Thread: This is not a brag...

Default This is not a brag...

...but I had to come share. I worked out a Sarah Jarosz break. It's from She Left Me Standing On The Mountain. I'm playing something that Sarah Jarosz played. Of course she recorded it when she was about 16, and I can only manage it at about 1/3 speed, but I figured it out.

This may not sound impressive, and I guess it's really not, but it's the first time I worked something out by ear, and just by doing that I learned a whole bunch about how to move around the neck.

And I really like Sarah Jarosz.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BadExampleMan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: This is not a brag...

That's my favorite part of playing musical instruments. Through a process which is itself fun, you get to build the ability to do something you previously thought impossible. Pretty cool.

Every great player has learned from previous great players. You learn so much when you learn solos. Congrats!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Good for you! That's a noteworthy accomplishment. Now you can put your own spin to it if you choose.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

And who knows - maybe in the near future Sarah will be on this very thread telling us how she has just learned a great phrase or lick from someone who posts as BadExampleMan! This is what makes music such a great thing to be a part of. We all learn form each in other in so many ways, and that feeling of success you mention is what motivates us all in our playing journey.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    And who knows - maybe in the near future Sarah will be on this very thread telling us how she has just learned a great phrase or lick from someone who posts as BadExampleMan!
    Sure, it could happen - if I live to be 130.