Thread: Tone-gard & tonyp

I wanted to send a public thanks to TonyP for his terrific producs, terrific service, and the overall kind way he treats everybody.

Thanks Tony for my new Vintage-Gard. It fits perfectly and I love the new material and paint you're using lately.

You're a huge asset to the mandolin community.

I wish you continued success.

All the best,
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tonegard.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	31193  
    Less talk, more pick.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken Sager For This Useful Post:

Last week while changing strings I decided to pull off the tonegard and generally do some cleaning. After restringing I'm sitting there saying to myself "It just doesn't sound right". I realized I hadn't put the tonegard back on. I put the gard back on and everything was again right with my world. I have them on both of the mandolins I play on stage.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I want one of those things for my Collings MT2. What is the best thing for me to do to find one that will fit mine? I am in nashville, TN. I am sort of a newbie to the tone guard world but I have heard the difference on my friends Vintage Daley F5

Tony's website is here.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Best. Tonegard. Evar! Can I get a Yeah Whale?

I have two of the old ones and they work perfectly, however, I'm getting square-stock envy.
    Can't I just leave well enough alone? No, I can't. My Bush couldn't sound or play better, but am I happy??? No. I put a new James tail-peice on last week. A new Tonegard would just look fabulous with it. IS THERE NO CURE???
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.

I have one of the new and the old. Both work great, but the new looks terrific. The old don't look bad with a new coat of paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010026.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	31194  

I love mine.... if it broke I'd buy another in a heartbeat!

Blog Entries

He just sent me one for my Mandola and it REALLY works well on that instrument. I am a complete believer in Tonegards! Thanks Tony!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Thumb's up! Tony is a really nice fella & can pick a mean mando too!
    I call him the "Tonemeister"

I recently took delivery of a "new style" TG to replace one that I foolishly sold a few years ago. I prefer the new one in a lot of ways. Most importantly, the back pads are attached directly to the metal instead of on the little rubber skirts. Those rubber skirts always tended to twist around, which was a distraction on an otherwise great product.

Since I put the Gard on my mandolin and got a Blue Chip pick, the volume and low end of my Passernig are really rocking.
    Passernig #42

Nobody seems to be trying to talk me out of ordering a new one. I'm so weak.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon

Clyde, Let me help you out. I'll PM you my address, send me the old ones, I have two more mandolins that need them. Then, you can buy two new ones. I'm an expatriated Oregonian, they'll feel right at home.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks for the idea, Mike. I have a Givens A-5, my couch mandolin that doesn't have a Tonegard, I just tried it on and it's a perfect fit, now I need another one. I'll be able to sleep tonight.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon

Default Re: Tone-gard & tonyp

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Sager View Post
    I wanted to send a public thanks to TonyP for his terrific producs, terrific service, and the overall kind way he treats everybody.

Thanks Tony for my new Vintage-Gard. It fits perfectly and I love the new material and paint you're using lately.

You're a huge asset to the mandolin community.

I wish you continued success.

All the best,
    Ken
    Just ordered a Tone Gard for my brand new Eastman MDO-305 Octave and I had to post thanks to Tony Pires and some praise for the Tone-Gard. Tony was a pleasure to deal with and his customer service is first class. I went from wondering whether I could get a Tone Gard for my OM at 2:17 to having completed a secure payment feeling confident I was going to get the right product delivered promptly only a few minutes later. It feels good to feel good after buying something online! As far as praise for the Tone-Gard, I have noticed that in all of the threads I have read through there are very few comments about the subsidiary benefits of the Tone-Gard. I did see that a satisfied customer noted one in another thread:
    "A ToneGard also makes a convenient mounting point for clip-on mics that mount with an alligator clip like the Audio Technica ATM350 and Pro 35, or the K&K Silver Bullet. I'm not sure I'd get one just for that application if I didn't notice the tone enhancement effect (which I do, although it's subtle), since there are other mics like the DPA 4099 that are "self mounting." But it's a nice little extra benefit if you have a ToneGard anyway."
    I would add that an additional reason I like mine for my A-style mandolin is the weight it adds. When I play seated it helps balance the mandolin in my lap. The extra weight, along with the metal pieces on the side and back, help stabilize the mandolin (one of the only reasons I envy F-style players, who have the point to help with this). Anyway, I love my new Eastman OM, but the balance issue is even more acute, so the Tone-Gard will provide this ancillary benefit along with the primary tonal contribution.

Tony makes a killer product! Plus he’s great guy. Best combination is the Tone-Gard and a armrest. Allows the top and back to vibrate freely.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Wow..a 12 year necrothread resurrected. Have to affirm though. My Rigel has a TG. So does the Eastman MD-515. Both also sport Longhollow Softy straps (as does the El Rey). All my traditional body F-5's have benefitted from a McClung otp arm rest. All of these help my ergonomics and mechanics. NFI but wanted to recognize excellent products. In the case of Tony and Doug in particular, well, I bought the first time because of the product. I repeated because of the people behind the product.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

19. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Not sure if Tony P. still offers them but I have Tonegards for my soprano and concert size ukes.

And two for mandolins. They are all about 20 years old.

Got some of the new inert-er plastic tubing a while back.

Smile Re: Tone-gard & tonyp

I found someone* to powder coat my early version, using round wire, welded. it's even better now ..
    initially he simply painted them .

*A friend has a powder coat biz, I just left it for months until a bigger job
    of the same gloss black came in, & it was cheap/free..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

My pals laughed about the “cage” when i first got it. Oddly, on my A5 it doesn’t add a lot, but the F5 it’s night & day - so i showed them the difference and they were off down to the local takeout to purchase some humble pie...

Has anyone ever put one on a guitar (it’s possible IIRC)? Worth it?
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Has anyone ever put one on a guitar (it’s possible IIRC)? Worth it?
    Yes - I have a friend in Ann Arbor who had a late 20s L5 and Tony made him a Tone Guard for it. Even included his initials in the design. He loved it. That was years ago, but last time I was on Tony's site there was still a pic of my buddy and the L5 with Tone Guard.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Love, love, love my tonegards! A mandola I purchased came with one and I was shocked at the difference with vs without. I had one for my other dola and my OM ordered within a day

Got a Tone-gard for my Eastman octave. Fits like a glove, helps to balance the instrument, and of course, helps make it sound its best when the back is being stifled by my beer belly!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	654BDA70-7237-438D-B65A-3E587CC6F86B.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	572.1 KB 
ID:	187674

26. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post: