Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does Bruce Weber Have Planned?

Default Re: What Does Bruce Weber Have Planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Wish Bruce had not sold his good name.

Me too.

If he did "the Bruce" on his headstocks, then he could offer a "Braveheart" variation, "Robert the Bruce". Maybe it could be half blue?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I'm sure there will be models priced at the appropriate high-end luthiery level, but if there's one hope I'd have for what's in the new lineup, it would be to restore an "affordable" range of mandolin-shaped octave mandolins.

TOH cut out the former entry-level Weber OMs, so if you're looking for a carved archtop OM now, there is currently a big gap between the new $700 Eastman OM and the current Weber range, which seem to start now at around $3,500.

If Bruce and Co. can manage an OM that sells for somewhere around $1,500 - $2,000 in a carved archtop OM (and that doesn't look like a guitar, darn it!), I think there would be a market for it.

4. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Tobin 

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Just a thought - Names after large mammals indigenous to Montana:
    Moose
    Black Bear (Brown, etc, for different top colors)
    Bighorn
    Bison
    Bobcat
    Grizzly
    Red Fox (for a Ancient A like instrument)
    Lynx
    You really ought to know; depending on which university one attended "Bobcat" or "Grizzly" can be considered fightin' words.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Wrede For This Useful Post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Just a thought - Names after large mammals indigenous to Montana:
    Moose
    Black Bear (Brown, etc, for different top colors)
    Bighorn
    Bison
    Bobcat
    Grizzly
    Red Fox (for a Ancient A like instrument)
    Lynx
    I think for a clean break, he should go with dinosaur names. Montana is the hotbed of dino digs! I, for one, would much rather my mandocello not be called a "Custom Vintage Oval" but a Titanosaur

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlieshafer For This Useful Post:

On the subject of selling your good name, it happens often in business. Remember "Famous Amos" cookies? After he lost his company and started another, he wasn't allowed to call himself "famous" or "Amos". So he called his new company "Uncle No-Name".
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Obviously it'll be his choice but I hope he keeps the western theme. I think "Big Sky" would be a great name for a mandolin...as well as some other names associated with Montana rivers and creeks...such as Sweetwater, Spring Creek, Crazy Woman.

I like Sweetgrass. It is used by the native Americans in their smudging ceremony and it rolls nicely off the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I like Sweetgrass. It is used by the native Americans in their smudging ceremony and it rolls nicely off the tongue.
    'Sweetgrass'....that one would be a HUGE hit in Colorado, Oregon, Califa...

13. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

I was reading his website and trying my best to make heads or tails out of his "Mandolin Authority Certification" program....???? It looks like it costs $250 plus shipping for him to inspect your instrument and put his opinion of the condition in writing for you. If any repairs are necessary, they are additional, of course.

At the risk of making a fool out of myself, it seems like a very expensive appraisal to me. Any thoughts from the Cafe? Kinda reminded me of the Sears appliance service agreement, where you pay for the service "in advance", but this doesn't include the service, just the "certification?" I'm probably missing something or maybe it is just "above my pay grade!"

Jeff- here is my understanding of the program. If you buy a used instrument it has no factory warranty since that goes to the original owner only. If you send your instrument to Bruce, even if you are not the original owner, he will guarantee it as if it was a brand new instrument and you were the original owner, with the exception of any pre-existing conditions he may find, unless you authorize him to do those necessary repairs (at extra cost). In that case, the entire instrument is warrantied just as if you were the original owner. When he was still in charge of Weber, he offered that program . I have no idea whether TOH still offers it. Probably not. At this point, Bruce is handling all warranty work for TOH Weber. This program is really unique in the instrument business. It is a truism that only the original owner can claim the manufacturer's warranty, but Bruce's program is the only one I ever heard of that gives someone a second chance at getting that protection. I guess you could call it insurance. Plus, you get to find out if there are any problems you were not aware of.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Don, Thanks for clarifying that program. You described it better than the website did.
    When going through this thread yesterday, I thought of names Geoff Stelling had for his banjos. After he moved to Virginia, he came out with a number of VA related names and graphics: Red Fox (still a model), Dog Wood (graphic, state flower), Cardinal (graphic, state bird) and Virginian (still a model). All this speculation is fun, but I have a feeling that Bruce, like the past, will come out with a plan that will surprise all of us and when we hear it, we will say "Yep, he's done it again."
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I think that having us talk about it has proven a sucess, and I'm sure his legal advisors have drawn a line not to be crossed. As to those bemoaning the loss of his name on his products, well, that is a huge part of what TOH bought. It will be interesting to see this unfold. I can't believe someone of that stature would want to crank out travel mandolins all day, when he could build new high end mandolins. Perhaps a Northfield business model would work for that. We'll see.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Maybe Jr. is still involved with Weber at TOH? In any case, looking forward to seeing what comes of this new venture.

