Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Grisman's Dawg pick

Default Re: David Grisman's Dawg pick

On mando--back in bluegrass/old-timey days-- I used Dawgs exclusively and have been for about a decade or more. Initially I used the GG, but find a significant difference between them (apparently, somewhat uncommonly) and am now "unable" to use a GG since switching to Dawgs--to me the GG feels of a different material. However, these days I rarely play mando at all and when I do it's ITM, so I no longer use Dawgs and just use what I'm playing on CBOMs--usually a small teardrop "jazz" Fender

I also like the PP, Jazz Mando...but only have a couple of those laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I've long been baffled by some of the analyses offered in pick threads, saying this pick produces this tone and so on. I've always thought the user produced the tone by how he used the pick, not with which pick he used.
    I've found that there's not an enormous difference in the tone others hear from practically any pick, it's entirely down to how you wield it. Sure, in my head, while I'm playing it sounds totally different (because of the different feel), but if I record it and play it back I will easily fail to guess which pick is which. In tests where I've played for others with different picks, the test invariably ends with the listener saying: "okay, so when are you going to change the pick?"

There's a video on Mike Marshall's site where he's answering questions about pick choice, and he says something like that a thin pick sounds thin, a thick pick sounds thicker, and that a pointy pick sounds pointy, and he isn't even joking. Because while we play, the way the pick feels in our hands changes what we hear in our ears (because our hands and ears are connected by our brains).

To me, the point of selecting a pick isn't that the pick produces a particular tone, but that the pick makes it easier for me to produce the tone I was already trying to make. Or perhaps more importantly than that, simply that it "feels right".

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

That's an astute observation David. Feel is a salient aspect in all of this (playing music stuff). You should see the "hammer" collections--of which we'll never have enough--amassed by long-time hammered dulcimer players...typically filling multiple cans like paint brushes in a painter's studio

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    That's an astute observation David. Feel is a salient aspect in all of this (playing music stuff). You should see the "hammer" collections amassed by hammered dulcimer players...of which we'll never have enough
    I tremble at the thought.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Really hammers the point home.

Yes, ease of play is another practical consideration. So is grip, addressed above.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Down right pounds the nail!
    I have used the Dunlops so long that I am still having a hard time getting used to the "V"pick. I used to go through a Dunlop Tortex lavender in about four hours of hard playing, I just grind the point to a stub when I really lay into it. The "V" pick, I have not put the hours into yet, we shall see.
    Excellent observation David, well said indeed.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Sure, in my head, while I'm playing it sounds totally different (because of the different feel), but if I record it and play it back I will easily fail to guess which pick is
    I just did this. Made a recording testing with a CT55, new Dawg, proplec, new triangle Dunlop, wegen tp140, wegen m150, ultex 1.14 large triangle...if I didn't know the pick being used I'd have a very hard time picking out which pick was picked...er, uh...yeah.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Blog Entries

Interesting timing for this thread. The famous Dawg pick turned-up in a very unexpected place this past week...
    Rig Rundown: Tommy Emmanuel, CGP
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I havent tryed it for guitar i have been playing mostly mando for the past few mounthd i will try it tomorrow
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I like the Dawg picks-both the earlier and more recent versions. I also play with the blue chip SR that is shapely similarly to the Dawg 2 pick. I love the tone of both but they are different. It seems that I play one for a while and then start desiring the subtle differences of the other and switch for a while. One does require a slightly different right hand emphasis than the other. I like this too. I do think that the Dawg takes some time before you figure out how to make it sound like you want but once you do it is quite satisfying. Lately I have been playing the blue chip but its time to get the Dawg out of the house again.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

When you talk about older Dawg pick what do you mean? Are there 2 versions of the pick that has "Dawg" stamped on it? Or are you talking about the original Golden Gate made pick with the "David Grisman" stamped on it?

I used to love those picks when playing my '84 KM-1000. I WAS trying to soften the trebles and get more fat tone. The new ones are nice too.

I wonder which one the original poster found.

Blog Entries

This is the image that appeared in the Tommy Emmanuel article. This is different from the one I mentioned, which didn't have a point (though really, this one's point isn't that protuberant), but each corner was the same, like an equilateral triangle. My interest in that pick came and went pretty quickly, and that was quite some time ago, so I did not know of any changes in the Dawg design. As the conversation has progressed, it became apparent to me that something had changed, so I began to refer to it as the original Dawg pick, to differentiate it from any updated version(s), which I had not seen, until now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawg Pick.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	123623

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

15. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I'd like to try that one.

I think that is the Dawg I have. I went back and played it again last night and after 5 minutes got a little more used to it.

Interesting, I think it requires a more flat dead on approach to the strings to get the most from it. The roundness of it is tough to get between strings if you angle it much. The pointier WegenTF140 requires a more angled grip or strike angle to get the best tone. So I think a lot depends on your strike angle.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

My fav is the forbidden (T) pick but have used the original dawg quite a bit. Sort of liked it but everyones right... they seem to dampen the trebles. Migrated to a wegen same shape and then settled on a BC also similar shape.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

There have been three versions (to my knowledge) The first said "David Grisman" and came in a few colors, black, white & imitation TS, then the second said "Dawg" with all the corners about the same in imitation TS, and more recently "Dawg" with the shape pictured above, where one corner has more of a point, again in imitation TS. The manufacturer changed at one time as well.

Grisman could get better tone with a piece of cardboard than I do with any of the above picks (all of which I have used over the years)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I tremble at the thought.
    You should, instead, flam or quaver (or even semiquaver) at this..

I use a lot of different picks, depending on my mood, feel, and the tune being played. I have a number of DAWG picks in my collection. Similar to David's comment above, I think tone comes from the player much more than the pick. In my own experience, I can get a sound that I like very easily with a couple of different picks. The DAWG pick, OTOH, requires a good deal more finesse. However, when my playing is "ON" and I'm using the DAWG pick, I get an absolutely wonderful tone. Just huge and lush. I actually have as a personal goal to play with such focus that I can get that tone any time I play. For now, it's a hit-and-miss thing for me, and I'm easily drawn back to the "easier to use" picks.
    Think globally, bike locally.

been using them since the 80's just wish they were a bit larger..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    been using them since the 80's just wish they were a bit larger..
    I've got just the pick for you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640px-11g_poker_chips.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	123667

Re:"The manufacturer changed at one time as well."

Around 2003 d'Andrea changed the material they were using for the Dawg and Pro-Plec picks. The new material was harder, darker in color, and brighter in sound. Grisman discontinued the manufacture of Dawg picks until the original material was restored.

25. The following members say thank you to barry for this post:

Blog Entries

I must say, the wealth and breadth of information provided by our members is often astounding. I guess that, with over 36,000 members, it's a fair assumption that someone will know something about nearly everything. Add into that that half of the members have never even posted once, it's even more impressive. Of course, I'm assuming the previous post is based on fact. I prefer to believe. It's better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I must say, the wealth and breadth of information provided by our members is often astounding. I guess that, with over 36,000 members, it's a fair assumption that someone will know something about nearly everything.
    Although in fact it's always the same half a dozen people who know everything.

Blog Entries

No, it just seems that way. The tally is more like a couple few dozen, maybe as much as eleventy-seven.

I've got a Dawg pic I guess the old style all the corners are about the same. I've tried all kinds, super thin to super thick even felt. I don't play a particular style so the Dawg too riged and rounded of a point too be really versatile (for me). For practicle reasons I prefer run of the mill brown Fender M. I have a strange 3 finger pic gripping style that allows me to bend the pic to add rigidity and can easily turn the pic to be flatter (less pointy). Also dirt cheap, since it's brown (my favorite color) noone steals them, plus you can buy them anywhere you can find pics!!!