Thread: More options coming...

Default More options coming...

Eastwood is promoting this being built soon.

https://eastwoodcustoms.com/wp-conte...icky-mando.jpg

It appears they have the funding done, so now it is just a wait and see for the product.

http://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/...dolin-tribute/
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

Default Re: More options coming...

That is most certainly a Rickenbacker rip off.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    That is most certainly a Rickenbacker rip off.
    the term, "Rip Off" is pejorative. Rickenbacker no longer builds an emando. Another company strives to provide an emando in the marketplace and you seem irritated.

NFI, just making an observation.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

They call it a tribute. I wonder if they have Rickenbacker's blessing and or licensing agreement to build them?

The name is only 33% similar to "Rickenbacker", so I think there is legally no basis you could claim that this is intended to confuse customers. :-)
    Now I will go work my business plan to sell "Straty" guitars.

Now I will go work my business plan to sell "Straty" guitars.
    It's interesting to me where people think that "copyright infringement" line should be. The half of the electric guitars in the world that aren't Strat copies are Les Paul copies. Yet no one seems to mind. So why be bothered by a copy of an instrument that is no longer made?
    Mitch Russell

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

My understanding from prior conversation in the Cafe is that the headstock design is the only part of the Ricky protected by patent. The body shape, soundholes, placement of electronics, etc are all public domain. I am informed by my intellectual property attorney brother that such patents usually are an in toto arrangement. In other words, change script to block, go from screen to inlay, etc. and you have room to walk safely around concerns about patent infringement. In this case, it is removing the contrast headstock banner on which the brand appears and putting the Eastwood name with a contrast outline around the letters. IMO the legal dept. at Eastwood gets an A for their due diligence.
    Last edited by Dave Greenspoon; Dec-16-2016 at 10:17pm.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

the Ric had a two piece maple mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    It's interesting to me where people think that "copyright infringement" line should be. The half of the electric guitars in the world that aren't Strat copies are Les Paul copies. Yet no one seems to mind. So why be bothered by a copy of an instrument that is no longer made?
    My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    the term, "Rip Off" is pejorative. Rickenbacker no longer builds an emando. Another company strives to provide an emando in the marketplace and you seem irritated.

NFI, just making an observation.

f-d
    OK- lets call it "very heavily influenced" then. I used to have one of those Ricks. It was a very cool instrument. I didn't know they weren't making them any more. I traded mine for a 1954 Gibson EM- 150 and never looked back.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    "The applicant(Fender) has not established acquired distinctiveness such that these two-dimensional outlines of guitar bodies, standing alone, serve to indicate source," the TTAB concluded. "The evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that these configurations are so common in the industry that they cannot identify source."

I believe the Les Paul suit was tossed because the knock off in question was easily distinguishable form an original at a set distance that equated to the distance one would see a guitar on display in a store.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    My point exactly.
    To say nothing of the fact that a large majority of the mandolins discussed on this forum are Gibson A and F model copies.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

13. The following members say thank you to s1m0n for this post:

bobcoe 

I still wish I could afford one of these.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

...sorry..................don`t get it....

Many companies like Rickenbacker only enforce their IP in the US - and they do so with some vigor - and largely ignore the wider world. Eastwood gets around it because they are a Canadian company.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -