Thread: Cluck Old Hen

Default Cluck Old Hen

Hello to everyone
    In addition to learning scales,chords,and in general,being somewhat successful in hitting all my notes- My teacher wanted me to focus on a song-and play the melody and the chords-hopefully at the same speed
    This song is "Cluck Old Hen" I have seen the YouTube video from the cafe
    I also looked at videos from other artist-It was discouraging to say the least
    I know this is an old song-played blue-grass speed-It takes awhile to get the muscle memory
    I am playing from the Fiddler's Fakebook-I thought I wasn't sounding too bad-in some of these videos-I could barely make out the melody (no kidding)They do improvise and I guess that is what is throwing me off
    It is normal to compare how you sound to others-and I know they are professional musicians-wow I don't think I will ever be cocky,when it comes to playing a mandolin
    What I think I'm trying to say(long way around) maybe just listen to the songs and I also seem to recall that there is a website that plays slowed-down versions of songs or would that be dumbing myself down,in the long run??
    I am hard on myself,but I guess I need to suck it up and know that I am going to suck for awhile-sorry to ramble-but I know some of you have been there and sorta know where my mind is
    Later
    Joni

Default Re: Cluck Old Hen

Audacity is free software that lets you change the tempo without changing the pitch, and will open mp4s downloaded from YouTube.

Very happy to send you a slowed down version of 'Cluck Old Hen', just pm me.

3. The following members say thank you to houseworker for this post:

Joni 

I think anything that helps you learn is an asset, and would not "dumb you down." I think we all would like to play faster, especially on a tune like Cluck Old Hen, but you have to learn to walk before you can run. Take your time, the speed and co-ordination will come. Incidentally, one of the finest, most soulful, renditions I've ever heard of that tune was by Bryan Bowers singing and strumming along with his autoharp at Winfield one stormy evening in a cattle barn. I never heard the tune played slower than he played it, and it was beautiful.

Here's a link to the Song a Week group where you can see a bunch of us with varying abilities play it. I don't know if that will make you feel better or worse, but it should at least give you some ideas.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...394&do=discuss

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the input My parents were raised in Kentucky-so I heard alot of bluegrass in my life and I have always loved it I seen the Sierra Hull /Allison Kraus version I do believe that mandolin cafe has a couple of videos,on YouTube of Cluck Old Hen
    I got on Spotify to see what versions they had I listened to the Bryan Bowers version-that is beautiful-listened to Ralph Stanley Went to my iphone-itunes had a remix version-slowed down-very catchy but not traditional-kinda a bluesy bluegrass version that you could dance to sorta like a line dance-anywho I really like this version
    If you get a chance-this guy is a producer-but goes by Monster Taxi-Cluck Old Hen(line dance Mix)maybe I like it cause it has a good beat and you can dance to it(miss ya',Dick Clark) Tell me what you think of this
    Thanks
    Joni

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I think anything that helps you learn is an asset, and would not "dumb you down." I think we all would like to play faster, especially on a tune like Cluck Old Hen, but you have to learn to walk before you can run. Take your time, the speed and co-ordination will come. Incidentally, one of the finest, most soulful, renditions I've ever heard of that tune was by Bryan Bowers singing and strumming along with his autoharp at Winfield one stormy evening in a cattle barn. I never heard the tune played slower than he played it, and it was beautiful.
    I downloaded the Bryan Bowers version,on my iphone-it is beautiful-I think I could maybe,keep up with that version lol
    Thanks
    Joni

10. The following members say thank you to Joni for this post:

Griff