Thread: Huntington WV, Events?

Default Huntington WV, Events?

Is there any jams or workshops near Huntington, WV.

Default Re: Huntington WV, Events?

Hiya, I'm in Ashland KY, just a few minutes away. I assume you're looking for bluegrass opportunities? I don't go to the bluegrass jams but know that there are several around here. There is a Saturday night jam on Route 10 just outside of Huntington. I've never been to it so I can't comment on what they play, how good it is, or even how to get there. The guys at Rt 60 Music may know. There's the Saturday night jam at the Hitchens Post (a store) outside of Grayson KY. It's been years since I went to it but I know it was still going last winter. It can be sort of high level depending on who shows up.

I thought of another. It's a bit of a drive, but Appalshop in Whitesburg KY has Saturday jams during the winter months. It's one Saturday a month but I can't remember if it's the first or last Saturday of the month. It's been a long time since I've attended, but I always found it to be a very inclusive jam for people of all skill levels. There used to usually be both an old time jam and a bluegrass jam. Another option is to attend some of the bluegrass shows held during the winter months at the Mountaineer Opry House in Milton or at the Blue Ribbon Fox Hunter's lodge outside of Catlettsburg. Both have some really good shows from time to time are good places to meet like minded players.

4. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    I thought of another. It's a bit of a drive, but Appalshop in Whitesburg KY has Saturday jams during the winter months. It's one Saturday a month but I can't remember if it's the first or last Saturday of the month. .
    These Appalshop jams are on the first Saturday of the month. They play mostly old-time and a lot of it. They start around 1 and play as long as folks want. I've been there sometimes and there have been as many as 10 players or as few as 3. Some fine fiddlers play there.

In Paintsville, KY there is a jam every Thursday night at 7pm at the US 23 Country Music Highway Museum. They play a lot of bluegrass and gospel but also some old time and old country.

Prestonsburg, KY has jams at the Mountain Arts Center on Friday nights 6-8pm during the summer.

If you're in Huntington definitely check with the guys at Rt 60 music about the jam ToneDeaf mentioned. That sounds like a good one to me. I may try to check it out soon myself. Good Luck!

Thank you guys for the help. I will be looking into several of these.