Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dash Crofts

Default Re: Dash Crofts

I'd just about forgotten S&C until this article, One of the finest concerts I ever saw was them in Late 72 or early 73 in Indianapolis.
    Jim Richmond

Anyone know how he got that sound? In the video on eMando he gets his (acoustic!) to sound, to my non-expert ears, indistinguishable from a '70s rock lead style electric.

I think Dash was quite plugged in with the early boxes and pedals... he was kind of like the Hendrix of the mandolin! One thing to realize about these guys is that they were both EXTREMELY accomplished musicians. Jim and Dash were both members of The Champs (ever here of the song "TEQUILA!"? with Seals on sax and Crofts on drums. Another thing I recall about that concert at the Fillmore East was Jim Seals doing what I guess was Tuvan throat singing... way before it became noticed by the rest of the world. Both these cats are heavy, heavy players and created a music that was not only ahead of its time, but right ON time. Would love to see them re-unite and tour again... would probably be quite the show. Dash... come in Dash... interview time on The Cafe!

Right on Glassweb.......Dash & Jimmy were very accomplished musicians. If I recall correctly Jimmy was a state fiddle champ in TX as a youth. I remember that fiddle tune they did on one of their albums was FANTASTIC!!!!!

i guess a lot of us are thinking/hearing the same thing about now?? seals&croft,very good stuff this time of the season..always good,really..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

And one more thing re: Dash on the mandolin.....:-) I loved his mandolin playing on the tune Windflowers......what a great piece of music that is and fine mandolin playing. Here is the link to the California Jam version.......doesn't do justice to the fine mandolin one hears on the album but I love the tremolo near the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZda7Ftd2L4

Yeah Jim... you're right! I think he did pull out the fiddle at that Fillmore show and blow everyone's mind. You know it's funny... when I went and bought those tickets I remember seeing the name Seals and Crofts on the bill and thought "what is this... an animal act at the Fillmore?" What an idiot... I had no idea what Seals and Crofts "was"! I actually thought Bill Graham was gonna bring some weird circus act on stage!!! I'm gonna go do some research and find out exactly when that show was and who was on the bill...

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    Anyone know how he got that sound? In the video on eMando he gets his (acoustic!) to sound, to my non-expert ears, indistinguishable from a '70s rock lead style electric.
    The video was on JazzMando, not Emando ... I don't have any videos of Dash posted (obviously I'm behind the curve!). And in that video he's playing a solidbody Gibson EM200 with a P-90 pickup. He gets an electric sound because he's playing an electric instrument. In other photos he has an EM150 or a pumpkin A with a DeArmond pickup. You can get a lead guitar sound out of any of those.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    And to tell the truth, I'm not sure it really registered with me that there was a mandolin in their music: hearing only their singles on the radio, never seeing them on TV - and I'm betting not live either (I'd think I'd remember) - not owning their records at the time so not familiar with album cuts where mandolin was featured more prominently and/or more acoustically. Younger people might not understand how life was when there was not such a plethora of information available via home computers and this interweb thingy.
    Exactly. I had no idea how much of their music was mandolin-based and back then I wasn't listening for mandolins. I just LOVED their picking and harmonies. The bridge in Hummingbird always blew me away.

OK, here we go... just what I thought. On Feb 6th & 7th 1970 Seals and Crofts were the opening act for Delaney and Bonnie at the Fillmore East. During this particular weekend Delaney and Bonnie had some guitarist named Eric Clapton playing with them and, if I recall correctly, he played the whole concert with his back turned to the audience... what a ###### that chap! A one-man band named Wilbur Harrison (I believe he composed the San Fransisco Bay Blues) was the act between S&C and D&B. Now here's the crazy part of this story. The afternoon the day before the show I was hanging out on St. Mark's Place and was approached by some n'ere-do-well who wanted to sell me "something red from Lebanon"... you know what I mean! Anyway, the young ninny that I was (16 at the time) I followed this cat over to the lettered streets (in those days you NEVER went past 1st Ave) and followed him into a funky looky brownstone... I knew I was in for trouble, but my lust for the illicit was quite strong in those days. Sure enough... he pulled out some aluminum foil and wrapped up inside it was not the chunky red material I was looking for, but A SWITCHBLADE... which he immediately engaged and then stuck up to my chest asking for my wallet. I didn't even blink... just handed it over. But damn... I remembered that my tix for Delaney & Bonnie were in the wallet so I begged him, pleaded to him to just give me my tickets back. "Yeah, OK... but don't leave the building till after I'm gone or I'll kill you!" No problem guv'ner! He gave me the tickets and my wallet, took the twenty bucks and lit out. You know, I was never really afraid of getting hurt... I was so strung out for those tix I didn't think of anything else... what a memory! Sure enough, I made it to the Fillmore the next night and found out that Seals and Crofts were not a circus act but a kick-ass group doing amazing, totally unique music (even then their sound was completely different from everyone else). I even managed to enjoy Wilbur Harrison and the Delaney and Bonnie set with that "######" named Clapton. Oh, dem's was da daze...
    Last edited by Glassweb; Jun-27-2010 at 11:04pm.

11. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

What a story, Glassweb!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    The video was on JazzMando, not Emando ... I don't have any videos of Dash posted (obviously I'm behind the curve!). And in that video he's playing a solidbody Gibson EM200 with a P-90 pickup. He gets an electric sound because he's playing an electric instrument. In other photos he has an EM150 or a pumpkin A with a DeArmond pickup. You can get a lead guitar sound out of any of those.
    Ha, shows what I know about electric mandolins. That Gibson does look a bit like a two-point acoustic with a pickup in the sound hole if – like me – you're not sure what you're looking at.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've been searching youtube for a live version that stands up to the recorded one. Most of them seem to be acoustic and don't have that tripling je ne sais quoi magic in the riff on the recording - which I present with a nice slide show.

This is a live version twenty years on! Dash is having a bit of fun messing with the camera. Hang in till the end for a closeup of him playing the riff, and you will never need to ask for tab.

And finally, an acoustic version from 1972 - I'm very much OK with mandolin being a bit up in the mix - no footage but in the clumsy slide show is sheet music ...

PS: Sorry guys - lthe net effect makes it look like I butted in or something ... oh well ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

You know John... I remember it all like it was yesterday... crazy, huh?

Great story Glassweb. Glad you are still among the living after that encounter.....:-) Peace, Jim

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That first video of "High On A Mountain" is a revelation - I had no idea anyone was playing mandolin that rocked-out back then. Great solo. And he had a capo on! Also, what was with the camera operator? Or is it the editor or director who's out to lunch? We hardly see the mandolin till there's less than a minute left. It's as if they don't know where all those riffs and fills are coming from. Lots of screen time devoted to the trumpet though ...
    Last edited by journeybear; Jun-30-2010 at 12:26am.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I thought maybe it was time to revisit this old thread--cool article on Seals and Crofts in Feb Texas Monthly:
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...summer-breeze/
    Russ Jordan

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

Great read. Thanks, Russ. Dash lives near Johnson City, TX, west of Austin and north of San Antonio. Population 2051.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

21. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Great photo in that article!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C714AD51-A060-47D3-A2E6-B88AF6903988.jpeg 
Views:	290 
Size:	985.1 KB 
ID:	183621
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Well when the wind blows down in Cisco, Texas. . .