Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson f9 or Collings MF

Default Re: Gibson f9 or Collings MF

Also when comes time to sell the mandolin I think the Gibson will have the best resale value. That is something to think about.
    ntriesch

What tune was that? It is haunting!

Quote Originally Posted by laura809 View Post
    I have a Gibson F5G and a Collings MT2. I love them both, but I play the F5G a little more often than the Collings. The tone sounds more traditional. I almost bought an MF when I was shopping for an F style, but I already had the Collings MT2, and wanted something that would offer more variation in tone. The Gibson neck has a slightly narrower fretboard, but I think the neck profile might be slightly deeper than the Collings. I find both necks pretty comfortable, but you may find you have a preference. I did a sound comparison with the F5G, Collings MT2, and my old oval hole Gibson A recently.

Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

3. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    What tune was that? It is haunting!
    I thought the same thing. What a beautiful tune, and well played. I liked it so much, I had to search it out and add it to my repertoire.

The title of the video is "White Petticoat". You can get the tab for it here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/whitepetticoat.txt It's in E minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    Also when comes time to sell the mandolin I think the Gibson will have the best resale value. That is something to think about.
    I believe my 2004 MF5 would bring more money and sell faster than my 2003 F5L "Fern" if I had to get some quick cash.

IMO when buying a mandolin you need to play abunch, the sound is very important but the way it "feel's" in your hands is just as important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I thought the same thing. What a beautiful tune, and well played. I liked it so much, I had to search it out and add it to my repertoire.

The title of the video is "White Petticoat". You can get the tab for it here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/whitepetticoat.txt It's in E minor.
    It's a Song of The Week in the Song of The Week Group here in the Cafe:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...450&do=discuss

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bluegrass = Gibson
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tburcham For This Useful Post:

I like my Collings MF. In all fairness,every new Gibson I've ever played is now an old Gibson. Based on what I've heard recently, today's new Gibsons are fine instruments. I'd find a dealer who carries both, play 'em back to back, then decide. Everybody's different. I have no idea what you like.
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Only way to make decision is side-by side compares if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by laura809 View Post
    I have a Gibson F5G and a Collings MT2. I love them both, but I play the F5G a little more often than the Collings. The tone sounds more traditional. I almost bought an MF when I was shopping for an F style, but I already had the Collings MT2, and wanted something that would offer more variation in tone. The Gibson neck has a slightly narrower fretboard, but I think the neck profile might be slightly deeper than the Collings. I find both necks pretty comfortable, but you may find you have a preference. I did a sound comparison with the F5G, Collings MT2, and my old oval hole Gibson A recently.

Nice playing Laura....I like the old Gibson the best.

Nice Playing Laura...I like the sound of the old Gibson A The best.

With that budget, I'd probably go with an Ellis A or a Kimble A.

Blog Entries

I've got an F9. I love it, I'd prefer it for a playing mandolin over even an F5G... I love the F9's tone and power, I really like the F9's simplicity, and I really like not having a nervous breakdown every time I get a scratch in it. I do prefer the Gibson tone in a mando. So the F9 is all the mandolin I need.

Mine is a 2002, from during the summer of the year it was released so it's a CD vintage instrument. It's got a nice finish, simple but nice wood, stoutly built. It's a little crude and unfinished in some spots, but it's also pretty sophisticated in a lot of ways. It does have a Master Model label, whatever that means.

I've added a few bolt-on items to my F9: a pick guard, an armrest, a tone guard and a tuner. Oh, and I had to make a new nut for it, the original one got broken in a Hercules grabber-stand. Other than that it's pretty stock.

I got mine in trade for a banjo that I arranged for a friend, so I probably have about $2500 in it which wasn't bad at the time. I suspect if you can find one it will probably be about that much or less now. There aren't a lot of them out there, especially the early ones. The Gibson name on the peghead does make a difference in sales.

I really like the idea of getting both an F9 and a Collings for your target $4500. Then you're set.

Have fun!

-- Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F9 Announcement.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	145590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-11_20-14-34_61.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	145591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-11_19-11-10_380.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	145592  

When I wanted to upgrade both those instruments were on my list. I tried a single F9 which I was not impressed with and a few months later tried a Collings MF which I purchased. I was not able to play one of each instrument side by side. I believe that each mandolin is unique in its sound so definitely play as many as you can. The difficult thing can be finding them to try, as has been mentioned on the site many times. My Collings MF was definitely the right one for me. I love the sound. Good Luck in your shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by gcj View Post
    Which would you select between Gibson F9 or Collings MF? Or would you buy something different in <$4500 price range. The mandolin would be used primarily, but not exclusively for bluegrass.
    Up to 4,500, there are tons of options.

There are a few key differences between Gibsons and Collings at that pricepoint. The fretboard radius, for one, the visual quality of the wood on the back, the aesthetics, build quality and attention to detail, neck profile, and the tone (subjective).

Collings has a more radiused fretboard, and their wood is (typically) more figured and consistent across the back in the MF compared to an F9 or F5G. The Collings pick guards are also smaller, more an aesthetic choice than anything. Neck shape is slightly different as well... The tones are fairly different, whereas Collings are consistent across the neck, Gibsons have some characteristic tonal ranges in the F9 and F5G that stand out (less so in an F5MM).

You need to play several of them and see which one fits your hands, eyes, and ears best, as little else will matter much in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    Up to 4,500, there are tons of options.

There are a few key differences between Gibsons and Collings at that pricepoint. The fretboard radius, for one, the visual quality of the wood on the back, the aesthetics, build quality and attention to detail, neck profile, and the tone (subjective).

Collings has a more radiused fretboard, and their wood is (typically) more figured and consistent across the back in the MF compared to an F9 or F5G. The Collings pick guards are also smaller, more an aesthetic choice than anything. Neck shape is slightly different as well... The tones are fairly different, whereas Collings are consistent across the neck, Gibsons have some characteristic tonal ranges in the F9 and F5G that stand out (less so in an F5MM).

You need to play several of them and see which one fits your hands, eyes, and ears best, as little else will matter much in the end.
    By the way, Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store has a used F5G in lovely condition with Waverly's for 4,500... that's actually a very fair price. The stain is dark, but the back looks to have nice figuring.

18. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post: