley tools have smooth inside curves, and I had great success last night with stikit 120 and 220 grit paper. The tapered file got more use than the full curved one but both are fantastic, especially for the price. Glad I bought 'em!

Rayburn Mandolins

Those look like a needed addition here. What I've been wondering about for years is this: is there an adhesive one could spray on any normal surface and then spray an abrasive on it, making your own sanding sticks, blocks, etc.? This must be the way a lot of abrasive products are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Those look like a needed addition here. What I've been wondering about for years is this: is there an adhesive one could spray on any normal surface and then spray an abrasive on it, making your own sanding sticks, blocks, etc.? This must be the way a lot of abrasive products are made.
    3m Super 77

I remember reading somewhere early sandpaper was made by brushing hide glue on paper and sprinkling on crushed, sifted glass… hide glue sticks to almost everything… including glass.
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Brandt View Post
    I remember reading somewhere early sandpaper was made by brushing hide glue on paper and sprinkling on crushed, sifted glass… hide glue sticks to almost everything… including glass.
    I think they may still on some brands being my dog seemed to like the taste of used sandpaper scraps that accidently ended up on the floor. I just always assumed it was an animal glue used.

Quote Originally Posted by bernabe View Post
    I think they may still on some brands being my dog seemed to like the taste of used sandpaper scraps that accidently ended up on the floor. I just always assumed it was an animal glue used.

Hey, my dog tries to eat MDF scraps every time I bring her out to the shop, so who knows? Dogs are weird.

I bought a set of these files and they were quite handy for cleaning up a neck heel as well.
    1918 Gibson F4
    2016 Northfield NF-5S
    2017 Black Guitar Bodied Octave Mandolin #42

Yes, the HHG sounds like a plan. And then I stumbled on this from the world of rock polishing:

https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop...298&catID=1053

This could be life changing!