I for one would love to see him bring back the flat top line. The Aspen (mandolin), The Alder (mandola). The Sage (octave), The Tamarack (mandocello). I had a chance to purchase the last Sage they ever made, from Stan Jay no less, and I hesitated. Big regret there. Since there is not too much between entry level octave mandolins at around 700 dollars, and the next step up being Webers at 4000, I think bringing back the Sage would be a game changer if the price point were 1600-1700. He wouldn't get able to build them fast enough.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I for one would love to see him bring back the flat top line. The Aspen (mandolin), The Alder (mandola). The Sage (octave), The Tamarack (mandocello). I had a chance to purchase the last Sage they ever made, from Stan Jay no less, and I hesitated. Big regret there. Since there is not too much between entry level octave mandolins at around 700 dollars, and the next step up being Webers at 4000, I think bringing back the Sage would be a game changer if the price point were 1600-1700. He wouldn't get able to build them fast enough.

Me too. I had an Alder and a Sage I. Great instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Obviously it'll be his choice but I hope he keeps the western theme. I think "Big Sky" would be a great name for a mandolin...as well as some other names associated with Montana rivers and creeks...such as Sweetwater, Spring Creek, Crazy Woman.
    Let's see. Already has a Big Horn. How about a Greasy Grass?
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

It is my understanding that Bruce Jr has left TOH. As for the name, remember George Lowden sold his company along with the name Lowden, twice. He has since gotten it back. Where there's a will, there is a way.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Here's the ''Mandolin Authority Certification'' page - https://www.montanalutherie.com/mand...certification/ Bruce makes no mention of it being only for his own Weber built instruments. That was a 're-certification' prog. that he ran for folks who'd bought a 'used' Weber & wanted a full Weber guarantee for it. This new prog. seems to be for any make of instrument,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

So, are these going to be warrantied by his company, Montana Lutherie, or has he made arrangements with other builders to re-certify their instruments under their warranty programs?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    On the subject of selling your good name, it happens often in business.
    Leo Fender sold Fender guitars for 13 Million dollars back in 1965. And that was when a dollar was a dollar! Probably a no-brainer, unless you already have 13 Million dollars.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Here's the ''Mandolin Authority Certification'' page - https://www.montanalutherie.com/mand...certification/ Bruce makes no mention of it being only for his own Weber built instruments. That was a 're-certification' prog. that he ran for folks who'd bought a 'used' Weber & wanted a full Weber guarantee for it. This new prog. seems to be for any make of instrument
    As I remember it (I could be wrong), the original Weber program was basically an option to transfer the standard Weber lifetime warranty to buyers of used Weber instruments, after an inspection to see if any further work needed to be done.

This looks more like an appraisal certificate, guaranteeing the condition of an instrument for use in selling it. There is even mention of having Montana Lutherie handle the consignment sale. I don't think there is any warranty implied here.

Back when the former re-warranty program was in place, I considered taking advantage of it for my secondhand Yellowstone OM. I never did though, since the instrument was already 15 years old, and in fine shape minus the usual things like fret wear. If an instrument doesn't blow up in the first few years, then chances are it will never need warranty work. So I passed.

I see Bruce is offering a full repair and setup service as well as pending new instrument sales. I might take advantage of that. My Weber OM is getting to the point where it could use some fret work, and the listed prices are similar to what I'd pay locally. Shipping would cost me, but the nearest luthier I'd trust to do the work is a full day trip away. The cost of two trips to the big city including gas, ferry, and food would probably work out close to shipping fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Wish Bruce had not sold his good name.
    I suppose that means he sold (or lost) his wood stash as well??
    I helped Bruce acquire a huge accumulation of old tonewood about 15 years ago or so, and it was an impressive pile...
    Hope they were able to hang on to some of that stash for future builds...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Leo Fender sold Fender guitars for 13 Million dollars back in 1965. And that was when a dollar was a dollar! Probably a no-brainer, unless you already have 13 Million dollars.......
    Then Fender went on to design instruments for Music Man, then found G&L with George Fullerton (the "G" of "G&L"; Fender was the "L" of course) and Dale Hyatt. Couldn't call any of 'em "Fender," of course. Fender-designed Stingray basses by Music Man were a real hot item 30 or so years ago; supposedly played rings around the Fender basses. Not being an electric bass player, I wouldn't know.

If Weber still has a warranty-servicing arrangement with Two Old Hippies, wonder how likely it is he'll go into direct competition with them? Might make things a bit uncomfortable.

We all seem to be speculating that he'll want to start offering a full line of mandolins very like Webers. If he wanted to do that, why leave Weber in the first place?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Then Fender went on to design instruments for Music Man, then found G&L with George Fullerton (the "G" of "G&L"; Fender was the "L" of course) and Dale Hyatt. Couldn't call any of 'em "Fender," of course. Fender-designed Stingray basses by Music Man were a real hot item 30 or so years ago; supposedly played rings around the Fender basses. Not being an electric bass player, I wouldn't know.

If Weber still has a warranty-servicing arrangement with Two Old Hippies, wonder how likely it is he'll go into direct competition with them? Might make things a bit uncomfortable.

We all seem to be speculating that he'll want to start offering a full line of mandolins very like Webers. If he wanted to do that, why leave Weber in the first place?
    Well, let's see....your company gets bought for multi millions, and then you get to go start a brand new mandolin company to improve upon what you just got millions for....and have the Mando community eagerly awaiting your next move....Sign me up for that.

But, if you're saying that if he just wanted to make Weber copies, no reason to come out of retirement for that, then I agree.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

31. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post: