Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a year...

Default After a year...

I’ve reached my year anniversary of beginning to play. I’m not as far along as I had hoped but perception is always different than reality, isn’t it? Ha. I am pleased with my progress when contrasted with the amount of time to learn I have (15-30 minutes/5 or so days a week) and too, since I’m learning to read notation that has slowed me down a bit. I’ve accepted the fact that I’m not that good yet because I know one day - probably when I’m 83 - I’ll be really good.

Loving my new Breedlove! It ‘feels’ different (better!) than my Kentucky so my fingers are still getting used to it.

My best to all of the other "new" players out there. The journey is worth it!
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CSIMelissa For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: After a year...

I'm with you Melissa. I've been playing about 14 months, taking a one hour lesson per week and playing every day anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, sometimes more. I don't think any of us believe we are where we should be/want to be, but as my instructor told me in the beginning "You'll look back at these early tunes you are struggling with now and breeze right through them in time". He was certainly right. Some of the tunes I learned early on in my lessons are now very easy to play through (chords wise). Still learning some complicated chords but now with my instructor, concentrating mostly on leads. You are quite right, it has and will continue to be one of the most enjoyable journeys I have ever decided to get involved with! BTW, beautiful new instrument you have there!
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

4. The following members say thank you to Paul Hird for this post:

Happy anniversary. It gets more exciting when you play along with other instruments, like a guitar. It just gets better and better.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

I agree, Hudmister. I have had a few occasions to play in a jam situation with some other musicians and although it was challenging and even if I couldn't keep up, it is such a positive learning experience. And when I was able to get through a tune (for the most part) it was very satisfying and encouraging, increasing my desire to get together with other musicians more and more.
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

Well, I'm up to about 45 years, and I'm not as far along as I'd hoped, either.

Enjoy the journey, whatever the ultimate destination.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Great to hear these comments. I am in month 2 of lessons and learning to read music.

11. The following members say thank you to Bob byk for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    I’ve reached my year anniversary of beginning to play. I’m not as far along as I had hoped but perception is always different than reality, isn’t it?
    That it true. At 1.5 years, one way I know I'm improving is when one of my bad habits starts to get in the way of progress.

It is a fun ride tho!

It is a life long journey playing any instrument. That Breedlove is a pretty mandolin. A pretty lady with pretty mandolin, it seems fitting.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yeah it's a slow journey for me too. A fun one though!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

To you and Hudmister - I certainly hope in the future I can find some others to play with once I feel like I'm able to! I know it's fun playing along with a CD and I *know* that's nothing like real people. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    It is a life long journey playing any instrument. That Breedlove is a pretty mandolin. A pretty lady with pretty mandolin, it seems fitting.
    Aw shucks... Thanks. :-)

I should all that I've noticed some of my 'bad habits' have gone away over time - like my flying fingers. THAT gives me a good feeling for sure!

Good luck to all you out there. Music is therapy for the soul.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, good luck, and best wishes for the future!

My standard response to people complimenting my playing and asking how long I've been playing, is, "I've been at it for 46 years, and I figure if I stick with it, I'll get good, someday."

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    I know it's fun playing along with a CD and I *know* that's nothing like real people. LOL
    Very true. CDs don't speed up or slow down their tempo, they don't change the song you're playing in the middle of it, they don't play out of tune or spend half the night tuning, they don't insist on playing songs you've never heard of and then chide you for not knowing them, they don't show up drunk and proceed to get more trashed, they don't bring along unwanted guests, they don't smoke, or raid your refrigerator, or tease you or flirt with you, or drink up all your beer while bringing none of their own. Yeah, CDs are really boring ...

BTW, you'd probably be further along if you didn't spend so much time stalking Peter Buck.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I too am a little over a year and really enjoying the mandolin. I wish I had discovered it 40 years ago, I might be good by now....

I take lessons every other week and have been recording myself throughout, although it was painful to listen to at first I'm glad I did as I can hear how much better I am now. I'm starting to improvise and learn tunes quickly, got about a dozen under my fingers pretty good but slow.

Now I'm focusing on picking up some speed, seems that I need to practice playing fast. At slow tempos I can get thru a tune no problem but when picking up speed things fall apart so I'm practicing playing faster and getting back on when I fall off. I don't stop and start over I just keep going along with the recording and get back on as best I can.

Funny how such a small instrument can throw one off so quickly....
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Congratulations, good luck, and best wishes for the future!

BTW, you'd probably be further along if you didn't spend so much time stalking Peter Buck.
    Me???? Whatever. If only.

21. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I too am a little over a year and really enjoying the mandolin. I wish I had discovered it 40 years ago, I might be good by now....

I take lessons every other week and have been recording myself throughout, although it was painful to listen to at first I'm glad I did as I can hear how much better I am now. I'm starting to improvise and learn tunes quickly, got about a dozen under my fingers pretty good but slow.

Now I'm focusing on picking up some speed, seems that I need to practice playing fast. At slow tempos I can get thru a tune no problem but when picking up speed things fall apart so I'm practicing playing faster and getting back on when I fall off. I don't stop and start over I just keep going along with the recording and get back on as best I can.

Funny how such a small instrument can throw one off so quickly....
    Whenever I finish this lesson book I may see about some lessons from time to time.
    Anyway, your philosophy sounds like a good one! Enjoy!

23. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

One day everything will fall into place and you will ask your self, "How come I didn`t figure that out before"...Just pick a song that you like and play it over and over and you will find that you will add some little quirks every now and then and then you will be making music...

Willie (been playing more than Allen) and still learning...

25. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

I have been playing the mandolin for a little over a year, but I took a big break over the last 6 months. I bought a new km-150 recently and it has really ramped up my interest again. I have been trying to practice about 30 minutes a day. I have probably put in about 2 hours today( day off). I also wish that I had started sooner.

Steve
    Kentucky KM-150

I have been playing for just over 2 yrs. Always wanted to find someone to jam with - I can read music and play by ear I do take lessons- 1/2 hr each week I'm still nervous when I play in front of my teacher. So I think I will play for myself I enjoy playing and learning. If anything,it does make me be more patient. Maybe one day I will quit being a hermit and put myself,out there. I hear a song and try to figure out the melody-not always so good on figuring out which chords to play I don't always have lots of time to practice,every day. I do love playing this wonderful instrument and maybe when I'm 83 I won't care who I play for or if I screw up a song

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Scaggs View Post
    I have been playing the mandolin for a little over a year, but I took a big break over the last 6 months. I bought a new km-150 recently and it has really ramped up my interest again. I have been trying to practice about 30 minutes a day. I have probably put in about 2 hours today( day off). I also wish that I had started sooner.

Steve
    A KM-150 was my original mando. Enjoy it! I wish I had started about 20 years ago but hey, don't look back and just look forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I have been playing for just over 2 yrs. Always wanted to find someone to jam with - I can read music and play by ear I do take lessons- 1/2 hr each week I'm still nervous when I play in front of my teacher. So I think I will play for myself I enjoy playing and learning. If anything,it does make me be more patient. Maybe one day I will quit being a hermit and put myself,out there. I hear a song and try to figure out the melody-not always so good on figuring out which chords to play I don't always have lots of time to practice,every day. I do love playing this wonderful instrument and maybe when I'm 83 I won't care who I play for or if I screw up a song
    It may help if you film yourself and put it on Youtube... That helped me somewhat but then again, I've never played in front of anyone before! LOL

Blog Entries

Playing with others is among the most wonderful experiences available to human beings. Doing it regularly makes my life a connected whole thing.

That is entirely besides how great it is for accelerating progress.

Congratulations on one year, and on the new instrument. You are on your way, and in a couple of years you will sound like you have been playing a couple, three years.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

As soon as you can move smoothly thru chords you should find a jam that will let you play along in the background. This will develop your timing like nothing else and it's fun, you are involved in making music.

32. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Fortunately, living in Kentucky ought to mean there are plenty of other pickers around.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary! Guess I've been playing about 9 months now. Though I've cheated on that count a tad bit. Many years ago I bought a cheap no-brand $25 mandolin and learned a few basic chords, but it was a terrible mando. Stopped playing. Then later got another cheapo. Played a little then got rid of it. Then I was given (lucky me!) a 1912 Gibson A with the most beautiful tone, but the neck was not player friendly, least not for me. So it stayed in it's case mostly. Needless to say I didn't learn much. Until last spring and I finally got a good mandolin. What a difference it makes! I haven't been able to put it down since (except when I eat, sleep & work...darn it).