Thread: What's going on stateside between 26th Sept & early Novemeber

Default What's going on stateside between 26th Sept & early Novemeber

Hi all,

I'm likely going to be back in the states for a few weeks from the end of September touring with an old band of mine. From what I've been told, our itinerary starts on 4th October around the East (New York, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, West Virginia) and then we're out to the mid-west (Ohio, Iowa, Chicago). I have the option of going to NYC for a week, or so, before the tour where I might hang out (from the 27th Sept) and I'll probably hang around til the end of October/early November after the tour finishes. We'll be finishing in Iowa.

I'm trying to plan my itinerary as I'd like to use the opportunity to get some bluegrass in. Be it jams, festivals and/or workshops. Pretty open agenda. Let me know what you got :-)

Patrick

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: What's going on stateside between 26th Sept & early Novemeber

There is a Richmond folk-life festival that usually shows up in October. It's loads of fun, free and well attended.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

IBMA in Raleigh - starts in the last week of September.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

4. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

B381 

I don't think I'll make it to Richmond unfortunately. We're in Sheperdstown, WV for a day or so and then headed on towards Chicago area. IBMA would be great to get to and thanks for the heads up but NY is my only option in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Paahto View Post
    I don't think I'll make it to Richmond unfortunately. We're in Sheperdstown, WV for a day or so and then headed on towards Chicago area. IBMA would be great to get to and thanks for the heads up but NY is my only option in September.

There is the great lakes music camp in Michigan October 6-8 as well...we'll have hosted jams/sessions/etc. in the evening if you're in Michigan around that time.

Thanks Jason. Oct 6-8 I'll keep it in mind.

I'm actually trying to form a plan for after our tour in October. Looks like we'll be finishing in Chicago area but I'm going to stick around and travel towards NY over the space of a week. Then, hopefully, I can route a trip down towards the Virginias and Carolinas and across towards TN and KY. If there was something going on in those regions (even just weekly jam sessions and/or Irish/Old-time sessions) I'd love to know. If I can afford it, I'd like to push my trip out til December some time.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Westchester Bluegrass Club has a lot of contacts, which is outside of NYC, up the coast towards Connecticut. In Connecticut, you can contact Chris Wuerth at the Connecticut Bluegrass Association for Jams

There are LOTS of pickers between Westchester County and Fairfield County, Ct. IN the city, there are a bunch of folks in Brooklyn, mostly hanging about the Rockwood Music Hall on Allyn Street in NYC. Joe Brent, a cafe irregular, may know of what's happening in the city proper.

9. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Great Charlie. Thanks a million for that information. I'll certainly use it when I get to the city.

11. The following members say thank you to Paahto for this post: